Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Localboy808
Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I've just checked off another box on my bucket list! I've purchased my first 914. I'm sure it's the fairly typical story. I've seen these cars since junior high and have always wanted one. I purchased a 72. Original color was blue. Looks like it's got one reaspray which is yellow. Unfortunately it's got a salvaged title. But I can see no signed of any prior collisions. In fact the body is very straight with only one section of bondo. Passenger side rear quarter just behind the door. But I can feel behind it and it's not bad. The rest of the car has zero rust! I mean zero. None in the trunk or any of the areas Ive read normally rust out.

Paid 4400 for it which was in my budget and thought it was a decent deal. Seats look good. Dash needs some love. Engine has a single carb and starts pretty much on the first crank. Pulls hard! Shifter is very stiff going through the gears. Hoping and guessing it's just dry or bushings. I'll have to research that here. Maybe it's a common problem. I'll post some pictures later. Just wanted to say hi. I've been around air cooled VWs all my life. Currently have a 66 crew cab. So this little 914 is going to be the sporty little toy for me and the wife. I'm going to need some parts. Want to do a full tune up on it. Appears it's been sitting awhile and sometimes dies at idle. Maybe a carb rebuild ect. Any suggestions on the best places for sourcing parts would be appreciated!

Thanks, ScottClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
hndyhrr
welcome.png

cali914
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Jul 17 2016, 06:34 AM) *

Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I've just checked off another box on my bucket list! I've purchased my first 914. I'm sure it's the fairly typical story. I've seen these cars since junior high and have always wanted one. I purchased a 72. Original color was blue. Looks like it's got one reaspray which is yellow. Unfortunately it's got a salvaged title. But I can see no signed of any prior collisions. In fact the body is very straight with only one section of bondo. Passenger side rear quarter just behind the door. But I can feel behind it and it's not bad. The rest of the car has zero rust! I mean zero. None in the trunk or any of the areas Ive read normally rust out.

Paid 4400 for it which was in my budget and thought it was a decent deal. Seats look good. Dash needs some love. Engine has a single carb and starts pretty much on the first crank. Pulls hard! Shifter is very stiff going through the gears. Hoping and guessing it's just dry or bushings. I'll have to research that here. Maybe it's a common problem. I'll post some pictures later. Just wanted to say hi. I've been around air cooled VWs all my life. Currently have a 66 crew cab. So this little 914 is going to be the sporty little toy for me and the wife. I'm going to need some parts. Want to do a full tune up on it. Appears it's been sitting awhile and sometimes dies at idle. Maybe a carb rebuild ect. Any suggestions on the best places for sourcing parts would be appreciated!

Welcome looks like a nice car, sounds like the engine and gearbox needs a little TLC and I think you will enjoy it.
mepstein
welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Lots of good parts sources online and several very reputable member vendors here too. Also check the classifieds for used parts (you can post a WTB ad once you start narrowing down your to-do list). I've had good experiences with Pelican Parts, 914rubber, Tangerine Racing and Restoration Design. There are a few more retailers with which I've had good dealings (Sierra Madre, Aase Sales, Parts Heaven come to mind). And believe it or not, the local Porsche dealer has been very helpful with some items if they're still available.
Good luck with the project. Looking forward to progress pics. driving.gif
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
Drums66
....WELCOME...
bye1.gif
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
jrblackbox
Welcome and enjoy!
Amphicar770
Welcome to the fold.

Yes, you will find many helpful and knowledgeable folks here. The community really adds to the 914 experience.

