Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Faulty Speedo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
My speedo doesn't work unless i give the glass a knock then it works fine till i stop then i have to tap it again to get it going ,what could be going on
Thanks Brian
Tom_T
Bri,

It probably needs a good cleaning & resto after all these years - & hopefully none of the gears are damaged - but if so, then AFAIK they're still available from Porsche.

But first check to see that it's not the speedo cable which is loose, or binding up. They can be relatively easily be replaced & the OEM part is available.

Try to find a known high quality speedo shop that works on & restores the old school VDO gauges near you in the UK or Europe - with reccos from other 50's-70's Porsche owners who have used them (any 911/912/356/914 etc. owners will do for reccos) - &/or that your local Porsche/VW mechanic knows & trusts.

If that fails, then either Palo Alto Speedometer in the San Francisco area, or North Hollywood Speedometer in SoCal are well respected for repairing & restoring the old VDO gauges - but you'll have 2-way shipping costs & time added.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
////////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.