Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on reinstalling shift linkage boot at firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPA914
I replaced the bushing at the firewall on my sideshifter and the rubber boot that covers it was loose from before. For the life of me, I can't figure how to put this back on. I tried working a number of different screwdrivers around the edge, but there's just not enough room for any of them. The "lip" at the bottom of the firewall is in the way and the shift bar prevents me from getting at the top of the boot. What am I missing?
worn
QUOTE(JPA914 @ Jul 22 2016, 07:56 AM) *

I replaced the bushing at the firewall on my sideshifter and the rubber boot that covers it was loose from before. For the life of me, I can't figure how to put this back on. I tried working a number of different screwdrivers around the edge, but there's just not enough room for any of them. The "lip" at the bottom of the firewall is in the way and the shift bar prevents me from getting at the top of the boot. What am I missing?

Use the included swear words found in the owners manual. It is sometimes really hard to get the thing on. It helps to have grease where you want it to slide and none at all where you are grabbing. For that a rag or paper towel will sometimes help between the rubber and your grip. Sorry man. Don't be too afraid to use rounded prying tools.
bretth
I haven't done this yet myself but there are coolant hose removal tools that basically look like a screw driver bent into a hook with a blunt tip that may be good for something like this. I think I got mine from Harbor Freight Tools.

Brett
saigon71
I struggled with that damn boot too. I ended up using a cotter-key pulling tool under the lip of the boot. Get it started on bottom, then work it around with the tool.
kkid
Flip the edge of the boot about a 3/4" then flip it back to the wall. It takes 20 seconds. No tools needed. It's like a condom smile.gif

PS: other side of the boot needs to be off from the bar to ease the rubber tension.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(kkid @ Jul 29 2016, 09:48 AM) *

Flip the edge of the boot about a 3/4" then flip it back to the wall. It takes 20 seconds. No tools needed. It's like a condom smile.gif

PS: other side of the boot needs to be off from the bar to ease the rubber tension.

agree.gif That's how I do it. Literally 20 seconds that way.
JPA914
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It'll be a few days before I can get back to work on the car, but I'll try these out and report back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.