Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New URO 914-6 rubber engine mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
I was looking around the web and found that EBS was now selling a repo 914-6 rubber engine mount. I figured for $195 that I'd buy it and compare it to my factory 6 part. First it's a URO part ( yeah I know ) but it looks close to the factory part.
There's a small difference in the rubber molding on the upper side but other then that it looks to be the same.

Here's a few pics of it.
raynekat
Leaning towards a more "factory" style 914-6 motor mount for my conversion, so am very interested in your thoughts on these.

Maybe this is one thing that URO will get right? Hopefully....
914Sixer
Is it just me or does it look like a 3rd grader made the mold for the URO? The material also does not look like it is the same density ?
Mikey914
I'd like to announce my next part, a 914/6 motor mount. I can sell these for $65 who want's one? biggrin.gif
altitude411
Get'em Mark... evilgrin.gif

I'm in for one.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2016, 08:58 PM) *

I'd like to announce my next part, a 914/6 motor mount. I can sell these for $65 who want's one? biggrin.gif

Mark,
Do you know the guys at EBS? Next time you fly in, especially if it's Friday, they have a Tiki bar and a party every Friday afternoon. I will introduce you to the guys there and maybe you can pick up a vendor. They are good people. Obviously, anyone who has a tiki bar and parties every Friday is good people but... evilgrin.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2016, 05:58 PM) *

If I go this route (914-6 factory style mount).....definitely.
gms
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2016, 07:58 PM) *

I need 6
gms
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 12 2016, 07:54 PM) *

Is it just me or does it look like a 3rd grader made the mold for the URO? The material also does not look like it is the same density ?

The factory piece does look crappy next to the URO mount
Chris914n6
The factory mount looks made in China. Does that mean the Uro mount is from India? poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 12 2016, 05:54 PM) *
Is it just me or does it look like a 3rd grader made the mold for the URO?

That's actually the factory mount ...
blink.gif

If it works and it's installed, who's going to know?
Just as long as it works....then one can only search and pay big bucks for a "factory " mount. Price point is excellent.
Mikey914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 12 2016, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Mark,
Do you know the guys at EBS? Next time you fly in, especially if it's Friday, they have a Tiki bar and a party every Friday afternoon. I will introduce you to the guys there and maybe you can pick up a vendor. They are good people. Obviously, anyone who has a tiki bar and parties every Friday is good people but... evilgrin.gif

May have to make a special trip for that.
Mark
Mikey914
Actually, I suspect the factory may have used silicone molds instead of hard tooling for these. It's also possible that tooling had degraded over time. The real key is the composition of the rubber. QC. I would actually trust the factory one even though it's not as pretty.

Yes, I'll be making these .......Just because I can. As a special thank you for our friends.
mb911
I would be in for one.
Luke M
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 12 2016, 09:49 PM) *

Is it just me or does it look like a 3rd grader made the mold for the URO?

That's actually the factory mount ...
blink.gif

The factory mount is the one with the bolts/nuts on it. It looks crappy because it was rusty when I removed it from my car. I cleaned and painted the metal portion of the mount in an attempt to preserve it. Mark, if you do end up making the 6 mounts could they be made in different dampening stiffness ? Kinda like the Wevo has the blue or black version of their mounts for street and track. Any idea on what you would use for the isolating portion ( Polyurethane, rubber, etc. ) ? I know the energy suspension bushing that I've installed in American muscle cars had an internal locking setup. Looking at my 6 mount it appears that the internal mount piece would act like a wedge between the inner/outer shell if the rubber where to fail. Anyone know for sure if this is the case? I'd be in for one mount for sure or two if you will make them in different stiffness.

Keep us posted.
gcrotvik
I bought 2 of the URO mounts. I don't have a OE mount to compare it to but the tooling seemed good from what I could tell. The rubber seems very dense as well.

I'm in for a couple of "Mikey" motor mounts when they are done.

