Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove engine rain drip tray or not....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
I know the earlier model 914 came with no rain drip tray. Does it help much with cooling if it is removed? The one I have on my 76 has a crack in it and wondering if I remove it will it help with cooling? We do get some heavy rain and was keeping it on there to reduce some rain fall on the engine. How do you guys feel on the benefit of the rain tray? During a heavy rain, do you cover the engine grill or just let the rain drop through?
Spoke
QUOTE(carcus @ Jul 16 2016, 04:08 AM) *

I know the earlier model 914 came with no rain drip tray.

If they started with a drip tray and left it off on all later models, I'd do the same.

I've left mine on. Unless the tray is starving the engine for fresh air then it's not causing the engine to run hotter. Without it you run the risk of dumping water directly on the engine and distributor during a rain storm.
era vulgaris
I've got a 4 channel digital CHT gauge on my car so I can monitor instantaneous changes in my head temps on all four cylinders. Last summer I ran without the rain tray for one month to see if head temps would be any different with or without the rain tray. I don't drive in the rain anyway, so I thought why not.
There was no difference whatsoever in my head temps running with or without it. So I put it back on. At the very least it keeps a lot of the detritus that's out there like leaves, pine needles, and insects from getting into your engine bay.
Perry Kiehl Clone
Only the 6 cylinder cars did not have a rain tray. Removing it will only increase the chances of getting water in parts of your engine bay that would be better kept dry. It will also let more dirt in too.

If you have carbs and do not have rain hats, and do not have a rain tray you are increasing the odds of hydro-locking your engine.

Leave it on. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.