Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel: Wood vs. Leather?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnpierre
ok my second post in as many nights. I am currently getting ready to sell my Jackie Steward Momo steering wheel. Why????

1. it is on the small side
2. i just don't like the way it looks
3. i don't like the way it feels, too fat. leather not grippy enough
4. it cuts out the view of my speedo

what i want to buy is a nardi wood wheel. Why???
1. i always liked the way a wood steering wheel looks.
2 i like the way they feel - I had one in my 76 alfa gtv - they do get a bit hot
3. i saw a silver 914 6 on this site with a nardi. said it was the wheel you could order the car with and i thought that was pretty cool.

anyway a member posted this in regards to my other post when i mentioned i wanted a wood wheel and i thought it warrented a larger discussion:

Looks great so far. Have you ever driven a sports car with a wooden wheel? I hadn't. I put on a Momo Indy wood wheel for a little while and ended up not liking the feel of it at all; also the wood didn't really match the rest of the interior's look.

I love wood wheels in certain cars (touring and luxury) but I think the 914 is not one of them. My hands would get a burn when the wheel spun back on a turn.

I have a proper padded Momo wheel now and couldn't be happier. Just wanted to add my $.02 since my whole realization costed me an extra $150.

...but like everyone will tell you....it's your car and you should do what you like. :-)

thank you 7TPorsh for the valuable input.

but now I would like everyone else's before i proceed with the switch.

-jp-

here is what im talking about below:

the wheel that is on its way out

the wheel i want

and maybe an alternative to the wood -these are just a few general ideas although all of these are 350 mm so like my momo now they are too small, i want something in the area of 15 inches or 390 mm which as luck would have it the nardi comes in...

what are your thoughts everyone????
ConeDodger
I think the wood wheel works in a 356 much better. However, I bought an RX7 new in the 1980's with a wood MOMO in it and the feel was fine.
Krieger
My 914 had one when I first got it. I hated it. Way to slick in a sports car that I autocrossed.
matthepcat
To each their own, but I think it's fits Italian or British sports cars mostly.
wes
A big wood wheel looks great in the 356, 914 I like the look and grip of leather!
But to each his own. Sorry not a good photo but this is mine.
Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
This is a Nardi wheel that I have for my old BMW 2002. I think the black spokes are sportier than the polished you normally see on a Nardi. It has a diameter of 390mm which works well in the 2002. But I find the 914's stock 380mm wheel is a little big, especially with a thick leather wrap. I suppose if you're on the shorter side (about 5'-8" or shorter) the 390mm wheel would probably be fine.

Click to view attachment
johnpierre
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 6 2016, 11:00 PM) *

This is a Nardi wheel that I have for my old BMW 2002. I think the black spokes are sportier than the polished you normally see on a Nardi. It has a diameter of 390mm which works fine in the 2002. But I find the 914's stock 380mm wheel is a little big, especially with a thick leather wrap. I suppose if you're on the shorter side (about 5'-8" or shorter) the 390mm wheel would probably be fine.

Click to view attachment

is your nick name sherlock??? i am 5' 9 1/2" ;-)
TheCabinetmaker
As a 5'6" tall guy I can tell you the half inch doesn't count. Your 5'9"!

I had a wood wheel in my datsun pickup in the seventies. Hated it. Also hated the original 914 wheel. I have a small wheel that blocks the speedo at 70. I just rotate the gauges to the left and all its good.
era vulgaris
I personally prefer a wood or bakelite wheel to leather. When it's hot out, leather gets sticky. And if the leather is old and a little worn, little bits of it will stick to your hands in the heat.

I just took a 3 hour each way trip down to BFR in 95+ degree weather, and my hands were covered in little black specs from my original 41 year old leather wrapped wheel.

