Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which way to turn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Stock 73, 1.7 with FI. Seems to be running a little lean. Which way do I turn the knob on the brain to make it run a little richer? I certainly do not want to over do this, just a slight adjustment, so how far should I turn it?

Thanks,
Joe
scotty914
the ecu knob only does idle, if you want it richer across the whole range put a 100 ohm resistor in line with the cht
anthony
How are you determining that it is running lean?
Bleyseng
I am wondering too???

agree.gif

This I wanna hear..
mike_the_man
Right is richer, left is leaner. But listen to all the other guys first. How do you know it's lean, and know that turning the knob on the ECU only adjusts idle mixture.

Aaron Cox
im sure he has a wide band O2 sensor right joe?

lol2.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 9 2005, 04:51 PM)
im sure he has a wide band O2 sensor right joe?

lol2.gif

/whap

No Aaron, I don't have an O2 sensor. chair.gif I'll tell you what you can stick in my tail pipe.... ah, nevermind.

Anyway, getting a little backfiring when cold. Cold start injector is not connected, so its not surprising. Just starting to a very infrequent hesitation at speed. Went to go pull the plugs today to look for signs there, but the kids got into the way.

FYI - I generally do not go off half-cocked and start playing with stuff. My general process is to gather as much info as I can. This way I am fully cocked before I screw it up. wink.gif
anthony
Just starting to a very infrequent hesitation at speed.

Around 3,000 rpms when crusing? Most likely culprit is the TPS if it hasn't been swapped out in a million years.

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (anthony @ Apr 9 2005, 08:31 PM)
Just starting to a very infrequent hesitation at speed.

Around 3,000 rpms when crusing? Most likely culprit is the TPS if it hasn't been swapped out in a million years.

What he said. Worn Tps cuts off the fuel for a split second. Brad Anders says that is the only thing that will cause "bucking" at cruising speeds. My limited experience agrees with him. Unplug it and see if it goes away. It won't idle very well, and it won't accelerate very well, but it will cruise perfectly.
KaptKaos
Doh!

Forgot one more symptom. After running for a while, if I come to a stop, the car will really bog down in first. Almost like it is going to stall. Once it gets about 1800-1900 RPM it goes just fine. Still the throttle switch?

Trekkor
Check fuel pressure.

Increase to enrichen.

KT
double-a
my car is doing this, 1.8 liter l-jet engine, does the same random "hesitation" or "bucking" at speed. it's been driving me nuts.

what's a tps???

~a
TheCabinetmaker
Tps= throttle positioning switch. I know nothing about the L jet, so don't know if you have one or not.
double-a
yup, got a tps. i pulled it and cleaned it, car still stutters a little.

~a
swood
Small Vacuum leak? That'll cause a lot of problems too.

Do you have all the L-Jet manuals? There are numerous ones available.
scotty914
on a l jet a stutter can be 2 things, one the dizzy is not adavncing right or its sticking. i would pull it clean it and make sure you set the timing right. the second thing is the flapper has a varible resistor in it. you should pull it and hook up an ohm meter to it and push it through its range to see if it has a worn spot.

while you are in there you should check the fuel pressure, on a l jet it changes with vacumn. it could be the fuel pressure not doing what it should.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Apr 9 2005, 05:03 PM)

Anyway, getting a little backfiring when cold. Cold start injector is not connected, so its not surprising.

You misunderstand the function and operation of the cold start valve. It has to be REALLY cold, and it ONLY operates when the starter is engaged. You're NOT gonna get backfiring because of the CSV. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.