Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost 4th and 5th now I know why
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Surprise it would still even shift I guess it's time to make more new parts
Mikey914
That was pretty easy. But I did get some ideas of how to make these a little more serviceable.
Here's how I seated the bushings.
76-914
We had the same thing happen the day after we returned from RT66 -2013. You can also use a 1/4" long stove bolt and washer as a puller for those bushings.
worn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 6 2016, 09:58 PM) *

Surprise it would still even shift I guess it's time to make more new parts

Me too! Seems a bit ironic that you would be caught by a plastic part. Good luck and hope you are in 5th soon.
sfrenck
I struggled with adjusting my gear shift for a couple days before I realized I had the same issue.
Mikey914
yes these are a paint to deal with. I'm driving today, but there is nothing you can do (other than to limp it back in 3rd) when these go out. I have a new super sexy solution to make these easy to service. Right now they only get serviced when they fail.
Andyrew
I always wondered why those parts were not available. Every joint I had seen was in horrible condition which is why I think the custom guys cut them out and went with a different style.

Thanks Mark!
Rob-O
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2016, 09:54 AM) *

yes these are a paint to deal with. I'm driving today, but there is nothing you can do (other than to limp it back in 3rd) when these go out. I have a new super sexy solution to make these easy to service. Right now they only get serviced when they fail.

I had vague shifting last week and then over the weekend lost 4th and 5th. Pulled the rear shift cover off and that bushing was intact (albeit loose). I pulled the bellows off the shift coupler and not only was the shift coupler bushing gone, but so was the firewall bushing! Surprised I could even get 3rd gear.

So....what is this super sexy solution you speak off?????
MartyYeoman
Once you get your bushings sorted, there is a longer cone point set screw that allows for safety wiring. I'm not sure if its a 911 or 912 part but it sure beats the nylon button type that's common to the 914s. Bullet proof!!
Rob-O
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jul 25 2016, 03:40 PM) *

Once you get your bushings sorted, there is a longer cone point set screw that allows for safety wiring. I'm not sure if its a 911 or 912 part but it sure beats the nylon button type that's common to the 914s. Bullet proof!!

Huh, mine were metal set screws (and looked pretty good). I don't think I e ever seen plastic ones.
cwpeden
The cone screw has a little nub of nylon in it that acts as a nylok

like this:nylok set screw
Rob-O
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jul 25 2016, 05:17 PM) *

The cone screw has a little nub of nylon in it that acts as a nylok

like this:nylok set screw

Wow, learn something new about these cars every day. I'll double check but I'm almost positive mine didn't have that.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2016, 01:54 PM) *

I beg to differ.
Stuff in a ton of sticks and wrap with tape or a shoe lace , done.
Or, hit up the plumbing department and get some bronze bushings, again tape or shoelace.
Sadly they have let go on more than one Porsche for me.
ThunderbirdDrive
i thin I am likely suffering from the same issue on my '76.
Lost 4th and 5th recently.

Tried adjusting the shift linkage in case the left to right calibration was off, but I noticed tons of free play between the rear linkage bar and my shift lever in the cockpit.

Is the coupling on the rear side of the firewall or inside the car under my center armrest?
Can I inspect the coupling without removing the entire linkage?

Is there a trick to removing the rubber boot at the rear of the firewall? I didn't notice any clamps and I was afraid to make a tear by pulling on it too hard.

Thanks!!

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ThunderbirdDrive @ Sep 8 2016, 03:22 PM) *

Is the coupling on the rear side of the firewall or inside the car under my center armrest?
Can I inspect the coupling without removing the entire linkage?

Thanks!!

The coupling is on the rear side of the firewall. It can be inspected by moving the rubber boot which is only held onto the firewall by friction.
jim_hoyland

So....what is this super sexy solution you speak off?????

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif This will be great ! When Will they be available ? smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
BigFour1973
Had this happen to me when I pulled the car from storage. I was driving around and went to down shift from 5 to 4 and when I went for 4 it hesitated a bit and i knew something was off. Slowly let the clutch out and rpms started to creep up. Almost down shifted from 5th to 2nd at 45-50 mph.
ThunderbirdDrive
Just pulled my linkage out tonight.
Bushings were blown completely apart.
The knowledge I learned from this thread made it a quick job.
Set it in my vice with some sockets and the pin came out easily.

Now to wait for the pelican parts bushing kit to arrive.

Click to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 25 2016, 07:17 PM) *

I beg to differ.
Stuff in a ton of sticks and wrap with tape or a shoe lace , done.
Or, hit up the plumbing department and get some bronze bushings, again tape or shoelace.
Sadly they have let go on more than one Porsche for me.

What was that smiley you threw at me a while back? screwy.gif poke.gif

laugh.gif beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.