Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery MPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
riccorman
Hello, I pulled the manifold pressure sensor from my 1975 2.0L to test it and to ensure that I had the correct unit installed for my car. I was surprised to find that the part number had been removed (!?!?) from the unit. I also found some stamped numbers in the casing as well as what appears to be some hand-scribed characters (see pics).

I emailed MPS guru Jeff Bowlsby these pics and he didn't have any idea about the markings on this unit.

I have heard that AutoAtlanta used to sell a MPS "upgrade" part that was supposed to increase performance; Perhaps they made some adjustments and renumbered, repainted, and resold them... I wondered if this might be one of those units...

Does anyone else have any information that might help identify this part? Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Looks like it has been tampered with. Was this a maintenance discovery or is your car running poorly?
SLITS
It's been really tampered with Kevin.

Screws are used to replace rivets to hold halves together.

No epoxy on adjustment screws.

Not uncommon for a rebuilder to remove the Bosch / VW numbers.

Does it hold vacuum?

so on and so forth.
riccorman
Yes, it holds vacuum and it does not have any internal shorts. The car was having some rough running issues, but replacement of this MPS with a new one with the correct part number (courtesy Jeff Bowlsby, who does excellent work btw) has it running like new. I'm just trying to ascertain what kind of history this part might have.

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 15 2016, 09:23 AM) *

It's been really tampered with Kevin.

Screws are used to replace rivets to hold halves together.

No epoxy on adjustment screws.

Not uncommon for a rebuilder to remove the Bosch / VW numbers.

Does it hold vacuum?

so on and so forth.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(riccorman @ Jul 15 2016, 01:20 AM) *

I have heard that AutoAtlanta used to sell a MPS "upgrade" part that was supposed to increase performance; Perhaps they made some adjustments and renumbered, repainted, and resold them... I wondered if this might be one of those units...

Those were new Bosch MPS units with serial numbers.

I think FIC grinds the serial numbers off their rebuilt units.
Although they stick their own label on the unit.
If its one of theirs it won't work well.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Ric, glad to see you here.

This could easily be opened up to see what's inside...it apparently didn't work well previously and there is nothing to lose. I suspect it could be rebuilt and recalibrated to function correctly.

I seem to recall that the AA hot rod set-up was the use of a standard 037 MPS (1973-only) on a 74-76 2.0L which runs a little richer than the 043.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.