Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0 fuel pump replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grubman
I purchased a '73 2.0 from Dodge City, KS. One yr ago. It's had fuel delivery problems ever since . The car has a tendency to stall at low rpm's. I had the proper vacuum lines installed as well as an anti-flashback valve but not the de-cel valve.
I replaced the fuel filter thinking that was causing the fuel pump to overheat and quit. Now I'm looking for a fuel pump replacement. One aftermarket unit only has two ports vs. three as the orig Bosch. Is it O. K. To splice the two lines going into the engine bay together? Do I need to move the pump as the later models to prevent a vapor lock?
Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm new to this forum. I've owned Porsches for sometime but only the 14 recently.
76-914
I'd put a gage on it before replacing it. And given where you live I would relo the pump to the front. That being said, now you can hear from the crowd that says vapor lock isn't a problem on 914's. shades.gif BTW, welcome.png
BeatNavy
This is stock D-Jet, FI, right? I don't think the symptom you're describing is necessarily caused by a bad fuel pump. It could be, but there could be other things going on like running too rich. Is the car wanting to stall at idle?

Give us some more details on how the car is driving. That may help. If you want to read up on troubleshooting D-Jet, this is very helpful: Anders D-Jet Troubleshooting.

You can run a 2 port fuel pump. The plumbing is slightly different, but I'll let someone else explain that, as I haven't done it. If you do replace the fuel pump, you can move it upfront or to the firewall (I think that's a little easier) to prevent vapor lock.

welcome.png

mepstein
Buy the 2 port pump, move it to the front, make sure to get all the correct hose and clamps. Stainless steel fuel lines in the tunnel if that upgrade hasn't been done yet. There are lots of threads on this site on converting to the 2 port pump.

welcome.png
cary
Ditto on what they said.
welcome.png

In my 12 years of owning 914's the fuel pump has been usually yes or no. The only occasion when it went wimpy was when we found condensation rust in the fuel tank on one of the cars.

If you just got the car I'd start with a valve adjustment to make sure your starting with a level playing field.

Are going to be DIY or do you have a shop you work with ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.