Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kit car build question? (CV Joint angle?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Catastrophe
Hi guys I'm building.. or shall I say rebuilding a old Fiberfab Avenger. I have measured and re-measured every angle to duplicate the rear suspension of my 914 chassis from the firewall to the shock towers. My Question today is how far can I slide the transmission rearward before I do major damage to it and the cv joints. I planning on either having the rear suspension at stock height or lower using Bilstein adjustable shocks. I've read that could move up to 2" rearward but is it true?

confused24.gif
rick 918-S
Mine is back 1 1/2"
Mike Bellis
you cannot exceed 22° on the CV angle. That is with the suspension at full compression. Or switch to a 930 CV and get about 45° of angle. The CV does not care where the tranny is just maximum angle.
Andyrew
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 11 2016, 12:31 PM) *

Mine is back 1 1/2"

1 1/2" is the typical amount moved back on the chevy v8 kits as well.
Phoenix-MN
I recently had the same question for my project and determined that the stock CV's (12 degree) would not cut it. So, I'm opting for 944 CV's which are good for 22 degrees.

I'll have a 5 degree forward angle built in with a droop angle of up to 12 degrees

Click to view attachment
rightpedal
Hey Ron you should post up some pics! There is....or was a 944 last Saturday at crazy rays. I would have pulled the axles but I didn't have the spline socket in the junkyard bag. Maybe this weekend. I can swing by this week if you want to put another pair of eyes on it.

Steve
Catastrophe
Thanks for the info this will help when I weld my chassis together. Which means I will call you soon, Steve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.