Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on why this car hasn't sold?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
locorico1013
Owner of this car has given me permission to post this. I'm looking for a '73-4 2.0 and he suggested I check his out. So I'm wondering why it has sat without a buyer since January. Price is an obvious issue but wondering if you all see something else here. Other possible answers:

- He's in Canada and there will be import tax and associated hassles
- The car is not a true 2.0 yet asking a pure 2.0 premium price for a non-original car
- Red cars don't sell as well as the other unique period colors
- It's had 3+ owners in just under 4 years
- small item, but it's odd that it did not have a factory console because based on all research, all '73's came with one.

Any other feedback you all can provide would be appreciated. Of course if you know anybody else selling a similar car, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Rick
gereed75
Really great looking car but IMHO, your second point nails it - the premium ask would be merited only if the car was originally a 2.0.

Sorry if that offends seller but you asked. Really nice car but I think the order of value would be Original 2.0 at the top, this car with original motor next, then this car.
Bruce Hinds
I'm sure there may be more to the story . . . there were no 1.8 engines in '73, so when he says it started as a 1.8, perhaps before the 2.0 swap. I think the 1.8 started with the '74 model year. I could be wrong . . .

Regardless, it's a beauty. Yes, a bit expensive, but beauty none the less. It may be worth the trip to go check it out. If you love it, make a deal.
siverson
It looks like a nice car, but based on other sales I think it is $16k (good price) - $18k (fair for all).

Plus I don't care for the red. I've had too many red 914s. If it was Olympic Blue I might be tempted to pay $21k which is probably above market rate.

-Steve
mepstein
There is NO obstacle that price won't cure.

It's really that simple.
matthepcat
So the original listing for this car was $11,500 in 2014 and two years later is $21,500. 5-lug conversion and wheels was added.

Does two year of appreciation plus 5 lug add $10,000 in value?
gereed75
Steve, I did'nt want to say it but I agree that this is fair at $16K IMHO. Recent work and the Fuchs help bump somewhat, but still.....

Just based on what I think I would expect (hope) to pay right now for a nice car.
mepstein
If you want the car, ignore the asking price and offer what it's worth to you. The worst case senerio is you hear - no.

BTW - this technique saves so much time and you would be surprised how often it gets you the car.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 8 2016, 05:46 PM) *

If you want the car, ignore the asking price and offer what it's worth to you. The worst case senerio is you hear - no.

BTW - this technique saves so much time and you would be surprised how often it gets you the car.

I agree. The answer is no unless you ask. I think the car looks great and is worth whatever you are willing to pay based on what you think. The price tag is a starting point of reference when buying a car. smoke.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(locorico1013 @ Jul 8 2016, 12:19 PM) *

Owner of this car has given me permission to post this. I'm looking for a '73-4 2.0 and he suggested I check his out. So I'm wondering why it has sat without a buyer since January. Price is an obvious issue but wondering if you all see something else here. Other possible answers:

- The car is not a true 2.0 yet asking a pure 2.0 premium price for a non-original car
- small item, but it's odd that it did not have a factory console because based on all research, all '73's came with one.

Any other feedback you all can provide would be appreciated. Of course if you know anybody else selling a similar car, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick,

To clarify - only the early 1st 1/2 or 2/3s MY `73 914-2.0's marketed as the "914S" & later - with the same model no. - as the "914-2.0" included the Appearance & Performance Groups of options - which included the center console with 3 guages.

Otherwise, all other `73 914-1.7's & a few of the later March 73> 914-2.0s lacked the console.

This one started life as a 73 914-1.7 - ergo, no console.

Yes - any & all of your points are valid for why it has sat since January, as well as buyers not really getting serious until warmer driving weather comes along - especial up in the frozen north.

Look, it's basically a 1.7 which has a nice resto mod with a 2L H4 (can't tell if it's still with the D-jet EFI or carbs, latter being less desirable), a 911 front suspension + rear 5-lug hub & Big Fuchs conversion (note that the 914/4 basically had the 911 suspension up front anyway, but with the 4-lug wheels & smaller brake set-up, 914-6s were 100% 911), & some other stuff which keeps getting updated with each new owner.

A 73 1.7 is the low point of HP - especially the 73 Calif. cars with only 69 HP - so it's the right one to muck around with (I predict a 6-conversion next).

But it's not going to get a "real 73 2.0 price .... ever, as it will always lag as a conversion/resto mod.

If you're set on a real factory 73-74 2.0, then keep looking & get a true & verifiable numbers matching one.

If you want a fun DD or weekend/events car - then this may be right for you, but at a lower price in the mid-teens as others have suggested.

It all depends upon what you're looking for to break into 914 life!? confused24.gif

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cairo94507
Yeah, the engine replacement, though nice, does not allow the car to rise in price to stock 2.0 pricing and that is where it is. That car should sell for about 5K less than ask IMHO. BTW, I really like the car and it would be a nice daily driver.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 8 2016, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(locorico1013 @ Jul 8 2016, 12:19 PM) *

Rick

Rick,

To clarify - only the early 1st 1/2 or 2/3s MY `73 914-2.0's marketed as the "914S" & later - with the same model no. - as the "914-2.0" included the Appearance & Performance Groups of options - which included the center console with 3 guages.

Otherwise, all other `73 914-1.7's & a few of the later March 73> 914-2.0s lacked the console.

This one started life as a 73 914-1.7 - ergo, no console.

Yes - any & all of your points are valid for why it has sat since January, as well as buyers not really getting serious until warmer driving weather comes along - especial up in the frozen north.