Mark, we will also need the steel plates that cover the top and bottom of the mount as well. They are NLA and I can only assume a bitch to find these days. If you need one of the URO mounts to use as a reference, I can drop it by your shop this week.

Greg
raynekat
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jul 13 2016, 06:18 AM) *

Mark, we will also need the steel plates that cover the top and bottom of the mount as well. They are NLA and I can only assume a bitch to find these days. If you need one of the URO mounts to use as a reference, I can drop it by your shop this week.

Winner, winner...chicken dinner.

Definitely need the upper and lower steel plates if possible.

Can still get the section that welds onto the car as well as the mount that bolts to the engine.

It was the rubber isolation piece and upper/lower metal sections that sandwich the rubber in-between that have been missing all these years.
gms
the inner part of the factory mount is aluminum is the URO part also?
I think i still have one somewhere from a broken mount
Click to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(gms @ Jul 13 2016, 08:06 AM) *

the inner part of the factory mount is aluminum is the URO part also?
I think i still have one somewhere from a broken mount
Click to view attachment

Yes, the URO and factory 6 mounts inner piece is aluminum.

Good call on the upper and lower plates.

Maddog/Mark's 6 repo mount covers you there.
johnhora
Luke...do the mounting holes line up center to center for the URO....maybe it's just the perspective in the photo....but the URO looks a tad wider
Thanks
johnhora
Have you used the URO transmission mounts?
What are your thoughts on the build and quality.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 13 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Luke...do the mounting holes line up center to center for the URO....maybe it's just the perspective in the photo....but the URO looks a tad wider
Thanks

Hi John,

I not answering for Luke here but the first thing I did when I received the motor mount was test the mounting hole alignment with an OE bulkhead mount. The holes line up perfectly. From a visual perspective, they [the URO motor mounts] look to be very well made.

Greg
Luke M
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jul 13 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Thanks

Have you used the URO transmission mounts?
What are your thoughts on the build and quality.

The engine mount holes all line up to the factory part.
Over all it looks like a nice part and seams to be well made.
I would say that time and use of the mount will be the only way to actually tell if it will hold up. I can tell between the two now that I've stared at them both long enough to find some differences. Is it for the good or bad ? I'm not sure but it doesn't seam to be structural so it should be fine. Again time will tell. If I scrubbed the URO name off the mount it would be hard for someone else to tell which part was factory or repo. I would still like to see what Mikey will make and will buy one of his mounts as well.

I have not seen a URO trans mount so I can't say anything on that.
I believe there was a few guys here that bought some but weren't too happy with them. I do not recall what the issue was. Maybe someone with a set will chime in on that part. I do however have a set of Wevo trans mounts and they're a well built part.
gms
I found the aluminum center piece
just let me know if you need to borrow it Mark

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes please pm me if you need the address or I can email you a label.

Mark p
theleschyouknow
this place rocks.
mountainroads
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 12 2016, 04:24 PM) *

I was looking around the web and found that EBS was now selling a repo 914-6 rubber engine mount. I figured for $195 that I'd buy it and compare it to my factory 6 part. First it's a URO part ( yeah I know ) but it looks close to the factory part.
There's a small difference in the rubber molding on the upper side but other then that it looks to be the same.

OK. I need to display my ignorance, again. What's the issue with URO parts? I've been looking for one of these mounts for a while now, as my resto is nearing completion. The engine has been upgraded, so I thought it would be a good time to replace what is the original mount. I'd also be happy to buy one from 914rubber if/when available.

"Walther" is in pretty good company while waiting for final touches:Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 13 2016, 06:38 PM) *
OK. I need to display my ignorance, again. What's the issue with URO parts?

