Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency Rear Trunk Opening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
omoore3
Help, Please! I'm desperate. Talked wife into a nice long road trip yesterday. Put her purse in rear trunk. Now won't operate. Got power to switch. Ground is good. But solenoid doesn't "Click" I hate to pry off my nice new rear valence panels etcs and try to drill through. She gave me to Monday morning nwhen she goes to work. Any hedlp would be REALLY appreciated.
Oliver
1975 2.0 sad.gif

IGNORE ABOVE: On theory that a loose connection somewhere beyond where I could access, I just took car for hard ride on bumpy road. Trunk opened! Wife happy!
Racing916
Try having someone push down above the latch on the rear of the car, while you hit the switch. Sometimes the selinoid has to be pushed farther in to get it to engage.
Hope it works.
Elliot_Cannon
I haven't had this problem but I'm told you can drill a small hole (where the release button used to be) through the reflector if you have one and stick a small piece of wire, (coat hangar) and push till you find the release.
Good luck, Elliot
Racing916
If you do not want to ruin your reflector you could try drilling under thr trunk right in front of the seam, and fishing a coat hanger. But hopefully it opens first.
TheCabinetmaker
Have your wife push the release button and sit down hard on the edge of the trunk lid. Don't just sit on it, bump it hard with yer ass. Then while you have it open, install an emergency release cord under the car, or get Engmans manual release cable kit and dump the electrical crap.
Joe Bob
Yeah...commom problem. I put the switch under the license plate so that I can push it and down on the trunk at the same time. I also had a small hole in the reflector so that a wire could be used to push the lock open........

Might want to fully cahrge the battery and/or use a jumper cable on a running car's battery...
ejm
As long as the top isn't in the trunk try this...open the engine comp and pop out the cups that the front latches sit in. Working through the holes use a coat hanger with a 3/4" hook on the end, slip it between the bracket and the latch, rotate it so the hook can grab the release and pull towards the front to pop the latch.
omoore3
Thanks for all quick responses. Now that I can get it opened, I will take preventative measures.
Oliver
Engman
And THAT is the reason I developed THIS

M

boxstr
Oliver, one step you might want to take is to install a pull chain on the latch assembly so in case this happens again you can open the trunk without any cause for alarm.
Just open the rear trunk, pull up the rear carpet and pad. Drill a hole 6mm at the very back towards the reflector and in the middle. This will be directly under the trunk latch assebly. The get a cahin or a long bendable wire and run ittrhough the hole and onto the latch. It needs to be positioned so that it pulls down on the latch, and opens the trunk. It will be positoned near the rear muffler. Watch your hand after a long drive if trying to open.
I have two cars with rear reflector, both have the safety chains.
CCLINCHAINOFFOOLS
boxstr
Or you could buy Marks release mechanism.
CCLINRELEAEMELETMEGO
skline
I bought Marks (Engmans) trunk release cable. It is awesome!! Check out his other products too, great engineering and the best in quality.

Insert salesman smiley here
Elliot_Cannon
agree.gif I installed Engmans cable release and it works fine, lasts a long time.
Cheers, Elliot
JoeSharp
Being CSOB I drilled the hole.
Joe
sj914
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 10 2005, 07:36 AM)
I bought Marks (Engmans) trunk release cable. It is awesome!! Check out his other products too, great engineering and the best in quality.

Insert salesman smiley here

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.