Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any one using a Bosch 044 fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
Is any one using the Bosch 044 fuel pump? These are typically for larger conversions with FI.

I'm wondering what you have done as far as mounting the pump and filter? I've seen the dual mounts where you essentially route the fuel in a "u" shape, through the pump then 180 degrees into the filter mounted beside it and then into the fuel line. Any other suggestions?

Also, what about wiring for it? I believe it's a higher electrical load than most stick FI pumps in a 914.

colingreene
I guess the question becomes what do you need that much fuel flow for?
Ive used them a bunch. they are loud as hell.
Andyrew
I use a sump tank with my 044.

Not sure you need to go that big, a 040 will probably suit your needs fine. The 044 will flow 600hp...

I have a dedicated 12ga wire to my 044 and my pre pump (for the sump tank) Its overkill for sure but I am feeding 4ea 1300CC injectors @ 3bar. I want my fuel supply to be consistent.
db9146
Andyrew, I agree...I'm sure that the 040 would be enough except that its an "in-tank" pump rather than an in-line pump.

I've not heard of anyone converting a 914 to an in-tank system.
Andyrew
If you build a surge tank and put in a pre pump you have not only a pump cooler but also essentially no fuel starvation.
Chris914n6
I run a Walbro 190lph in my 3.0L conversion. Small and not any louder than a stock inline pump. With the foam isolater it fits in the stock 75-76 mount.

I don't recall the hp limits but the Walbro 255 is used a lot on big turbo imports.
Mike Bellis
I'm getting ready to buy one but I'm looking at in tank solutions too. I need to find an extra tank to modify...
Chris914n6
Someone here did an in tank swap from a Subaru or something. No real benefit that I can think of when you can get the Walbro kit for $100, unless you swapped gauges and you need the fuel level sender.

My suggestion, start with a metal housing, those white plastic housings are junk and the only way to fix the POM plastic when it cracks is by welding. You will likely need to extend the depth anyways.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 17 2016, 09:42 PM) *

Someone here did an in tank swap from a Subaru or something. No real benefit that I can think of when you can get the Walbro kit for $100, unless you swapped gauges and you need the fuel level sender.

My suggestion, start with a metal housing, those white plastic housings are junk and the only way to fix the POM plastic when it cracks is by welding. You will likely need to extend the depth anyways.

I noticed my pump was really hot in the front trunk when it died. It only had about 5000 miles on it. In the tank would keep it cool.
Cracker
I use an 044 in my car and mounted it along with a pre-filter under the tank. I tried using it in an elevated position under the cowl - no workie. It works well but is very sensitive to placement and heat...

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.