Lots of shifter info to be found. Start with the basics. Change the gearbox oil and replace ALL of the shift bushings from front to rear. Basic tune up, replace old vacuum lines.
rhodyguy
Before you freak out about the trans, verify the gear lube level is correct. Remove the fill plug BEFORE you do the drain plug.
rktmn247
Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the World! beerchug.gif
green914
welcome.png
Tom_T
welcome.png

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Gmanscott55
welcome.png

Lot's of great folks and help here.
theleschyouknow
welcome.png
all the info you need is here
wow, nobody's told him to ditch the single carb yet

beerchug.gif
cjl
BeemerSteve
welcome.png

Have a blast with it!
Localboy808
Thanks for the warm welcomes! beerchug.gif Thanks for the parts source suggestions. Hear of some. Haven't heard of a couple so that great! Yes a trans oil change is on the soon to do list. Dual carbs would be cool. I've got a set of Dual 40 Kads for a type one vw motor. I'm guessing those will not work. Well at least the intakes? I think ive found the source of the hard to move shifter. It doesn't appear the be the shifter or the shaft itself. The arm that goes into the gear box at the rear seems to be very tight. Not sure if that's normal or if that's a known problem? Maybe nothing to worry about? confused24.gif Pardon my noobness. But this gear box appears to be the early one. Not a side shift one? The point where the shift rod connects it at the very rear of the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll do some research too.

Aloha, Scott
Localboy808
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Jul 17 2016, 12:32 PM) *

welcome.png
all the info you need is here
wow, nobody's told him to ditch the single carb yet

beerchug.gif
cjl

Oh, It's like that here? Haha! happy11.gif
daytona
Welcome to the 914 community.
I hope your 914 is everything and more than you hoped it would be.
Enjoy your new project and keeps us posted the progress photos.
Localboy808
QUOTE(daytona @ Jul 17 2016, 04:36 PM) *

Welcome to the 914 community.
I hope your 914 is everything and more than you hoped it would be.
Enjoy your new project and keeps us posted the progress photos.

Thanks and will do!
Mikey914
Welcome,
Start checking the linkage, maybe something is wedged. Simply replacing the bushings will help. There may be something binding, but if you check each end you should find it.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 17 2016, 06:06 PM) *

Welcome,
Start checking the linkage, maybe something is wedged. Simply replacing the bushings will help. There may be something binding, but if you check each end you should find it.

The linkage seems to be ok. It seems the tightness is coming from the trans itself. The arm that connects to the shift rod seems to be stiff. Other than that it's seems to shift through the gears fine. You just have to use a little more muscle to go through the gears.
Mikey914
If is shifts, drive it. May just have a little crud from sitting. Check the fluid, and GO!
May just need to get some wear from usage to free it up.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 17 2016, 06:36 PM) *

If is shifts, drive it. May just have a little crud from sitting. Check the fluid, and GO!
May just need to get some wear from usage to free it up.

That may be it. I suspect it was sitting for a time. Bought it at a dealer who has a partner that deals in exotics. He had a couple of 914s. But not sure. I'm just glad the body is so solid. Really no rust which I was shocked.
Cairo94507
welcome.png I am sure you are going to be fine. BTW, post up some pics of the VW crew cab please.

Have fun and just take it one task at a time. Once these cars find a jack stand they seem to attach to them semi-permanently.
whitetwinturbo
..........grab that guys yellow stripped jacket since it matches your banana paint job piratenanner.gif
Localboy808
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 17 2016, 09:31 PM) *

welcome.png I am sure you are going to be fine. BTW, post up some pics of the VW crew cab please.

Have fun and just take it one task at a time. Once these cars find a jack stand they seem to attach to them semi-permanently.

I'm hoping to keep it off the jack stands as much as possible! driving.gif

Here you go! Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very Cool beerchug.gif
jor
Love the bus!
Chris H.
welcome.png

Hey if you think it pulls hard with a single carb you will be thrilled when you get rid of it. Dual 40's will work great. Check your fuel lines, brake lines, then enjoy it. I agree, one task at a time. Drive it, drive it, drive it.

LOVE your bus. You will fit right in here.
blackmoon
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 18 2016, 09:33 AM) *

welcome.png

Hey if you think it pulls hard with a single carb you will be thrilled when you get rid of it. Dual 40's will work great. Check your fuel lines, brake lines, then enjoy it. I agree, one task at a time. Drive it, drive it, drive it.

LOVE your bus. You will fit right in here.

agree.gif
Localboy808
Thanks everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.