Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flipped gears... 5th to third....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
read the classic thread on it....but still have lots of questions.

is there a play by play, blow by blow manual to do this...
im aiming for the shorter 3rd and need to source another 5th to keep final drive ratio....

im told this is a weekend project....

thanks
Aaron
bondo
Heh, more than a weekend project for sure. smile.gif Anything that involves meesing with 2nd through 5 gear requires major disassembly and some special tools. I would suggest getting a spare trans and doing the mods to it, and just swap when done. If you get 2 or 3 spares, you can pretty much make one that's rebuilt. It'll also give you that extra 5th gear, and you can cut up a spare case to use as a shift fork alignment tool.

If you opt to do it with only one trans, I have nearly every part of a 901 for sale in good used condition (shameless plug).
Brando
I can see it now...

VROOOM
*shift*
VRROOOOOOM
*shift*
SNAPCRASHBANGSPLATTCRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH.

lol2.gif
phantom914
I could probably help you out a little Aaron. But as was suggested, if you want to minimize down time, you could get another tranny first. Since this is your daily driver, I wouldn't risk trying to do everything in one weekend.

Andrew
Bleyseng
Read Redbeard's tranny article and look at the Porsche manual on tranny repairs.

Just pull the gear stack out very carefully so as not to trash the front seal.
Need a 30mm deep socket
the gear set
new gaskets
a junk intermediate plate to use as a shiftfork jig or borrow a shift fork jig,

Carefully pull everything apart following redbeards words and put it back together. adjusting the forks is even easy.

One-two day job if you pull the whole tranny and reseal it.
I would have send you a 5th gear set but I just gave it to someone else.

Geoff
Aaron Cox
well. i have access to a tailshifter trans to get the gearset out of.... problem is, i have no clue on the condition of this tranny....mine shifts great, could probably use one new syncro (first) and leaks a tad....

hmmm...ill go look for redbeards article....

my plan would be...
New Seals,
new syncro for first..
and flip the gearset....

blah...dirk wright has me bad.... dry.gif
Aaron Cox
ok. i read redbeards article...

now im on the fence if i really want to tackle this.... unsure.gif
anyone who has BTDT that has any tips?
ArtechnikA
well - there are lots of shorter 3rd gears than a flipped ZD 5th...
you might even look at a 6's ZA 5th - that should be taller than a flipped ZD and therefore leave you with not quite so big a drop into 4th.

or just get something like an HB 3rd and be done with it; that'll leave the thrust on the shafts the same too...

i don't have any quick reference telling me what letters were used is what cars, but the big dismantlers that handle 911's should be able to get you a gearset from any production car...

just a thought.

i don't think i'd depend on getting the job done in a single weekend in my only daily driver car either, but when i was younger and more ambitious i might have...
TimT
anyone who has BTDT that has any tips?

Ive regeared my transmissions a few times.. You can do it in a coupla hours if you have your ducks in a row.

Dont be afraid of using impact tools taking the gear stacks apart..

Measure or check what color gaskets are sealing the intermediate plate. and replace in kind..

purists will probably cringe and talk about my methods.. Ive seen The Racers Group regear a tranny while its still in the car... no measuring, no special tools....

It can be done..

do you have the cojones to do it?
TimT
Oh and what gear are you looking for?

I have some 901/914 gears
Bleyseng
Its really not tough at all........you just need the basic tools I posted and go for it.

pretty simple really, maybe a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being rebuilding a 911 engine.

I replaced the 5th gear in a day last year. (8hrs)

To do it totally right pull the tranny and reseal it too.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.