Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid things you've done to your 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Bought my car about 6 years ago, almost 7. At the time it was my first 914, and I was excited to get it running. it was not running and we were thinking at the time of doing an EV as a father/son project but once running I just could not do that to the car. turns out that was a wise move! BUT... I did do a couple things that I wish I had not and , if I had it to over again I would not - because those things have now come back to cost some $$ to fix ----

1. put 911/93 seat in it - no I have to have some floor pan repair done, because the original mounts on the drivers side were taken out - could be worse, since the floor had pitting and a rust hole, it needed to be replace anyway but... I liked the comfort of the seats, I should have just got the GTS seats instead

2. when doing the 5 lug conversion I put 7" fuchs on and the shop that put them on didn't pay attention to the fact that the were rubbing- barely but enough that I caused the paint to blister, and worse yet they really fuched it up trying to roll out the fenders, thus the repair work that is now being done on it at CFR as we speak

3. Not fixing the rust issues first BEFORE getting into replacing the interior etc etc.

So- anyone else willing to pass on some words of wisdom to others along this line of "wish I hadn't done that" ??

well we live and learn , sometimes the hard way- next time I would do that!!!
Dr. Phil
JeffBowlsby
Not me or anyone I know...Believe it or not there is a limit to what a 914 can/cannot do. It cannot fly...

JoeDees
I would have bought the other car. I was looking at two cars, one was a complete 1970 1.7, kinda running, looked like shit, 6-7 hours away for $700. The other looked great, complete but apart 1973 1.7, 2 hours away for $1500. I bought the 1973 and found the seller did a lot of "work"/hiding issues, a wreck, etc... I'm pretty sure I would have been better off with the other car because I would have planned for the complete rotisserie rusto from the start and changed up some work order.

Rsjg911
Sold it!
Bought another.
Sold it!!
Bought another.
Sold it!!!
Bought another.
Not selling again!!!!!
Coondog
QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ Jul 25 2016, 12:58 PM) *

Sold it!
Bought another.
Sold it!!
Bought another.
Sold it!!!
Bought another.
Not selling again!!!!!

Ditto
Brian Mifsud
Sold the original numbers matching 4 cylinder after I bought the '83 SC engine.. then decided to cancel the /6 conversion... had to scramble to find another 1976 engine... original in all other aspects otherwise...
carr914
Had someone that had no idea what they were doing put on 911 Flag Mirrors! dry.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ Jul 25 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Sold it!
Bought another.
Sold it!!
Bought another.
Sold it!!!
Bought another.
Not selling again!!!!!

I can beat that!

Bought It!
Sold It!
Bought it back!
Sold it!
Bought it again!
Sold - Gone for good!

I have done the Bought it, sold it, bought it back & sold it again on 3 other 914s! headbang.gif
Scott S
Do a -6 conversion.
headbang.gif
914Sixer
Bought into the bigger brake upgrades back in the late 80's.

Cut up a perfectly good car and made a Chalon out of it in 1986.
amfab
34 years ago, my first 914 in high school I cut 10 inch holes in the firewall behind the seats to put in Subwoofers, sold it soon after

Interestingly exactly 34 days ago I bought another one and am trying to make up for it,

been all 911s in between
Larmo63
I wish I would never have met the dickhead who is screwing me on my /6 build.

I wish I wouldn't have trusted him, given him money, and become friends with him.

I thought at this juncture in life, I would be a better judge of character.
infraredcalvin
Wish I would have never put her on jackstands...
wes
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 25 2016, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Rsjg911 @ Jul 25 2016, 12:58 PM) *

Sold it!
Bought another.
Sold it!!
Bought another.
Sold it!!!
Bought another.
Not selling again!!!!!

Ditto

Includ me in on that one, if I could have channeled all that money into one car instead of five 914's i'd be dollars a head for sure.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 25 2016, 08:57 PM) *

I wish I wouldn't have trusted him, given him money, and become friends with him.

blink.gif lol-2.gif
I cant quite tell if you are joking , half joking/serious or just really pissed! who is doing the /6 conversion for you?
Steve
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jul 25 2016, 04:21 PM) *

Do a -6 conversion.
headbang.gif

Your the first person that I know of that regretted converting to a six. Curious why?
mb911
Bought my 70 1.7 that was a total rust bucket fixed rust, added fiberglass flares and sold (best decision) bought a roller rust free 75 tub rebuilt everything and converted to a 2.7 6 with zeniths ( best car I owned ) sold it ( worst thing ever) had a bunch of 911s, 930s, 964s. ( good decision) had my own porsche only business ( great decision though ruined my passion for the brand) bought a 73 914 to make a Gt clone with a 2.4 six ( jury is out on this as a considerable amount of rust on it but leaning towards a good decision as it really is igniting my passion for the cars again)

Learned a few things type 4s in stock configuration are not for me

Learned 6s are a pia to work on unless you drop the engine

Learned when you are tired of a project walk away for a while

Learned that the 914 world has a great group of enthusiasm and good people

Learned 911s are great cars but when I was buying twin plug distributor caps for my 3.2 ss turbo engine that maybe I am just a tad crazy.
Larmo63
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 26 2016, 05:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 25 2016, 08:57 PM) *

blink.gif lol-2.gif
I cant quite tell if you are joking , half joking/serious or just really pissed! who is doing the /6 conversion for you?

