Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long overdue identification door tag on unrestored Mayan Green 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
22truckie
Sorry for the delay. Here is the door tag for the car. I have a before and after picture of the door jamb, close up of the tag and underside of the door. This car is in increadable condition for the mileage, 145,000
22truckie
Door tag
22truckie
Underside of door. For people who want to ACTUALLY restore the way it was made from the factory and not over restored, here are a few imperfect details to pay attention to: paint runs and an overdone brush stroke of the weatherstripping adhesive. I am an originality nut and completed the only authenticity manual for Studibaker Avanti's. It was full color and almost 400 pages that documented these details. It took almost 4 years to do. This car will be a very good example of how they were made with no restorations of finishes. Patinas left in place
Tom_T
QUOTE(22truckie @ Jul 13 2016, 10:06 AM) *

Door tag
IPB Image

According to the color chart at the 914 Info on here:
Berber Yellow (Berbergelb) L11D

But they often called the same color different names.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(22truckie @ Jul 13 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Underside of door. For people who want to ACTUALLY restore the way it was made from the factory and not over restored, here are a few imperfect details to pay attention to: paint runs and an overdone brush stroke of the weatherstripping adhesive. I am an originality nut and completed the only authenticity manual for Studibaker Avanti's. It was full color and almost 400 pages that documented these details. It took almost 4 years to do. This car will be a very good example of how they were made with no restorations of finishes. Patinas left in place

IPB Image

You probably want to pull off those door seals to make sure there isn't rust behind them, since they're notorious for holding water in the foam & causing rust. I see something dark along there which may be rust or discoloration from same further in. If rusty in the gasket channel(s), then any rust repair there won't affect your 914 being qualified for "Preservation" CdE classes/division, but you'll want to stop the tin worm in it's tracks.

As for the "patina" of excess adhesive - if you plan to show in PCA Concours, then you would get "dinged" for not cleaning up the excess adhesive "factory mistake" on the car. I just had to explain that very "ding" or point deduction to a competitor this past Sunday at the LA Concours when I was judging Unrestored Division - interior, on the same sort of thing on the inner door seal on his car. Under PCA Zone 8 rules & judges' guidelines & training - patina is expected aging of parts/components, vs. a prep/cleaning/detailing issue with excess adhesive, grease, etc.

So if you plan to show in PCA, plan to detail it better than factory. It would also be helpful for you to take any Concours prep &/or judging classes in your PCA Zone or Region too, so you know what to worry about & what not to worry - ditto for any other AACA, etc. types of CdEs.

Likewise for PCA, a factory paint run on a secondary or tertiary surface like the door innards/jambs won't generally get deductions - but the same run on the exterior body probably would, because it's a fairly easily correctable defect or flaw which can be color sanded away - especially on single stage paint like yours.

If the door jamb pix above are your 914's before & after - then you're doing a great job of cleaning up, so don't hesitate to also do the detailing of the factory "oops" items too (unless where you'll show it wants that sort of stuff).

I also see that you're now got as an 144k mile car, so you must've gotten that & more good info. from the OO!

I've always loved the Avanti's since our neighbor had a new one when I was a kid in San Diego in the `60's. Since you wrote the manual on them, I'm sure you understand the differences between different organizations' CdE's - like Porsche/PCA, Vette Club, Stude Club, AACA, etc. Everybody has their own set of stuff they look for & score on.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
22truckie
Tom, thanks for all the suggestions. Yes that was the same door jamb. I used to super detail unrestored cars for concours as a side job. Now I just do my own. I have some comments on the thoughts you gave about cleaning up factory imperfections.

I have been in numerous concours as a participant and as a judge for unrestored factory correct cars. I collect nothing but untouched factory original automobiles. I have pushed hard for unrestored automobile categories in different organizations and concours. So with that being said here are my thoughts: Preservation classes are just that, preservation of exactly how the car was made, especially factory imperfections. You are preserving HOW the car was made. Most all were production automobiles and they had flaws, body panel gaps were not perfect, factory striping did not always line up and there was an occasional drip or out of place brush mark. What are you preserving? What was actually made or what you wish was made. I do not mean to be rude or come across arrogant. I am very passionate about this. If this is how the Porsche organization judges preservation, I will be fighting for a change. Check out how Peable Beach does their preservation judging, same with Amelia Island ( one of my cars will be there next year and it is literally 100% untouched with 90,000 miles on it. Hopefully I will not alienate myself as the new guy coming in to make waves. I more look at trying to refine the class as to truly understand these untouched treasures for what they are, geniuine examples of what was made, imperfections and all. Again, thank you so much for all your input. I will be leaving the car as it was made at the factory to serve as a model on how they were made and how well this car stood the test of time. I may start a separate post on this. Again I hope I have not offended anyone with this
Cheers!!
Greg
JeffBowlsby
Well said and you will find kindred spirits here. What came from Osnabrueck is my preference too.

Be aware that many others will prefer to 'make it what they want it to be' or 'what the factory should have made'. There is validity to both perspectives and if you can respect the differing viewpoints here you will be blown away at the creative and skillful talent by many in our 914 community.

McMark
smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
I was told by a pro judge that over restoring cars is a classic beginner mistake. It's easy to make it look perfect, it's hard to make them look right.
krazykonrad
Is the top after picture just from cleaning up or did it get a re-spray? Either way, it looks great.

Konrad
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 17 2016, 10:27 AM) *

I was told by a pro judge that over restoring cars is a classic beginner mistake. It's easy to make it look perfect, it's hard to make them look right.

agree.gif I've done a couple cars I refer to as " day 1's " and it is a LOT harder to reproduce the correct shadows, oversprays, final finish textures ( orange peel ) proper plating etc. I have DAYS tied up right now just in stripping, cleaning, polishing latches, bolts etc for the zinc platers to make sure they look original and not like sandblasted and replated pieces. I have redone a 73-S frunk 2x now because I wasn't happy with it the first time. Repainted the dash 2x because the gloss was off the first time.

I'll be sure to tell those customers not to take their cars to a zone 8 event rolleyes.gif

22truckie
[quote name='krazykonrad' date='Jul 29 2016, 07:21 PM' post='2378188']
Is the top after picture just from cleaning up or did it get a re-spray? Either way, it looks great.

Konrad
[/quote

The door jams were not re sprayed, just cleaned. They are a testimate on how great of condition the car is.
22truckie
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 15 2016, 10:49 PM) *

Well said and you will find kindred spirits here. What came from Osnabrueck is my preference too.

Be aware that many others will prefer to 'make it what they want it to be' or 'what the factory should have made'. There is validity to both perspectives and if you can respect the differing viewpoints here you will be blown away at the creative and skillful talent by many in our 914 community.

Well put as well. I very much appreciate those who make their car a perfect restoration. I just ask that they do not destroy a quality original car to do it. Istead take a car that is in tougher shape to save it and saving the original unrestored car as well. We need these in order to tell others how they should restore their cars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.