Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a fair price for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have a 1.7 or 1.8 long block. Been sitting in the garage for years. Whats a reasonable price to ask for it when selling?

I have another motor, and don't really need two spares, and they take up a ton of space.

LMK.

TIA.
KaptKaos
Ok, 56 views and no comments... Hmmm idea.gif

It's a core motor. Likely needs work. What's reasonable? I think it has a flywheel, but don't quote me on that.

Anyone???
bdstone914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 17 2016, 05:32 PM) *

I have a 1.7 or 1.8 long block. Been sitting in the garage for years. Whats a reasonable price to ask for it when selling?

I have another motor, and don't really need two spares, and they take up a ton of space.

LMK.

TIA.

Really hard to say without more details. How complete? Turns over freely sold as core?
Some more desirability to the 1.8 if it has the original heads and FI. Was was known or not known when they were parked?
Maybe $500 or more the 1.8. Hard to give away a 1.7/ Rocker arms are worth $100.
PITA to ship engines.
Bruce
Mueller
Last month I put a complete 1.7 on here and on craigslist for free (minus rockers)

Only 3 people interested in it.

People are funny, I might have had more responses to it if I asked a few hundred for it.
whitetwinturbo
"Fair" means something different to everyone blink.gif
JoeDees
2 years ago I bought a 1.7 longblock (minus rocker arms), a 2.0 shortblock, a set of new 103mm Ps&Cs, a box of random FI parts, and another box of random VW parts for $500. The guy had been asking $300 for the 1.7, $200 for the 2.0, and $250 for the 103s for over a month before he caved to my offer. There's a guy near me asking $300 for a 1.7 longblock who's been trying to sell for like 2 months now with no luck (I'm waiting him out with my $300 offer for engine and trans).

I really think a core 1.7 longblock is in the $100 range.

EDIT: I looked at my records while home for lunch and found I paid $400 for the lot, not $500.
Drums66
[quote name='DirtyCossack'

I really think a core 1.7 longblock is in the $100 range.
[/quote]

.......My thinking idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Jeffs9146
I gave one away a few years ago!! beerchug.gif

stinkindiesel
It's just a matter of finding someone close who needs a 1.7. Shipping is the biggest issue with getting a 1.7 sold.

Wish there was someone close to me trying to unload a 1.7 for a reasonable price. I'd love to have a replacement for the EC currently in my car.

Gary
GeorgeRud
I ended up giving away a 1.7 just to get it out of the garage. If someone was willing toick it up, I was happy!
JoeDees
For the record: I will take any free air-cooled engine off of anybody's hands that's within 3 hours of me/Ft Huachuca, AZ.
7TPorsh
Is it W code?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.