Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ugmo is HOT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dinomium
Ok, so I put the 2 liter exchangers on with the Banana that was on it before. I got it to idle and was lobing along nicely filling the garage with exhaust fumes, when Shane mentioned that he could feel the heat coming off the sides of the car. In fact it got SO HOT that it blistered the paint on the rear valance. WTF?
The engine temp gauge barely got into the scale (non numbered type) but after about 5 min of idle with a few revs thrown in, the car was HOT scalding hot on the fenders...

confused24.gif
Joe Bob
OK..ya got a hand held pyrometer, temp thingy?
dinomium
nope on the pyro, but is was hot enuff to blister the paint on the lower valance
dinomium
I took the muffler of, and it seems that compressed air is traveling thru it... Oh well looks like I will be calling Dave in Olympia...

Did I mention that I hate 914s
rhodyguy
was the muffler on the car before or the h.e. before? the muffler is for 2.0 h.e., correct?

k
Aaron Cox
can you say triad? biggrin.gif

im baffled by why it would be soo hot tho.... dry.gif
red914
the real bummer was that, while it was good to fry burgers and dogs in the trunk of ugmo, when we flipped 'em they had the paint stuck to them. blink.gif still, it worked out ok cause we were out of grey poupon. chowtime.gif

another fun filled day at dino's garage; c'mon down for a spell, y'all! no better way to spend a saturday afternoon! thanks, dino! pray.gif
balljoint
Can you compare the exhaust flow to another 914? Sounds like something is slowing the gases down.
dinomium
Kevin and Dave, thanks.
At this point I am just done with trying to make used parts work. I am going to buy a Triad pipe and be done with it!
rhodyguy
i've got an extra set of new 2.0 he to exh gaskets. stop by and pick them up on the way down to Triad. McClendons is about 1 mile away from my house. new fasteners. wub.gif

k
dinomium
Thanks, Kev you RAWK!
I have a set of SS 2 liter exchngers on there now. I this when I get the rad triad pipe, I will drop the pipes and level them up and renew the copper do dads. New hardware is always nice!
fatlando
hey dino! if you need an extra set of eyes or hands, let me know. I would love to get more k-nawledge about our little cars.

plus i'd love to see the "legendary" Dino's Garage!

fat lando
rhodyguy
while you're here remind me to dig out the nice, new, correct, he stud nuts. i have more than enough to do the car. get new 2.0 copper he to head gaskets and you're good to go.

k
red914
oooo... when you got to Triad, via Kevin's house, can i come along for the ride? what a fun trip! i would of course be tempted whilst at Triad West... "really honey, i needed this muffler for safety!"
scotty914
when you put the exhaust back on take the copper gaskets and heat then up with a torch till they are red then drop them in water to soften them. they will seal easier, esp if you file the maiting surfaces on the pipes level with each other
dinomium
Thanks for the tip!
You truely are a SCOTT among scotts!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.