Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terrible front end creak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
My 914 has developed, suddenly, a loud and strong enough creak to be felt through the steering wheel.

Only happens on steering input and currently it's on the passenger side.

It's on a 75 car with no front sway bar.

jacked up the car and manually turned the wheel (left-right) with no noise and no restrictions. Lowered the suspension onto a block (to load the suspension) with no wheel and again operated it with no noise.

I haven't road tested it again, but the sound was awful and seemed like a dry metal on metal binding type creak.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rob-O
Wheel bearings?
cwpeden
Ball joint.
stugray
A-arm bushings?

Support the car on jackstands and use a floor jack to raise & lower the wheel.
Does it make the noise then?

Does it only do it after you have been driving the car for a while?
Mine made a horrible noise but only after they warmed up from driving hard.
-JR-
Thanks everyone!

Not wheel bearing for sure, doesn't make any noise going straight down the road and not from bouncing either.

Might take heat, not sure as I haven't driven it past the first time it started making the noise.

I'll hit the road again to see if I can re-produce it.

mgp4591
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jul 6 2016, 07:42 AM) *

Ball joint.

I agree. When you jacked it up, the position reset and you didn't get the noise. Once it's on the road again I'll bet it returns as it seats in again. You may not even feel any looseness in it but it probably dispensed of all its grease. You do need to unload the ball joint properly though to check it and the control arm bushings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.