Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for good allen wrench bolt on shift knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
Need something a little better than the OEM shift knob. Someone here used to make some good ones but he is out of touch. Any suggestions on Amazon or EBay for something that will replace the OEM knob on the stock shaft that can be tightened with an allen wrench? The shift shaft is thicker than most universal ones I can find. I have a old 912 chrome Porsche crest knob but it is threaded and will not fit over the stock shaft. Right now tired of the old one spinning around and the crush washer is a bad design. Had to silicone it on so it would not spin and fall off. Any easy cheap solution besides the stock one would be appreciated.....hate to say it but......show me your knobs....I know I will catch hell for that one.
Frankvw
If you google on
jp shiftknob 914
or check for that on ebay
is that something you mean ?
TheCabinetmaker
I don't understand your problem. With 43 years in a 914 I have never had this problem. Have you tried a new knob and washer? I've worked on several cars with aftermarket knobs. They all sucked and would not stay tight.
bdstone914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 15 2016, 04:23 AM) *

I don't understand your problem. With 43 years in a 914 I have never had this problem. Have you tried a new knob and washer? I've worked on several cars with aftermarket knobs. They all sucked and would not stay tight.

agree.gif Buy a new crush sleeve.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...rchButtonGo.y=1
mepstein
agree.gif once a stock knob is installed with a new crush washer, It will be very secure and not come loose. Just make sure to clean out all the silicone or buy a reproduction knob. They sell for $25-30 bucks.
mbseto
Maybe a little off-topic but my favorite shift knob has always been a drilled out billiard ball. Get yourself a '14'.
stugray
Will the rennshifter knobs fit on the stock shifter?

IPB Image
carcus
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 15 2016, 07:03 AM) *

IPB Image

That is EXACTALLY what I am looking for. Can anyone confirm if they will fit on the stock shift shaft?
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(carcus @ Jul 15 2016, 10:29 AM) *

IPB Image

That is EXACTALLY what I am looking for. Can anyone confirm if they will fit on the stock shift shaft?

DUH! If Rennshifter makes it with the 901 shift pattern, then why would you think it wouldn't fit. Besides, its got allen screws. If it is too small.....when are they ever too small, just drill it till it feels good......

Personally, I like my FLAPS eight ball shifter.Click to view attachment
carcus
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jul 15 2016, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Jul 15 2016, 10:29 AM) *

IPB Image

DUH! If Rennshifter makes it with the 901 shift pattern, then why would you think it wouldn't fit. Besides, its got allen screws. If it is too small.....when are they ever too small, just drill it till it feels good......

Personally, I like my FLAPS eight ball shifter.Click to view attachment

I asked because I bought one that was supposed to fit a early 911/912/914 and did not fit. It was threaded and to fit it the hole would need to be drilled out.. Not a DUH, I got hosed once. Wanted to see some pics of options some have on their 914.
infraredcalvin
Usually the Allen head knobs come with a few rubber/plastic sleeve inserts so they fit on different width shift rods - at least my old momo knob did.

I've changed to a wood knob similar to this, I love the feel...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._INTACC_pg3.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.