I'm serious and I won't name names.

Yet.
DavidSweden
I was contently drilling and removing the gallery plugs when the wife calls me and starts going on about what we should eat for dinner. Food is uninteresting to me I will quite happily eat porridge if left to my own devices. Anyway after the distraction I get back to removing the plugs, for some unknown reason I drilled in the casting/gallery above the pressure relief valve which is not a plug. A major mistake which caused me a lot of grief. I am still kicking myself over this mistake.
mountainroads
Does totalling the car count? Full disclosure: 19 yo. Dark. Raining. Bald tires. Waaaay "over-served" at a party. 1970 914-6 meets light pole. Thankfully, nobody seriously hurt. 40 years ago when the cops would simply give you a speeding ticket and then drop you at your door. Redemption car nearing completion.

- MR
r_towle
The key mistake was three guys. They could have made it with two.
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 25 2016, 11:16 AM) *

Not me or anyone I know...Believe it or not there is a limit to what a 914 can/cannot do. It cannot fly...

76-914
Urethane bushings. barf.gif
poorsche914
Owned a Bumble Bee in the late '80s. Was in fairly decent condition but was not running. Living in Florida at the time and stuffed it in a storage unit along with a Lotus Europa TC Special. When I moved to Tennessee, had no way to move two non-op vehicles so ended up keeping the Lotus and, after stripping most of the parts, left the 914 at a junk yard headbang.gif

My current 914 is a Creamsicle I have brought back from the dead so I feel somewhat vindicated rolleyes.gif

driving.gif
Alphaogre
I think this thread should be connected to the thread about how fast you have done in your 914 thread...haha They are usually connected to each other in application...
Gunn1
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 26 2016, 06:58 PM) *

I think this thread should be connected to the thread about how fast you have done in your 914 thread...haha They are usually connected to each other in application...

I will buy that for a dollar!

sixnotfour
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 26 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Does totalling the car count? Full disclosure: 19 yo. Dark. Raining. Bald tires. Waaaay "over-served" at a party. 1970 914-6 meets light pole. Thankfully, nobody seriously hurt. 40 years ago when the cops would simply give you a speeding ticket and then drop you at your door. Redemption car nearing completion.

- MR

what color was it ??? I stripped a lot of parts off a six that was a tow yrd on 125th and hwy 99... had a groovy blue white 70s paint job..OG Irish Grn.. around 1979-80
pole hit pass. side Hard
mountainroads
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 27 2016, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 26 2016, 09:14 AM) *

- MR

what color was it ??? I stripped a lot of parts off a six that was a tow yrd on 125th and hwy 99... had a groovy blue white 70s paint job..OG Irish Grn.. around 1979-80
pole hit pass. side Hard

That sure sounds like the same car. Lincoln Towing / Auto Wrecking, IIRC. Timing is correct too, as I wrecked in Nov 1979. Originally Irish Green. Repaint by prior owner to Metallic Blue. I'm pretty sure no white. Maybe that was primer you were seeing? biggrin.gif

My friend who took me to retrieve my personals has pics somewhere. He still kids me about it. Pass door was up against the shifter. Car looked more like a horseshoe. I was extremely lucky on several levels. Nobody else in car. I walked away.

The tranny guts later went into a 1968 911L that I was rebuilding the engine for and converting from Sportomatic. I'm hoping to check DMV someday for any records so VIN can get added to the dead list.

- MR
sixnotfour
I have the trunk VIN tag some where

I got steering column, rear trans mounts, front wiring harness, wiper motor , went back to get more and it was gone to the scrap yard..
dcheek
Installed Koni shocks - too stiff on the softest setting. Put the Boges back on.

Drained oil, got a phone call, filled with new oil and forgot to put the plug back in. Oil all over my brand new driveway!!!!!!

Took 2 cars to a Porsche event. I drove the 911, the wife drove the 914. Big mistake. She would have done much better shifting the G50 trans in the 911. I can still hear the gears grinding!

Never asking for the window sticker when i purchase my car.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.