914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Sure looks awesome, though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...6&category=6430

J P Stein
Hay, It don't hurt to ask biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Hey JP, thats your favorite color too!

Where's the front bulkhead carpet and the spare tire cover?? Why would those be missing on a 11k car?

Geoff
aircooledboy
Should "11k miles" and "restored" and "$38,000" all appear in the description of the same car? idea.gif confused24.gif
smg914
It looks like a nice car but I see two things that I couldn't live with on an original low mileage car; Speaker cut outs in the door panels and the radio antenna on the passenger side front fender. I hate when that happens!
anthony
That's the best masking job I've ever seen around the vin sticker but missing a rivet on the Karmen color badge.

And what's up with a rusty gauge bezel on a $38K car??
LvSteveH
QUOTE (smg914 @ Apr 10 2005, 08:03 AM)
radio antenna on the passenger side front fender.

Wasn't the antenna a dealer installed option that could end up on either fender? I've never heard it being "incorrect" to be on one fender or the other.
bd1308
no original becker radio???? WTF?
914werke
Notice the VIN decription(s)? screwy.gif
tat2dphreak
if I'd have seen this ad yesterday... I was in Grapevine... I'd stop it to smack someone...

they are dreaming about 38k...

I'm thinking maybe 112k miles instead of 12k and that's why it was restored...

it's very nice, don't get me wrong, but 19k starting bid?!?! and 38k BIN... screwy.gif
Joe Bob
Radios AND the antenna were dealer installed items....

The dash is rippled....
TJB/914
I love it when you guys pick apart an expensive 914. I know the $38K is high, but in 10-years it may be the "right price". Lets see now, restoration manhours at the local shop @ $100 per hr. adds up fast.

Anthony, good eye on that rivet!!!

Tom
Dominic
Market Value: $36K-$48K (for miles & condition – here is the best of the best) bs.gif

I think I'll move to texas and sell 914's biggrin.gif Apparently it's more profitable than an oil well. screwy.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (smg914 @ Apr 10 2005, 08:03 AM)
It looks like a nice car but I see two things that I couldn't live with on an original low mileage car; Speaker cut outs in the door panels and the radio antenna on the passenger side front fender. I hate when that happens!

mine is on my passenger side too! I've always felt the odd guy out when ever i see a fellow teener out there!
anthony
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 10 2005, 11:50 AM)
I love it when you guys pick apart an expensive 914. I know the $38K is high, but in 10-years it may be the "right price". Lets see now, restoration manhours at the local shop @ $100 per hr. adds up fast.

I don't think cars like these cars will command $38K prices in 10 years. In 10 years $20K might be reasonable for fully rebuilt, mint condition 4 banger. Heck it can cost that much right now to build one yourself. This car is realistically worth $8-12K.
LvSteveH
You also have to keep in mind that just a few years ago $6000 would buy you a pristine 73 2.0L, now that will get you a nice solid driver. Times are changing, but I think gas will have to get up to $35 per gallon for the 914-4 to command over $20k.
cdmcse
Is it just me, or does it look like there could possible be some bondo below VIN tag in this pic...

user posted image
ninefourteener
Ok..... I'm probably talking out of my ass here... and I'm quite sure someone will enlighten me.... cuz I seriously doubt I would have found this first.

I thought all the 4cyl cars came with 120 mph speedos????

This one has a 150 mph speedo.... is that correct??

If now.... wouldn't the 11k mileage thing be disproven??
Qarl
In mid or late '72 they switched to 150 mph speedos.

Quit talking out of your bootyshake.gif !
Andyrew
No engine pics....

Asked the seller, we'll see.
Brett W
Lets put a V8 in it. biggrin.gif
boxstr
Sawzall+914=Increased Value
CCLINBUYANDSELL
smg914
Radios and antennas were dealer installed options on the 914 but the dealers installed the antennas on the driver's side fender (although I really can't speak for all Porsche dealerships). I believe most of the antennas you see on the passenger side were aftermarket installations.

By the way, I turned down 25K for my Sahara Beige 914 last week. I'm not kidding!
Brando
blegh
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Brando @ Apr 10 2005, 06:59 PM)
I hope it sells for at least the starting bid.

I'm kind of dissappointed. We all rip apart good cars when their listed, but not everyone realizes the reprucussions.

The more we devalue what our cars sell for, the less they're all worth. I'd rather be helping that car sell. It's like you all want your cars to be easier to buy and be cheaper, but sell for more. Kind of counter-productive no?

ohmy.gif Oh man, not again. unsure.gif

Here it comes headbang.gif chair.gif spank.gif alfred.gif
SGB
I want LOW market value. I'm not selling. I don't care if some stranger thinks my "Porsh" is worth a bunch o' dollars. I want to be able to drive & repair & enjoy & to hell with the # of miles & the # of paint coats & "the factory didn't make 'em that way". The more undiscovered we remain, the better. Thats my take. ohmy.gif
TJB/914
Steve G

I believe you. Your car is worth much, much more than that $25K offer. There are people out there with lots of money. Our gang of 914ers have this cheap mentality & a difficult time understanding some folks have money. If you don't believe me tune into the Barrett Jackson Auctions.

