Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Workshop Manuals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mercdev
I'm one of the (many) people who have a PDF version of these, and always seem to lose on the eBay auctions for the real deal. The local Porsche dealership here said that they are NLA (is this true?).

So that leads me to ask, is this something that is reprintable?
ws91420
they are about 700 bucks.
Porsche Rescue
Performance Products has them in their catalog for $835! Doubt they sell very many. A set goes for around $300 on Ebay. Keep watching.
I view them as an investment. You will always be able to get your money back if you decide to sell.
mk114
can I get a copy of this pdf file

I really could use it I would love to have it
Tom73
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 10 2005, 05:42 PM)
A set goes for around $300 on Ebay.

The last couple of sets have gone for over $400......
markb
As I just mentioned to somebody in another post, call Dave @ GPR. 1 800 321-5432. He'll get you the best price. I paid 350 a few years ago for the repros. Factory (maroon folders) I don't think are available.
Porsche Rescue
See, I told you they are an investment grade product!
Mueller
you can have the .pdf files printed out (in color where appl.) at a Kinkos.

Someone had hard copy prints of the shop manual for like $75 at one time.....color B-sized wiring diagrams to boot smile.gif

stags14
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 11 2005, 10:40 AM)
you can have the .pdf files printed out (in color where appl.) at a Kinkos.

Someone had hard copy prints of the shop manual for like $75 at one time.....color B-sized wiring diagrams to boot smile.gif

Why use Kinkos when you can print them out for free at work???

clap.gif clap.gif mueba.gif
dralf
I have printed most of the PDF, however, I was never able to get the electric chapter to download compleatly nor print. Is there a good version of that out here somewhere ? unsure.gif
davep
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 10 2005, 05:42 PM)
I view them as an investment. You will always be able to get your money back if you decide to sell.

Not so sure of that if the PDF version becomes popular. Same as the PET parts list. If you can get a free electronic copy, how much is the original hardcopy really worth. That said, I have all the original books I can find, and know of. I have a few not normally even heard of. I am reluctant to have them leave my hands since my investment could disappear. I bought them because I need and use the info. The main set of manuals I purchased 25 years ago.
greg.treadway
The factory manuals are NLA at the moment. I think we will have some in at the end of May. That is what I hear. They will still be expensive.
bd1308
could i have a copy of the PDF scan?
mercdev
So that leads me to ask, is this something that is reprintable?

So any legal experts on this? I believe the copyright on printed material is only 25-30years, but I'm no expert. What keeps anyone from reproducing these and selling for minimal profit (over actual expense)? I find it hard to believe that 8 binders actually costs $800 or anywhere near that to cover actual production costs and a decent profit.
guywan914
Glad I got mine when I did, I paid a little better than 350 about 1.5 years ago. It's about the only thing I got that actually made a little money. biggrin.gif
greg.treadway
I believe you can renew the copyright at will or with each publishing.
Tom73
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Apr 11 2005, 06:57 PM)
I believe you can renew the copyright at will or with each publishing.

This is from the Libary of Congress:

Works published before 1923 are now in the public domain. (Circular 1, "Copyright Basics," page 6, supplemented by SL 15, "New Terms for Copyright Protection.")

Published works copyrighted 1923 through 1977 that are still in their original term of copyright or whose copyright was renewed are protected for 95 years from the copyright date. (Circular 1, "Copyright Basics," page 6, supplemented by SL 15, "New Terms for Copyright Protection." (Copyrights registered up until Dec. 31, 1963 expired after 28 years, unless the copyright was renewed. The only way to determine whether items published from 1924 through 1963 are still in a renewal term of copyright is to do a copyright search and establish that the item was copyrighted and that the copyright was renewed.)
mistro
OK Rant comming on...
Ya know the whole collection of stuff is going a little too far. I'll be glad to meet someone, anywhere, virtually or physically and give them $25 or a case of beer or a meal for a copy of the pdf. I want the info, I don't care if it is in a maroon binder, written on stone tablets or whatever. My life is not going to be materially better if I have a bunch of maroon folders, and I'm surely not in it for the potential appreciation of some printed documentation. I want the INFO so that when my car, that was meant to be driven, needs something so I can drive it, I can become educated. It's better on a pdf, cause when I need the info, I can find it and not get my valuable printed binders all greasy. Rant over...
brer
nice boat mistro.
MarkV
Email me an address and I will burn you a copy. It really isn't anything to get excited about. Kind of a pain to find the info you need in a big fat .pdf file. There is a better version out there that is organized better on two discs.
mistro
Thanks that's my baby, Wawas' Roost, 1999 Hunter 340 sailing Long Island Sound out of Halloween Yacht Club Working hard on it right now to get her ready for the season, no rust but she needs paint... on the bottom LOL
mercdev
QUOTE (MarkV @ Apr 12 2005, 01:28 AM)
Email me an address and I will burn you a copy. It really isn't anything to get excited about. Kind of a pain to find the info you need in a big fat .pdf file. There is a better version out there that is organized better on two discs.

I don't think I have that one mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.