Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle registration and emmissions testing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
Hi I am new to the state, can any locals give me the low down on getting my 914 registered ?

Tell me if I got this right

1. I get a vehicle safety inspection. Do they check for any abnormal lights on dash. After getting the vehicle back from transporter my idiot brake light is staying on. Should I pull the bulb out during inspection ?

2. It's 1971 do I need a emmissions test ? I don't know if it will pass. It's stock 1.7 FI

3. Go to tax assessor office to give the state more $$

4. Go to the dmv to register ?

Your 2 cents are appreciated

Thank you

Ted in Texas
Rob-O
1. Depends on where you go to have it inspected. I e found that most places just check the lights, turn signals, windshield wiper, horn and make sure it moves and stops under its own power. I would fix the light if possible, it's a fairly easy circuit.

2. I have never had them do an emissions test and am fairly certain it's not required on vintage cars.

3. If you're trying to have the title changed over to a Texas title, the tax assessor a office will be able to do everything. They can do the title change, provide plates and issue a registration sticker (goes on drivers side, lower windshield, in the interior).

Where in Texas are you? Lots of folks here in Dallas. I know there are some in Houston, Austin and San Antonio too.

913B
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jul 11 2016, 10:08 PM) *

1. Depends on where you go to have it inspected. I e found that most places just check the lights, turn signals, windshield wiper, horn and make sure it moves and stops under its own power. I would fix the light if possible, it's a fairly easy circuit.

2. I have never had them do an emissions test and am fairly certain it's not required on vintage cars.

3. If you're trying to have the title changed over to a Texas title, the tax assessor a office will be able to do everything. They can do the title change, provide plates and issue a registration sticker (goes on drivers side, lower windshield, in the interior).

Where in Texas are you? Lots of folks here in Dallas. I know there are some in Houston, Austin and San Antonio too.

Yeah I would try to fix the idiot brake light too but just been busy juggling work/unpacking and everything else. I wonder if its just a simple reset of the switch at the master cylinder. It was working all fine when they loaded it up from CA. So I don't think it is the switch at the handbrake or wiring. Did the drivers hit the brakes that hard to make it stay on confused24.gif confused24.gif

So do I need the actual title of the vehicle also ?? I read in the TX dmv website 1994 or older vehicles needs emission testing and thus made me wonder. Shoot even in emission stringent CA my 71 was exempt.

I live in the city of Frisco, 35 miles North of Dallas. I will be on the lookout for any gatherings and such. Man still getting used to this crazy weather sad.gif sad.gif

If you all have quick tips on fixing that dang light and save me some time in searching for it would be helpful biggrin.gif
Beebo Kanelle
1971? just a check of car's systems - lights, turns, etc. - but you can register the car as an 'Antique Auto" - It's a pain to do but the reward is worthwhile, no front license plate, no annual inspection, and the plates last, I believe, 4 years.
913B
Are their limitation when registering as antique auto. I don't plan to use it as daily driver or anything, just on those rare occasion when the weather is permitting.

Correction on the switch at the master cyl, I don't have a reset switch. Its a 2 wire deal.
green914
" I read in the TX dmv website 1994 or older vehicles needs emission testing and thus made me wonder. Shoot even in emission stringent CA my 71 was exempt."

Do you mean 1994 and newer? confused24.gif
913B
according to txdps site

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/consum...sionTesting.htm

1995 and older vehicles get the accelerated simulation mode test.

Maybe I need to look into registering it as antique auto to get out of the emission test
bandjoey
Safety. Lights horn license plate light handbrake. Full stop from 20 mph within so many feet. No emissions.
Don't go to a chain store. Denton probably has a few independent shops around. Ask them to let u drive the brake test. They watch from the passenger seat. Or listen as they try to grind through the gears.
No emissions on 74 or older.

I'm close to DFW airport in Bedford and there's a shop here that'll inspect you in 10 minutes. Done my car for several years. We're about 45 minutes south of you.

Bad news is the license tax office now uses their book value for sales tax no matter what you paid for the car.

I have a friend in Denton. I'll ask him about a good shop for the inspection.

Howdy y'all
bandjoey
Antique plates is a mixed bag. It's something like to an event or a mechanic and limited miles. It eliminates the annual inspection. I keep regular plates so I can go anywhere anytime. After all the inspection is $7 a year.
----- check these out. Both in Denton. Friends recommend. I've never used them.
He might call Dave's Foreign Car. 940-387-2886.
Tommy's Tech Service number is 940-293-2697.
913B
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 12 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Antique plates is a mixed bag. It's something like to an event or a mechanic and limited miles. It eliminates the annual inspection. I keep regular plates so I can go anywhere anytime. After all the inspection is $7 a year.
----- check these out. Both in Denton. Friends recommend. I've never used them.
He might call Dave's Foreign Car. 940-387-2886.
Tommy's Tech Service number is 940-293-2697.

Thanks for the referral, much appreciated
Grelber
+1 for the Antique plates. The tags are good for 5 years, no inspections, and I haven't had any problems in driving it anytime/anywhere I want.

I also have an old 1974 plate on it. Way cool.
theleschyouknow
agree.gif
should just be a simple safety inspection
welcome to Texas
did you tell everybody when you left 'you may go to hell and I will go to Texas'
it may feel like those two places are reversed in that sentence right now but it gets better, end of September thru early May is pretty awesome may get some wild ass cold in there but it's usually just a couple weeks and golf in January is always fun

beerchug.gif
cjl
Lowsquire
if you aren't driving it daily, definitely go for antique registration.
You can thank my wife who had the Texas state legislation legislation reworded to include 'routine maintenance' which means if at any time you get a ticket for using the car not for a parade, to or from repairs, or for a car club event, you can cite routine maintenace (checking the braking system at highway speeds for example) and the ticket will be quashed. Means you are basically free to use the car whenever ,for whatever. She works at the capital, and is actively campaigning for the increase in rights for antique plate holders.
stinkindiesel
I've got "year of manufacture" plates on mine. It was fun browsing flea markets to find a set of 1973 plates. Found some that still had the original wax paper between plates. They has never been mounted.

Just take your plates into the tax assessor...

Gary
Claus Graf
Welcome to TEXAS !!!
Grelber
I took the '74 plates I found on line to the DMV, and they checked to see if they were on a currently registered car. They weren't so they registered them to mine. Easy-peasy.

913B
So I got my vehicle inspected. Barely any inspection at all if you ask me. I got lucky.
Next up is registration. So what is difference between antique and classic plates in Texas.
If I understand it correctly antique is inspection every 5 year and classic is still every year ? Antique is very limited use of vehicle while classic can be driven daily ? What about the actual plates are there a difference ? My intentions are just for some occasional driving on Fridays to work when it's nice out. It is NOT my daily driver. I don't want the local PD after me noticing I drive it in Friday's and such.

If you can kindly give me your opinions it would be appreciated

Thank you

Ted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.