Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lemforder Tie Rod Ends
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&P Mech
I ordered replacement tie rod ends for my turbo tie rods. I noticed that the Lemforder ends are not drilled for a split pin? They did come with a serrated lock nut. Did I order the incorrect part or is this just how Lemforder does it?
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Appearently the way they come these days. Hot topic a month or so ago. Too bad they did away with the castelated nut and pin.
A&P Mech
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 8 2016, 10:31 AM) *

Appearently the way they come these days. Hot topic a month or so ago. Too bad they did away with the castelated nut and pin.

Thanks, I just found that thread. smile.gif
Lowsquire
mine came with those style nuts. I found it was very hard to lock the taper hard enough to allow the nut to wind on.. but an impact gun made short work of it. If you dont have an impact gun, a cordless drill with a screw torque limiter that 'clicks' can also work at its highest setting.
A&P Mech
Thanks for the heads up. I do have an electric impact. I will give it a shot tomorrow. Did you find a torque spec for the nuts?
anderssj
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jul 8 2016, 11:21 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up. I do have an electric impact. I will give it a shot tomorrow. Did you find a torque spec for the nuts?

I'm assuming your kit also came with the all-metal "Stover" prevailing torque lock nut (it has a conical top and chamfered corners). The threads at the top (conical or crimped end) of the nut are distorted to keep the nut from loosening.

The Haynes 914 manual says that the nuts on the top of the outer tie rod ends are torqued to 33 ft-lbs. The folks at Pelican (where I bought the Lemforder kit) said to torque the locking nuts to the same value.

FWIW, all of our old Volvos use the Stover-type nuts on the outer tie rod ends. No problems in any of five 240s in over 30+ years.
A&P Mech
Thank you for your help! I will torque them to 33ft/lbs. beerchug.gif
PASHN8
Revival, received my non turbo standard Lemforder tie rod ends, nut went on, got the point where the thread was level with the top of the nut, then the thread would just spin and the nut wouldn't tighten down.

Channel lock the tie rod from the bottom or floor jack to get the nut to continue to tighten down?
Geezer914
Place a floor jack under the tie rod to apply pressure forcing it into the spindle. This should allow you to tighten the nut.
rgalla9146

Use a block of wood or whatever to support one end of a bar to lever the rod end
in tightly. This will allow proper tightening.
PASHN8
Thanks guys, will try that today, thought I was going crazy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.