Search and you shall receive!
biggrin.gif
altitude411
What's the issue with URO parts?

pray.gif The wise one has spoken... biggrin.gif

* if pictures help stromberg.gif
raynekat
Does anyone here have pics of what the upper and lower mounting plates on either side of the rubber mount?
Interesting to see what they look like and if anyone on this site can make them?

like mb911 who does the 914-6 tanks/filler necks.
mountainroads
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2016, 06:53 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I did and I learned they are made in China with several distributors. I realize that's not necessarily a good thing. I guess my question is this $195 repop a good investment choice compared to using a 46 yo original rubber item?. Especially since the 2.7 will likely put additional stress on the mounting point? Thanks in advance.

- MR
SirAndy
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 13 2016, 08:54 PM) *
I guess my question is this $195 repop a good investment choice compared to using a 46 yo original rubber item?.

Nobody knows yet, hence this thread ...
shades.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 13 2016, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2016, 06:53 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I did and I learned they are made in China with several distributors. I realize that's not necessarily a good thing. I guess my question is this $195 repop a good investment choice compared to using a 46 yo original rubber item?. Especially since the 2.7 will likely put additional stress on the mounting point? Thanks in advance.

- MR

Yeah, My business model is all wrong. I should charge more and make my parts offshore.

URO has been stalking me, in fact there was a thread on this exact part in a Hey mikey, can you make these thread. I didn't focus much on it as it didn't look like much traction. I'm making them now to hang them with a few thousand Chinese paperweights.
My problem was that I have a conscience. I know the tool for these can be made for about $1500, and the unit cost to produce 100 of these is about $30-40 each. So I'd be into these for about $50 a unit, but I couldn't see charging what they do.
Make them in China, and they can't cost more than $15 a unit. Add in shipping, but I'm sure they have containers coming over.

At a certain point most business will give up, people buy the cheapest part, and put the little guys out of business. Another trick they have started doing is adding OE to all of their part numbers, clearly an attempt to confuse the uneducated public, that OE cam mean anything , most just assume Original Equipment. Yeah, kind of sneaky right?
porschetub
Marks last reply makes a lot of sense,as to how long they last only time will tell,IMO not as long as a original one,rubber mounts and control arm bushes out of china all appear very soft or turn that way rather quickly,have had first hand experience with this with VW engine mounts and BMW /Audi replacement control arms.
However some brands have proven better than others.
Mikey914
They are big enough they will be around fro quite some time. They have spread like a cancer through the auto parts industry. Many of you buy parts without any idea of where they come from. This is a perfect example..... showed up and said URO on it.

The margins on these parts are HUGE. Look at all the new "parts houses" popping up Rock Auto, and many more. It's about search engine optimization and drop shipping.

Pelican parts was the 1st company to really get it right. The difference is Wayne, knows and loves these cars. I do have to hand it to them, they are very good at procuring parts and drop shipping. the problem is that URO has worked it's way into many of the suppliers. You can order an OE part and guess what you get.

There is no doubt they will be around for sometime, their margins will support it. If a part fails, they can send another and still make a profit on your sale.
Not saying the part isn't pretty, but I wonder how it did in testing in the "LAB"? av-943.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah, if Mark is making it, why go anywhere else? I know he is going to be there and will stand behind his products. smilie_pokal.gif Additionally, I want to support our community. I know I am going to have a large rubber order and I imagine I will need this engine mount for my car too. Chinese stuff? - no way.
Luke M
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 14 2016, 12:28 AM) *

They are big enough they will be around fro quite some time. They have spread like a cancer through the auto parts industry. Many of you buy parts without any idea of where they come from. This is a perfect example..... showed up and said URO on it.

The margins on these parts are HUGE. Look at all the new "parts houses" popping up Rock Auto, and many more. It's about search engine optimization and drop shipping.

Pelican parts was the 1st company to really get it right. The difference is Wayne, knows and loves these cars. I do have to hand it to them, they are very good at procuring parts and drop shipping. the problem is that URO has worked it's way into many of the suppliers. You can order an OE part and guess what you get.

