Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What I really Like about my Harbor Freight Tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Given their cost, when the need arises none are above the Ultimate Sacrifice. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
Rand
biggrin.gif I may not always sacrifice a tool. But when I do, it's from HF.
wes
Coast effective for one time use, most times.
7TPorsh
What's the issue? I have several of these HF "Allen Wrench Pry Bar Drives." :-)
toolguy
Given the current sub par craftsman tools, which apparently are no longer made in USA , the Harbor Freight Pittsburg line which is guaranteed for life is certainly an alternative. . Next thing available is Matco or Snap-on at 2-3 times the price. For general use tools in everyday use and being readily available, I must admit I have an assortment of them in my toolbox but still view them as somewhat disposable.
turnaround89
I've started going with the Kobalt line of tools at Lowes. Was a little skeptical on how they would handle the "hassle-free warannty." Lowes handles it just like Sears does with Craftsman. You break a tool, just take it in and they exchange it.

Just recently broke a set of kobalt diagonal pliers, Lowes exchanged them without question.

Harbor Freight is great for one time use tools.

They also have the best prices for knotted wire wheels for angle grinders. About 8 dollars cheaper than anywhere else, and they work great!
cary
I was surprised how easy it was to get a Lifetime replacement at HF. Used a 3/8 flex handle where I should have been using a 3/4. LOL. Snapped that bitch like a twig. Took the 500# Snap On impact wrench to get it off.

Carlyle line at NAPA is another good choice.

76-914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 5 2016, 09:14 PM) *

Stupidity, mostly. hissyfit.gif I forgot the the "final 1/8 turn" needed to torque the Subaru heads. headbang.gif It would have required removing the R cam tower, timing chain, gears, re-indexing & yadi, yadi, yadi. Saved about 4 hr's labor. beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 6 2016, 06:18 AM) *

Stupidity, mostly. hissyfit.gif I forgot the the "final 1/8 turn" needed to torque the Subaru heads. headbang.gif It would have required removing the R cam tower, timing chain, gears, re-indexing & yadi, yadi, yadi. Saved about 4 hr's labor. beerchug.gif

What size is that allen key? Hard to get a scale from the picture.

At least it bent, my brother needed stitches in his hand when a 5/16" Bondhus brand broken in half while tightening his handle bars on his mtn. bike.
Chris H.
confused24.gif Oh wait I see...it's bent a little at the end.
rwilner
The tool boxes / chests at HF are some of the best available anywhere, at any price.

There was a thread on garage journal that did a very data-driven comparison between the HF ones and those at sears, lowes, home depot, matco, snapon, etc.

HF came out nearly on top for quality (steel thickness, caster quality, drawer hardware, gussets and reinforcement, etc)...and they had the best price.

I think HF stuff runs the gamut from great value to junk...probably like every other tool supplier warehouse.
jd74914
agree.gif

I've read that thread and a buddy has one and I can confirm that it is awesome!
76-914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Jul 6 2016, 07:38 AM) *

The tool boxes / chests at HF are some of the best available anywhere, at any price.

There was a thread on garage journal that did a very data-driven comparison between the HF ones and those at sears, lowes, home depot, matco, snapon, etc.

HF came out nearly on top for quality (steel thickness, caster quality, drawer hardware, gussets and reinforcement, etc)...and they had the best price.

I think HF stuff runs the gamut from great value to junk...probably like every other tool supplier warehouse.

Agreed if your talking about the "roll around" models. The tool box's that are hand carried are thin metal that dent easily while the latches are light weight crap that cannot hold up even when left on the truck. mad.gif I just noticed that Eastwood's parts tumbler is the same as HF but about 15% more $$$. beerchug.gif
wndsnd
I heard that the Craftsman Brand of tools will now be sold at ACE Hardware stores.

It is a shame a company could kill a brand name like that, but it seems they have.

914Sixer
I posted over in the Sandbox how I took my Craftsman torque wrenches for adjustment to the San Antonio service only to be told they NO longer service ANYTHING. They only sell refurbished tools, equipment, etc and new parts. NO LIFETIME warranty on anything EXCEPT hand tools. Most everything they now sell comes with 30day to 1 year warranty.

Went to HF and picked up a 3/8" torque wrench for less than $15 with my 25% off coupon on the 4th of July.
mikesjunk
Growing up there wasn't one nearby but I ordered a lot of tools from them via the mail, yeah it was that long ago.

Now I live in a city with a local store. It's great. I always abuse the 20% off coupon and make sure I get my free item on each visit. I have probably a dozen of those led flashlights. Find the super sale and slap a 20% off on it. A few times I've bought things went to the car....went back and bough something else with the 20% off they put back in my bag.
ssuperflyoldguy
HF digital volt meter's are not worth the packaging they're in- don't use em unless you can check with a known meter - have tons of their other stuff to including a couple sets of boxes.
Mueller
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ Jul 6 2016, 08:16 PM) *

HF digital volt meter's are not worth the packaging they're in- don't use em unless you can check with a known meter - have tons of their other stuff to including a couple sets of boxes.

There is a picture at work of a blown up HF meter, some dimwit was using it in a high voltage vault.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 6 2016, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ Jul 6 2016, 08:16 PM) *

There is a picture at work of a blown up HF meter, some dimwit was using it in a high voltage vault.

Harbor Fright Arc-Fault fuse.....Didn't die?
jd74914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 6 2016, 11:17 PM) *

ohmy.gif unsure.gif

Wow, that's incredible. Guess they didn't pay attention during electrical safety training.

Unrelated, but I was in the building when someone shorted a 10 kV bus to earth ground...holy shit that's a loud bang. Amazingly, the guy didn't get hurt.
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 6 2016, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 6 2016, 06:18 AM) *

What size is that allen key? Hard to get a scale from the picture.

10mm
worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 5 2016, 07:48 PM) *

Given their cost, when the need arises none are above the Ultimate Sacrifice. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

When the sacrifice is a tool the alter is a vise or anvil and the torch cometh. Odd how hard it is to get yourself to do it, and how much time you can save by trashing a cheap tool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.