Look, it's basically a 1.7 which has a nice resto mod with a 2L H4 (can't tell if it's still with the D-jet EFI or carbs, latter being less desirable), a 911 front suspension + rear 5-lug hub & Big Fuchs conversion (note that the 914/4 basically had the 911 suspension up front anyway, but with the 4-lug wheels & smaller brake set-up, 914-6s were 100% 911), & some other stuff which keeps getting updated with each new owner.

A 73 1.7 is the low point of HP - especially the 73 Calif. cars with only 69 HP - so it's the right one to muck around with (I predict a 6-conversion next).

But it's not going to get a "real 73 2.0 price .... ever, as it will always lag as a conversion/resto mod.

If you're set on a real factory 73-74 2.0, then keep looking & get a true & verifiable numbers matching one.

If you want a fun DD or weekend/events car - then this may be right for you, but at a lower price in the mid-teens as others have suggested.

It all depends upon what you're looking for to break into 914 life!? confused24.gif

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

"note that the 914/4 basically had the 911 suspension up front anyway, but with the 4-lug wheels & smaller brake set-up. "

No, 914/4's have 914 suspension. Quite different than 911 suspension. Struts, torsion bars, underbody sway bars, calipers, hubs, rotors, bearings, a arms, Wheel studs - nothing really matches up, 2 different systems.
siverson
> Asking $ 21.5K USD FIRM

When the add says FIRM in bold I don't even bother with a lower offer. Just seems like a waste of my time.

-Steve

somd914
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 8 2016, 04:38 PM) *

Really great looking car but IMHO, your second point nails it - the premium ask would be merited only if the car was originally a 2.0.

Sorry if that offends seller but you asked. Really nice car but I think the order of value would be Original 2.0 at the top, this car with original motor next, then this car.

agree.gif Appears to be a nice car, but the price point reflects a premium original car, not modified which brings pennies on the dollar in respect to modifications.
mepstein
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 9 2016, 01:33 AM) *

When the add says FIRM in bold I don't even bother with a lower offer. Just seems like a waste of my time.

-Steve

I would still make an offer if I wanted the car. The Firm statement reduces offers, seller gets frustrated, accepts offer lower than he would have received without stating Firm.
Sometimes our shop owner sends me out to buy a car at a ridiculously low price. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I don't have any special technique. I'm sure not smooth or slick. I just offer cash and leave the ball in the sellers court. If the get it, great, if not, no problem. The deal of a lifetime happens once a month.
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 8 2016, 10:33 PM) *

-Steve

So true, the seller has already position their walk away price - thus why waste their time.

Sometimes, I get ridiculously low offers, I responded back with , I get better satisfaction by throwing it away or leaving it for the local trash folks ie: like an 911 exhaust.
If the seller really needed the monies...he would have not put firm.
Larmo63
"No, 914/4's have 914 suspension. Quite different than 911 suspension. Struts, torsion bars, underbody sway bars, calipers, hubs, rotors, bearings, a arms, Wheel studs - nothing really matches up, 2 different systems."

agree.gif
Mike Bellis
In the previous sale the hell hole looks rusty. There are no recent pics in the ad of the hell hole. Suspect? Too much money if you have to get in there to cut and weld...
fduval
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 20 2016, 09:09 PM) *

In the previous sale the hell hole looks rusty. There are no recent pics in the ad of the hell hole. Suspect? Too much money if you have to get in there to cut and weld...

To clarify here is a picture of the hell hole,,,,,,,,,, NO RUST in there !

Cheers !
worn
QUOTE(locorico1013 @ Jul 8 2016, 11:19 AM) *

Rick

Bold Price at perhaps the high end. Plus that word also in bold - FIRM
Ferg
QUOTE(fduval @ Jul 21 2016, 05:11 AM) *

Cheers !

At this price you must explain, here is the previous pic

Click to view attachment

Hard to tell from your after pic but to my eye it looks like it was painted over by black paint or ?

Was the before rust cut out?
fduval
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 21 2016, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(fduval @ Jul 21 2016, 05:11 AM) *

Cheers !

At this price you must explain, here is the previous pic

Click to view attachment

Hard to tell from your after pic but to my eye it looks like it was painted over by black paint or ?

Was the before rust cut out?

If this is a picture of before,,,,, its been fixed ( per previous owner`s note ) .
Now I have enough of all this bashing about my car, so I am taking it off the market . I am not trying to rip off anyone........ ! enough said !
Ferg
Don't think anyone is bashing or claiming you are ripping anyone off. I read many compliments on how its a nice car and how it would be a nice driver, I agree with that.

You gave permission for discussion on why your car has not sold.

Opinions and facts about your car were brought up in relation to your asking price.

I pointed out one of the most important aspects of any used 914 purchase and asked for clarification on how it was repaired.
fduval
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 21 2016, 11:08 AM) *

Don't think anyone is bashing or claiming you are ripping anyone off. I read many compliments on how its a nice car and how it would be a nice driver, I agree with that.

Opinions and facts about your car were brought up in relation to your asking price.

I pointed out one of the most important aspects of any used 914 purchase and asked for clarification on how it was repaired.

Yes and you used a picture that is from I dont know how many years ago !! this problem was fixed by previous owner and I think I mentionned there was No rust that I could find.

Ferg
QUOTE(fduval @ Jul 21 2016, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 21 2016, 11:08 AM) *

Yes and you used a picture that is from I dont know how many years ago !! this problem was fixed by previous owner and I think I mentionned there was No rust that I could find.

Again, no bashing I just asked how the repair was made? If you don't know how the repair was done, then fine, say that.

You posted a picture of the current area that appears to have black paint in the hell hole.

I just pointed out that any informed buyer would want details on the repair.

Again, I like the car, it appears to be a nice one. But you are at a disadvantage being across the border. PPI by a buyer in person from the USA is not likely. IMO if you want the car to sell, you need to be much more detailed.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.