Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulled the plugs today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blk'72
Hey all...
I had a exhaust leak coming from the right heads/exhaust headers...
SO a I wanted to see if that was just a leak, and if internals got damaged?
Pulled out the headers, and exhaust, and headers are all black and greasy!
Plugs out and they look ok, just a little black but nothign crazy(NO CRACKS< NOTHING JAMMED).
Now here's where I need help....
How do you do a damn compression check!
I have the tester, and what ZzE fuck de bordel de merde should I do whith it?
Anybody uses them who can help?
Thanks a bunch....
My offer for the east bay peeps is still good....anybody want to come over to pleasanton tomorrow after 4 is welcome to....Hopeyard and corte sierra.
GImme a call, we can work on cars together 925.989.7345
Fum times beerchug.gif
R.
john rogers
The engine should be warm to do an accurate test but if it is cold it will be a little low since the rings will not be seated as good as could be. To do one, pull the plugs, lock open the throttle wide, put a charger on the batt so it is at full power the put the compression tester in #1. Have someone crank the engine and watch the gauge jump up. It is important how fast it rises and it should get close to full pressure in just a few cranks then a few more to top off. Bleed off pressure and repeat for #2, 3 and 4. Compare the rate of rise and total pressure and they should all be close. If you have a radical cam with lots of overlap then the rise will be slower than for a stock type of cam shaft. Good luck
GWN7
Don't forget to pull the coil wire so the engine dosen't start on the other 3 cyl.
DBCooper
You want all the plugs out when you do the tests. It's good practice to give each cylinder a squirt of oil through the spark plug hole before cranking. That will seal the rings and the difference between readings for a hot and cold engine won't be much. You're cranking with no compression, so I've never needed a charger unless the battery was bad anyway.
GWN7
Here is a good article on compression, leak down tests, wet and dry testing and Interpreting The Results of these tests.
blk'72
AllrightTTTT!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Thnks you guys!
Now I just need to get back down to the garage ...( I just got out of the shower and covered myself with some of that magic orange paste grease remover....)
I was working on the exhaust system...
Maybe you can help me....the 4 studs holding the exhaust manifold to the heads, were fixed with (heli?)coils ...and only one stud was still in there holding the whole exhaust system, explains the exhaust leak I had...
The only stud I have to rely on is this one and iti s 10mn on one sid plus the spring, and 8mn on the other side??!?!?!
Is this what I need to replace on the other 3?Is this a factory stud?
I need help?
Someone?
R.
SGB
Pretty sure the studs are 8 mm on both ends. Yes, the 10 mm heli-coil didn't stay in the head. Happened to me last time I removed heat exchangers, also. I bought a tap set and ran them all out to 10mm, then bought studs that were 8/10. That may be "bad", but I cant think of why this isn't as good as heli-coils.....
blk'72
thanks scott...
I just want to add this....do VW shops guys know what they are doing/saying when it comes down to our cars????
I am asking this because I went down to this one VW place on the bay area which I will not name, and the guys sold me WRONG eeeeeeeverything!!!!
Common or not?
Whtvr headbang.gif
Anybody in pleasanton up to meet?
Still thinking about ya Paul, if you red this pray.gif
R.
nebreitling
i don't trust bug-shops for advice (hell no), but i'll go there looking for specific parts.

helicoils suck, IMHO. but time-serts are $$$. tapping is okay, just make sure you do it straight. Loctite/JB-weld the hell out of the thing, too.

and wear safety glasses (ask me how i know).

n
blk'72
-"SooOOo , how do you know?...." mueba.gif

I kindda found out too earlier, just some rust and grease getting n my eyes....NNNniiIIIIcEe! mad.gif
nebreitling
at least it wasn't metal shavings...
blk'72
ouaaaaaaaaach!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.