Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front wheel bearing clamping nut?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

I'm in the process of replacing my front end right now. New bushings, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, struts, and bearings. I got some used struts from a club member along with new Bilstein shocks. I'm in the middle of replacing the wheel bearings and swapping the rotors to the new struts. The problem is that the wheel bearing clamp nut from my old struts don't seem to fit on the new struts. Are there differences in year? Differences in the type of strut? My old struts were original Bilstein struts, with a different type of shock setup. The new struts are Boge with Bilstein drop in cartridges.

Any ideas? Anybody have a couple of clamp nuts for Boge struts laying around? Any help is appreciated!

TimT
Yes there is a difference

Older Vs Newer

Later struts have slightly larger dia and coarse thread clamp nuts. early struts are slightly smaller fine thread..

at least on 911's...

are you working with 911 struts?

mike_the_man
I think the original Bilstein struts are a 911 type strut, but they were original equipment on my 914. The new struts that I have are Boge 914 struts. I'm not exactly sure what year they're off of, though. I'm not converting to 5 lug, just changing stuts, because my old struts required a different type of shock.

TimT
well just FYI there is a difference in the clamp nuts..

compare the threads on bothe your struts, I have a pair of the smaller dia, fine thread nuts.

If you like I could do a USPS second day package, if they work send me what you think there worth.

mike_the_man
Some exciting news on the wheel bearing clamp nut front! It turns out that one of the clamp nuts is reverse threaded, which makes some sort of crazy sense! wacko.gif Of course, trying to put a reverse thread nut on a standard thread doesn't work very well. Switch them around, and success! So, everything is sorted out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.