Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I got myself a 911 reflektor which I was planning on mounting on the back end of my 914. Unfortunately its too long to fit between the tail lights
Did I get the wrong one or do they need cutting?

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Needs to be cut. They all do.
Dion
Custom cut fit by you :-). There were a few back in the 80's made to fit
the 914 (aftermarket) obviously. There a few out there. I sold mine
recently that was made for the 914 with the electric lock. Take your time and seal the ends with epoxy for the 911 ones so
condensation won't get in between the layers of plastic and reflective material.
Good luck.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 9 2016, 09:45 AM) *

Needs to be cut. They all do.

Thanks,

Have members advice for the best way to cut it and mount it, it was not cheap so I dont want to mess it up.........Maybe i will just mount it on the garage wall instead
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Dion @ Jul 9 2016, 09:50 AM) *

Custom cut fit by you :-). There were a few back in the 80's made to fit
the 914 (aftermarket) obviously. There a few out there. I sold mine
recently that was made for the 914 with the electric lock. Take your time and seal the ends with epoxy for the 911 ones so
condensation won't get in between the layers of plastic and reflective material.
Good luck.

Thanks
mepstein
Around here, a nice 911 reflector sells for $300.
I used to like the look on a 914.
Now, not so much.
I definitely don't like the holes it leaves in the metal.
Mikey914
If you look at Carys thread on my car you can see the rust damage it caused on mine. Wound up replacing the entire rear end.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 9 2016, 10:56 AM) *
Have members advice for the best way to cut it and mount it, it was not cheap so I dont want to mess it up....

If you cut off the mounting studs you might be able to just glue it on with double sided tape instead of drilling holes in your panel.

Not sure how that would work with the curvature of the reflector, might need some heat and pressure to get it straight first.
idea.gif
matthepcat
I have one I pulled off my car you can have. Some of the mounting tabs were broken and the PO did some DIY wood/glue repairs to it....but will give you a guide

I highly suggest mounting it without drilling huge holes in your body.
mepstein
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 9 2016, 04:01 PM) *

I have one I pulled off my car you can have. Some of the mounting tabs were broken and the PO did some DIY wood/glue repairs to it....but will give you a guide

I just shipped a small box to Sweden - $45. The reflector is probably more.
Chris914n6
When I get off work I'll take some pics. I bought a car with that reflector mounted. Big holes. Not something I would have done myself. The aftermarket 914 reflector is 6 small screw holes.
matthepcat
Wow, I guess I didn't realize he was in Sweden!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 9 2016, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 9 2016, 04:01 PM) *

I just shipped a small box to Sweden - $45. The reflector is probably more.

Larmo63
I'd be lying if I said I like these. I don't.

I wouldn't even put one on my garage wall.

stirthepot.gif
bandjoey
Get some LED light strips behind it and mount it on the shop wall piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 9 2016, 03:14 PM) *
Wow, I guess I didn't realize he was in Sweden!

DavidSweden should have been a hint ...
biggrin.gif
Rand
I always likened these things to Porsche stickers.

I mean, would you add it to your NARP if it didn't have the Porsche name painted on it?? Because reflectors are cool? Or, is it truthfully, a sticker to boast about ARP?

When I was a kid, the first thing I removed from my bicycles were the stupid reflectors. (Oh wait, maybe I'm missing a market opportunity! I could sell Porsche reflectors to fit 914 wheels! And maybe PMB will help me engineer a card holder to flappatappatap in the spokes of the fuchs!)

There are some other nice Porsche stickers too. You can get it on the rocker panels, across the top of the windshield, badge it on the hood....

Ok, joking and snarking over.
beerchug.gif
SixerJ
I have a genuine 914 version that came off my six (it's not going back on either)

I'm currently up north for the weekend, when I get home I will post pics of the holes in the rear panel and reflector. As others have said big holes, but no rust issues as a result

RickS
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 9 2016, 05:12 PM) *

I'd be lying if I said I like these. I don't.

I wouldn't even put one on my garage wall.

stirthepot.gif

Couldn't agree more, but since I am a cheap bastard, I just blacked it out.

But different strokes and all that.

Click to view attachment
Drums66
.......As stated they are all cut down!......How many times do you have to have the name on a car?....1 2 3 4 idea.gif confused24.gif
barefoot
Here's one on E-Bay apparently cut to 914 length:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Heckel...2rW&vxp=mtr
DavidSweden
Thanks guys for the advice & comments.

I have gone off the idea of mounting on the car
I will hang it on the garage wall, maybe put a LED behind it as suggested.
mepstein
Like I said, I get $300 for one in nice condition. In Sweden, you might get double that.
Chris914n6
Cramped but shows 4 of the 6 ~1/2" holes needed to flush mount the 911 reflector.

IPB Image
struckn
David...why not hold on to it and buy a 911 that's missing one?

I have one on my 914 that the previous owner installed. I like the look! Makes the car look wider. Also, my '68 AMX has one too! Came from the factory that way.

If you install your's you'll have to cut a whole out in the middle for the Trunk lock button, or wire up a solinoid to electrically unlatch the trunk latch. This would also involve adding a switch hidden some where to power the latch.

IPB Image

IPB Image

stirthepot.gif slap.gif
DavidSweden
QUOTE(struckn @ Jul 11 2016, 05:11 PM) *

David...why not hold on to it and buy a 911 that's missing one?

I have one on my 914 that the previous owner installed. I like the look! Makes the car look wider. Also, my '68 AMX has one too! Came from the factory that way.

If you install your's you'll have to cut a whole out in the middle for the Trunk lock button, or wire up a solinoid to electrically unlatch the trunk latch. This would also involve adding a switch hidden some where to power the latch.

IPB Image

stirthepot.gif slap.gif

It looks nice on your car, not sure if the reflector I have is as good, maybe i will reconsider mounting it. Just a bit worried when it comes to the solenoid, i dont want to end up with a failed solenoid and a permanently shut trunk.

Regarding buying a 911, the prices in Sweden have gone through the roof so that a no go. i am however negotiating for a 6 engine 2,2 from 72
struckn
I have a mechanical back up release I made using a Steel wire like a coat hanger wire. I bent it to hook over the top of the solenoid and then turned it to exit the trunk directly below the latch assembly by drilling a small hole in the trunk floor for the steel wire to pass thru. I ran it about six inches down from the trunk floor and I can reach it easily from under the car, pull it down and the latch easily releases.

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.