Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conclusion of Stoddard HE quality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I've been waiting to hear that these /6 heat exchangers were fitting and working good. The last I recall, they had fit problems and were replacing orders.
mepstein
Our friends at DC auto sell them now. Stoddard no longer has the exclusive. They come with a jig attached to show that they all line up properly.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 8 2016, 09:53 AM) *

Our friends at DC auto sell them now. Stoddard no longer has the exclusive.

Looking at the catalog price it looks to me that DC is $600 more for a pair, you sure they are not just reselling from stoddards?

What are the tubes on these? The stock 1-3/8" size?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 8 2016, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 8 2016, 09:53 AM) *

Our friends at DC auto sell them now. Stoddard no longer has the exclusive.

Looking at the catalog price it looks to me that DC is $600 more for a pair, you sure they are not just reselling from stoddards?

What are the tubes on these? The stock 1-3/8" size?

No, they get them direct. I would call and talk to rob (owner) if you really plan on buying and talk price. Or call me if there's a couple people who want to buy. I'm sure something can be worked out. smile.gif
mb911
What is the current price on these? This is my next project I need to get done.
johnhora
Stoddard has them at $2995 for a set
DC has them for $3600 for a set

You think they would do a group buy?
mepstein
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 8 2016, 01:13 PM) *

I will talk to rob if there are some serious buyers.
raynekat
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 8 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Incorrect.

They are on Ebay now for $2300 a set.

If correct, that is a great price.
raynekat
Also I believe the factory HE's are 1.5"
gereed75
Spoke with the Stoddard 914 product manager at Hersey (very nice guy whose name escapes me). The first batch of headers were returned and anyone who complained was re-imbursed.

The current improved production run does come with a very heavy flat plate jig bolted to the flanges (as Mark said) to ensure flat flanges and hole location. These will still require some fitting since the cylinder/head exhaust stud assembly has variation and some movement.

The Hersey "show price" was $2695.00 or there abouts, which suggests there may be some dealing room off the list $3K.

I recall that they sold about 30 sets on the first run and the second run is 30 more IIRC.
mepstein
Yea, I see DC Auto has the eBay ad - $2300 with free ship. I was down there in person. They are the revised set with the factory jig to insure they are straight. Killer deal. I'll probably pick up a set next time I drive down. If he has any left. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
with free shipping and if you can afford them, why wait?
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 8 2016, 05:29 PM) *

with free shipping and if you can afford them, why wait?

Because it's 95 degrees here and I have both my kids fall college bills coming up soon. Priorities are a bitch. biggrin.gif
Steve
My stock six heat exchangers look like they are 1 1/4" ID.
Click to view attachment
Steve
Click to view attachment
raynekat
To be sure....I just looked this up.
Headers and heat exchanger tubing (all tubing for that matter) is measured by OD....not ID.

So all the numbers you see about headers like 1.5", 1-5/8" and 1-3/4" is the outside diameter of the tubing or primaries of the heat exchangers.

Things like mufflers and exhaust tips are measured with OD.

Short story....if you can measure the OD of the stock 914-6 heat exchangers, I think you'll find that the tubing inside of the exchangers is 1.5" OD.

Supposedly these will work reasonably well with engines as big as 3.2 although you'll certainly lose some power on the top end.
2.0, 2.2, 2.4 and 2.7 engines should run great with the stock HE's.
Larry.Hubby
The factory 914-6 heat exchangers are 1 3/8" OD. The reproductions are 1 1/2" OD. I have sets of both and have measured them several times. The reproductions (my set is from the second batch that was supplied with the jig attached at the engine flange ends) fit quite well at the engine, but I had to torque them quite a lot to get them to fit at the muffler end. Also, the reproductions lack the two clips used on the factory parts to anchor the handbrake and clutch cables. The factory 911 heat exchangers for the 3.0 and 3.2 engines were also 1 1/2" OD, by the way.
DM71SIX
I am restoring a 914-6 and we looked at these Dansk heat exchangers. The pipe is too big, they are too thick, they are missing the tab, and fit is a Question mark. If you have a concours car these are just wrong.
We repaired the dents in the original and will use them. I am working on finding a Fabricator who can roll out the sheet steel to the required configuration, shape, cut and weld the 2 halves together as I another set with good tubes.
gereed75
Dm71six. Have you seen the most recent iteration? They look pretty high quality to me. Not exact but pretty good. They are missing the two tabs. These would be an easy add if you are that concerned. I suspect that any fabricator who does a one off set will be much further from stock than the Stoddard offering

I suspect fit is as good as stock. It took me most of a day to get my OEM ones to fit up on a stock motor. Point is they will all need some fitment work.

No affiliation. Just hate to see a really good effort by a dedicated supplier get a bad rap for a very good product.
wndsnd
Curious why the fit is off with these and others. Is it a matter of just opening up the mounting holes to slip over studs more easily? Were the flanges on the first batch off, or not flat and level? Aren't these all built on jigs? Are the studs bent?

My European Racing Headers by GT-Racing were a one handed over my head, lying on my back fit. I mean they fit perfectly front and rear......

How could there be that much variance between heads, if they were off that much wouldn't they have a problem torqueing to the cam towers and bind the cams?
DM71SIX
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 9 2016, 04:50 AM) *

Dm71six. Have you seen the most recent iteration? They look pretty high quality to me. Not exact but pretty good. They are missing the two tabs. These would be an easy add if you are that concerned. I suspect that any fabricator who does a one off set will be much further from stock than the Stoddard offering

I suspect fit is as good as stock. It took me most of a day to get my OEM ones to fit up on a stock motor. Point is they will all need some fitment work.

No affiliation. Just hate to see a really good effort by a dedicated supplier get a bad rap for a very good product.

They do not fit. The tubes are the wrong size meaning they do not match the exhaust ports. You want to weld mounting tabs on this product for over 2K? It is not easy to do this. How do you expect any vendor to supply a good product if they do not have the feedback? There is no pretty good; either it is good or not.
My restoration mechanic/builder has noted the necessary changes and supplied them to the manufacturer based on my original and good exchanger set. A good fabricator will be able to do what is needed. i live in an area of great machinists and fabricators. Nothing is beyond reach here.
Without standards nothing is done well. We need to have people supply our community with quality parts that work as well as OE, especially for the prices charged.
porschetub
[quote name='Steve' date='Jul 9 2016, 01:24 PM' post='2369250']
Click to view attachment

the late and great Bruce Anderson,reported in Excellence many years ago that the stock headers would work up to 3.0L,after that there was a small power loss at higher rpm.
Remember him saying larger diameter headers worked but at the deference of low end power on the smaller displacement engines.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.