Hope I didn't offend anyone calling them cheap, but our 914 crowd needs to think like the rich folks uptown. They buy quality and have the money. As the 914's become acceptable the prices will keep going up. How high, hard to predict. I believe after this years Parade there will be a spike in prices with all the 914's showing up. 6's will lead the way then 73-74, 2-liters.

Tom
SGB
Well, I am taking mine up to the parade, but I didn't know there was any expectation of an abundance of teeners. It's true, PCA doesn't ignore our little car anymore, but I agree that it aint no nine-eleben. If prices go as high as this guy wants, the value will be gone for me. They aren't THAT GOOD. Hell, I would prolly pay more for a good v-8 conversion , or the Alien beerchug.gif , but my plain 'ol 2.0 isn't a $25K auto.
TJB/914
Hey Phil,

I agree with you about the 914. You can't stop the rise of these adorabel little cars. They fit everyones pleasure from V/8 powered to restored. They fit the rich & poor and everyone in between. I remember the 356 a number of years ago. They had their low end admirer's who waited too long to purchase. They are now out of the market, because the source of cheap ones dried up. It's happening now with our 914's. Get yours now & forget about cheap 914's. Give our 914's the respect they deserve & everyone stop talking cheap $$.

Tom
BTW
My dream 914 would be a V/8 powdered GT type 914.
smg914
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 10 2005, 05:44 PM)
Steve G

I believe you. Your car is worth much, much more than that $25K offer. There are people out there with lots of money. Our gang of 914ers have this cheap mentality & a difficult time understanding some folks have money. If you don't believe me tune into the Barrett Jackson Auctions.

Hope I didn't offend anyone calling them cheap, but our 914 crowd needs to think like the rich folks uptown. They buy quality and have the money. As the 914's become acceptable the prices will keep going up. How high, hard to predict. I believe after this years Parade there will be a spike in prices with all the 914's showing up. 6's will lead the way then 73-74, 2-liters.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I totally agree with your insight. Original paint, low mileage, totally original 914's will continue to appreciate and bring top dollar. Also cars like your Chrome Yellow '74 2 Liter that are restored to perfection will also demand a premium. However, cars like these should never take anything away from the daily driver cars and the customized cars that so many enjoy. It just so happened that back in 1998 when I bought my Sahara Beige 914 from the original owner it was so perfect that I knew that I had no choice but to preserve it. I get a lot of criticism for not utilizing it more but cars like this just don't come around very often. We should probably be thankful that perfect examples of these cars still exist because in the long run it will help bring the value of all 914's up proportionally. And that can't be all bad!
CptTripps
We were picking this one apart in another thread earlier...

I think it's a mistake. "Restored" should not be a word used to describe a 4-cyl $30K 914. It should NOT have speaker holes in the doors.

I'm thiinking someone needs to smack the guy that priced that car...in 10 years, sure...in 2005...no way. Not that car anyway.
JeffBowlsby
I am with you Steve. I think the vintage car mentality should think long term. An original car is only original once. 20,000 miles is better than 50,000 miles if all the other variables are the same. The way Tom has restored his car...its better than factory new.

We still enjoy our cars immensely without driving them to the store everyday, we have other cars for the chores. In fact for me, seeing them so pristine is the best experience of all.

I hope some day we can host a 'Favorite 914 Gallery' here on this website. Tom and Steve, your cars would be at the top of my nomination for the list.
smg914
Jeff, have you always been so reasonable? You're the man!
red914
can someone tell me why the VIN on this car is in a whole different format than mine? i don't understand... confused24.gif
smg914
VIN 4732922004 - The format of the VIN on your car should be exactly like this. You must be looking at something other than the VIN. Unless your talking about the sticker itself. There were a couple different versions of the sticker.
boxstr
Tom, I just happen to have you V8 powered GT 914, it won't be cheap.
CCLINBUYHOLDSELL
TJB/914
Craig, you bastard!! That's like dangling crack to an addict.

If you tell me those are steel flares, I'll have to ask my better half to loan me the money. Wow, life is full of choices. Keep my happy home life or live on the street with my V/8 914. I'll send you a personal PM.

Tom
IronHillRestorations
One of the problems with 914's is that it's (except for engine and trans), it's actually cheper to restore a 911. Weather seals are cheaper for a 911 than a 914, and for some parts the corresponding 911 part is less than the 914 part.

Of course this should all be mute points on a low mileage car.

