Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any DIY on replacing engine grill letters with drip tray on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
Have not had time to really get in there with a flash light yet, but wondering, do I have to remove the drip tray off first to get to the hinge bolts on the engine grill cover or can I take it all off and remove the drip cover in the house to put the letters on. Can't find a DIY. Mine is a 76 with the drip tray installed. Any pics would be appreciated. My rear deck letters are spinning and old, finally got some replacements and the tab nuts for them just sitting around..
TheCabinetmaker
Two bolts. One on the bottom of each hinge. Ten mm, 1/4" socket. Hang on to lid cause it will fall off at this point. Easy, huh? Or, just remove the 6 screws (or bolts) and remove tray. On a one to ten scale of difficulty, its a 1/2.
carcus
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 15 2016, 05:32 AM) *

Two bolts. One on the bottom of each hinge. Ten mm, 1/4" socket. Hang on to lid cause it will fall off at this point. Easy, huh? Or, just remove the 6 screws (or bolts) and remove tray. On a one to ten scale of difficulty, its a 1/2.

Thank you VERY much. Going to attempt it today. Much appreciated. Love this forum!!!
Rand
A mod I've done to all my 914s is to slot the holes on the engine lid brackets. If you take the lid off, I'd recommend doing it. Only takes a minute with a cutting wheel. From then on you only have to loosen the bolts and slide the lid up and off. Makes reinstalling a lot easier too when you can just slide it on over the bolts.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 15 2016, 09:45 AM) *

A mod I've done to all my 914s is to slot the holes on the engine lid brackets. If you take the lid off, I'd recommend doing it. Only takes a minute with a cutting wheel. From then on you only have to loosen the bolts and slide the lid up and off. Makes reinstalling a lot easier too when you can just slide it on over the bolts.

Thanks for the tip!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 15 2016, 12:45 PM) *

Yep. Do that to every lid I remove. After I get an ok from the owner. Would never do that too someone else's car without an ok. So far, no one has said no
carcus
Thanks guys, everything went perfect and the new letters are on and tight. Was a pain with one person but good to go. Easier off than on but done and over with. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.