I used to have an EMPI GT Flat Four wooden wheel in my old Karmann Ghia. I loved that steering wheel. It always felt comfortable and cool on long road trips, and no black specs all over your hands! biggrin.gif
But I have to kind of agree that a wood wheel in a 914 might look odd.
Frankvw
Yes, agree on above. On a 356, a ghia or beetle I really love the wooden flat-4 style wheels. They look weird on VW busses and 914's in my personal opinion. But if they feel great in a beetle or ghia, they also feel great in a 914, right ? :-D
Take the wheel you want !
6freak
some clubs wont let you track the car with a wood wheel..if you do that sorta thing with it?
smile.gif
theleschyouknow
wooden rim with hockey puck looks pretty cool
Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif -hey! who changed the cheers to a heart?
beer.gif
cjl
dlkawashima
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jul 6 2016, 11:05 PM) *

is your nick name sherlock??? i am 5' 9 1/2" ;-)

The concern I would have is how much leg room you will lose with a 390mm wheel. 40mm, or actually 20mm (390 - 350 / 2) doesn't sound like much on paper but it's a significant change. Of course a lot depends on how you like to seat yourself ... stretched out or closer to the wheel, and you might have to experiment with a different seat position to accommodate the larger wheel.

I have a 370mm Momo wheel and I can recline the seat without issue. But with my thick wrapped stock wheel (closer to 385mm), I have to put the seat flat on the floor and back one notch ... otherwise my knee hits the bottom of the wheel when braking.
Michael N
i have tried several wheels over the years and found that a 370mm is just right. When I ran a 350mm prototipo wheel it was just a bit to small to see the gauges clearly. The factory wheel is good with a double wrap but I prefer this Momo 370mm which I found on eBay. Momo circa 1991. I am not sure why Momo doesn't produce a 370mm wheel since there is a demand for them based on the high prices of the vintage ones listed on eBay.

To answer the original question....I think the black or leather wheels look better in the 914. Although there were still a big offering for wooden wheels in the 70's, our cars were decades ahead of their time in design.

Click to view attachment
914dave
Ran a Raid Turbo wood wheel for the first six years with the car. Sweaty hands in the summer that required gloves at times. Even slicker in the winter when things dry out. Replaced with a suede Momo Retro wheel. Looking forward to trying that out.
johnpierre
Well I guess I am totally in the minority here on the wood wheel. I still am leaning toward my original idea of the wood wheel primary because a touch of wood in an already all black or mostly black interior with soften up what is a very contrast-y look.

and as i mentioned I like the way they feel. I am a little surprised that most of the reply's are against the wood. anyway if i do choose the nardi, i will rock it out and see if it works for me and if not then I sure I can sell it used for most of the $$$$ i put into it and then off to a the next choice...

thanks for all the feedback.....
jacquot
I agree the wood will add a nice contrast in tone and texture.
mepstein
Install what you like. It's easily changed if you get bored.
ottox914
Not a question. Leather.
(imho)
7TPorsh
...just to add . The heat I was referring to is from the friction of my hand laying on the wheel after completing a turn and the wheel is returning to center. Not sure why the leather wheels don't do it but the wood wheel would give me friction burn to a small degree. Also in the sun it would heat up quickly.

I still liked the way it looked but not the way it felt. It too was 10mm larger and required extra input on turns. I do have a 914 replica wood shift knob. It's the only wood in the car.

I think any period, straight (not a molded grip wheel like Monte Carlo) leather wheel with black or silver spokes will be good. I replaced the wood Momo Indy with a MotoLita wheel that looks like stock and mounted to my momo adapter. I like 4 spoke other 3 spoke for hand placement.... Very satisfied now.

See below:

Click to view attachment
green914
I like the feel of the leather wheel. agree.gif
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jul 7 2016, 03:02 PM) *

Well I guess I am totally in the minority here on the wood wheel. I still am leaning toward my original idea of the wood wheel primary because a touch of wood in an already all black or mostly black interior with soften up what is a very contrast-y look.

and as i mentioned I like the way they feel. I am a little surprised that most of the reply's are against the wood. anyway if i do choose the nardi, i will rock it out and see if it works for me and if not then I sure I can sell it used for most of the $$$$ i put into it and then off to a the next choice...

guess WE'RE in the minority I like the look too
I got a cosmetically busted wheel a few months ago with an idea toward converting to wood rim and hockey puck at some point

beer.gif
cjl
wndsnd
I love the feel of my Prototipo and the looks, but it annoys me that it covers the directional indicators.
My feeling is that wood looks more period correct in 60's cars or earlier, but I also agree, do what you like.

You can always change it back.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jul 7 2016, 01:02 PM) *

Member finchmunoz' Nardi wheel ...
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.