It could be very possible to have a low mileage car that needs cosmetic restoration, but I wouldn't think as much as this person claims.

Believe me restoration work isn't a dollar for dollar swap at sale time.

The only way to really know what this car is about is to be able to sit in it, drive it, crawl under it, and peer into all the dark recesses you can't see on a eBay ad.
boxstr
Having owned Porsches sine the early 70s and been a Porsche enthusiast sice then. I have seen the prices rise and fall on all of the Porsche cars.I have been enamored withthe 914 for the past ten years, I have restored and bought and sold a number of these cars and I have watched there status change to what I beleive is bordering on the collector car.

The 356 is very reflective of the state of value fluctuation that the 914 is in right now. The 356 was seen as underpowered and only for those how really didn't want to step up to the 911s and Carreras. Sort of an outcast if you will, until the advent of the 356 registry, and the 356 was thrown into a new collector car status. The prices have been rising ever since.

The 914 has slowly grown into the car of choice by those who either do not want, can'tafford or just don't like the 911 or 356.
Throw away mentality is pushing the 914 into the collector car status, this isn't nessecarily a good thing, it happened to the 356, 914s left out in the elements are hard to bring back to life. Lack of parts and lack of funds on the owners part, plus the idea that you can sell the parts and discard the rest is prevalent.

Look at the British car magazines, numerousads appear for manufacturers of complete bodies, and panels and doors and hoods. You can build a whole from replacement panels.
The 914 is not so lucky, you have to salvage panels from discarded 914s to help keep one on the road.
Open a hot rod magazine, companies are manufacturing complete 32 Ford bodies from steel. The original 32 Ford bodies are either rusted away or have been saved and restored.

Until attitudes change towards the 914 that it is a throw away car, good cars are going to increase in value and great cars are going to command the higher prices that we are starting to see today.
CCLINBUYANDSELL
morgan_harwell
>Includes: 'snip' Original Dark Tan Leather Interior

Leather interior looks real nice, but "original", I don't think so.

mike_the_man
I sent the seller an email asking exactly what he meant by restored, as well as why there were speakers in the door panels, and an aftermarket radio. I also asked for pics of the engine and undercarriage.

Here is his reply: "Reconditioned is a better choice of word...I have updated the auction, please reveiw. Thanks, Ron Hentsche."

Not a whole lot of help. I still have no idea what he means by reconditioned. confused24.gif No pics sent either. Who wants to bet that its carbed! ohmy.gif

It looks like a very nice car, and I'm all for the prices of our cars going up, but IMHO, there is no way this car should sell for what he's asking. There are a few things that seem a little sketchy to me.

SGB
I really need (at least) two 914s. My current high mileage, no-longer-stock driver; and a true "original condition" collector car. I understand the fascenation with pristine originality, but not pristine re-assembly. Once it has been "restored", or even "reconditioned", it isn't historical, it is more "representational". My car still may be a factory color, but it has been "improved" in various ways- options unavailable at time of production due to technology or $. I like it that way fer the drivin'. But for historical significance, a car shouldn't be re-anythinged. I think a few battle scars are even acceptable on an un-restored car. Thats where the history is....
boxstr
This seller is trying to be honest about the "recondition" of this car. He isn't hiding anything. He just hasn't taken as many pics as another seller might.
Description reads "fuel injection".
CCLINSAYLAVIE
anthony
Lack of parts and lack of funds on the owners part, plus the idea that you can sell the parts and discard the rest is prevalent.

Nothing is going to stem the tide until prices rise quite a bit more. Right now parts are worth a lot more than a beat chassis. 10 years from now a rustoration project chassis might be worth something and won't get cut up. Until then 914s will continue to be neglected and cut up when deemed no longer fit for service. Very few people neglect a 911 because the entry price is a lot higher.

greg.treadway
The repaint worries me.
davep
A very nice appearing car. One of my favourite colors also. The repaint does not look very good though, it is far too rough. Nice job on masking the DOT decal, they removed the Karmann badge, but still did not get the paint right.

If the car was well taken care of, then it could be a restored 111,000 mile car. It was very easy to roll over the 100,000 mile mark. They should have finished the front trunk properly. I can't believe such a low milage car would need the complete repaint. At those kind of miles the original paint should still be good on the interior at least.

There are a few very nice original cars. Steve's car is definitely one of those. The extra bonus of custom color adds quite a bit also. A value there of between $30 to $40K would be reasonable right now. The blue 76 seen earlier is also in that category I think. This car may be worth about $20K when properly finished.
redshift
Mine would cost me $38k by the time it was fully restored, if I cared anymore, and was more than just a touch stupid!

smile.gif

No funny remarks, I admitted I am at least a bit stupid, let's move on..

M
vortrex
I think enough people laughed at the owner, he removed the "buy it now" option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.