There is no doubt they will be around for sometime, their margins will support it. If a part fails, they can send another and still make a profit on your sale.
Not saying the part isn't pretty, but I wonder how it did in testing in the "LAB"? av-943.gif

I have to say this about the URO products, I'm not a fan of them. I Usually stay away from buying them. I bought this 6 mount to see how it would compare to the NLA factory part. I have and will always buy parts from Mark ( as long as he will continue to make them ). I always try to support other members that make other products as well. There's nothing better then helping out the members here. Once Mark starts to produce these 6 mounts I will buy one or two of them.

Someone also asked for some pics of the upper/lower mount plates so here's a few pics of those.

mountainroads
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2016, 07:42 AM) *

I always try to support other members that make other products as well. There's nothing better then helping out the members here. Once Mark starts to produce these 6 mounts I will buy one or two of them.

+1. Hence my original question. I too am very reluctant to buy "Made in China", simply because the stuff is usually poor quality. Harbor Freight tools are a great example. Fine for one-time use, but the very last thing I want to put in my car. I'm always amazed when I hear someone considering not-Made-in-Germany engine bearings for their 911 rebuild, simply because they're "cheaper". Really???

I guess I'll wait for Mikey to make these NLA parts available again and gladly buy from him. Just seemed like a good time to replace my original mount since the engine's already out, etc.

Thanks for the feedback and follow-up information, guys.

- MR
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2016, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 14 2016, 12:28 AM) *

I have to say this about the URO products, I'm not a fan of them. I Usually stay away from buying them. I bought this 6 mount to see how it would compare to the NLA factory part. I have and will always buy parts from Mark ( as long as he will continue to make them ). I always try to support other members that make other products as well. There's nothing better then helping out the members here. Once Mark starts to produce these 6 mounts I will buy one or two of them.

Someone also asked for some pics of the upper/lower mount plates so here's a few pics of those.

These [the top and bottom plates] look like something Restoration Design could reproduce pretty easily. McMark??
porschetub
I see Stoddards have the mount listed ,can only presume its the URO one,not stated on the listing however.
raynekat

Thanks, those are a great help.

Now we just need someone to reproduce these as well?

Restoration Design or someone else?

smile.gif
mb911
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 16 2016, 07:18 PM) *

Thanks, those are a great help.

Now we just need someone to reproduce these as well?

Restoration Design or someone else?

smile.gif

I will be making fairly close copys as soon as 914rubber is done with the rubber portion.
raynekat
There should be a market for these (rubber mount and sandwich plates) in Europe considering some of the prices I've seen. Very, very pricey.
Freisinget Motorsports ~$450 for the pair of sandwich plates.
Mittelmotor ~$250 for the pair of sandwich plates.

Rubber mounts no better....
Here's a listing for the rubber mount on Ebay Germany.
Quite expensive, but it's a factory part I think.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-914-6-Gummi...iEAAOSwux5YNxWo
mb911
Just a bump to see if 914rubber has made any progress?
Mikey914
We have been focusing our work on the master cylinders. We will do these but the return for investment is off a bit. The tooling is a little more expensive. I don't mind making the parts and not making money on them for a very long time, it just is a matter of where my war chest is at. We opted to go after the part with a known failure and to make improvements to it also.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 17 2017, 09:01 AM) *

We have been focusing our work on the master cylinders. We will do these but the return for investment is off a bit. The tooling is a little more expensive. I don't mind making the parts and not making money on them for a very long time, it just is a matter of where my war chest is at. We opted to go after the part with a known failure and to make improvements to it also.

Just checking in again on this.. Any updates
Mikey914
Roof and roll bars and I con move onto these.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 26 2017, 10:14 AM) *

Roof and roll bars and I con move onto these.

Awesome.. I plan on buying them all..
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 26 2017, 11:31 AM) *

Awesome.. I plan on buying them all..
Hey, not so greedy. Leave some for the rest of us. dry.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.