Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad (no ) Idle when hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
Nice Day in Ohio yesterday so I took the teener which is now drivable out for a spin. I run up and down a few country roads and warmed the engine up. I noticed I was almost out of gas so I drove into town to get some. Did not fill it all the way up for my wallet was limited. I was nervous about whether the car would start after fueling but it did. Big smile on my face but then at the next stop light it stalled. It then just cranked and cranked and after a minute it fired up. Got it home and I see that the problem is that it will idle rough with low RPMs when hot and eventually dies !

My question is how do I adjust the idle faster when it is hot, or is this a symptom of something else ? I have a 75 with a 2.0 FI, but from the looks of it, the PO has modified some of the components. Unfortunately I will be traveling the next 3 weeks and can’t work on it but would appreciate any advice from the experts, or at least some places to start looking when I get back into town. huh.gif
scotty914
sounds like you aar is working and the idle is set to low. the aar gives the engine extra air when cold, when the motor warms up it cuts that air off. so what i would do is start it cold and adjust the idle to 1200 or so then whan warm the idle should be around 800 to 900. if you need to adjust it some more you can just get ready to shut it off if it races on the next cold start.

but while you are in there do a tune up and make sure everything is working right. including vacumn leaks

TheCabinetmaker
What do you mean by "modified some components"? What did he modify, and how did he modify them?
dralf
ohmy.gif
I know next to nothing regarding the FI set up and plan to do a bit of reading in the next few weeks to see how my system should work versus how it is set up. The PO did a number of things that sure do not look like stock including plugging the vacuum line going to the dizzy and tons of RTV around the air cleaner. I will get my camera out and post a few pics.

dralf
Found some early pictures of the engine that I posted a few weeks ago when I was asking for suggestions regarding making it look neater. Some of the members commented at that time about parts being in strange places. As I stated earlier, I will get this car out in the sun and take some better pictures so everyone can see the "modifications" that appear to have been made to it.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys
dralf
second pic
dralf
Oups, here is the first pic
Bleyseng
RTV is on the bolts the PO used to fill the air injection ports with, thats ok for now.

Order a vacuum hose kit as those in the pic aren't the right stuff....
MPS (the genade lookin thing) needs to be remounted under the battery tray. Lots of viberation isn't good for it.

Ok, after you get all that done, the idle is adjusted with the engine hot.
The best is to use a CO meter.
The other way is to adjust the rpms to say 1000.
Adjust the ECU so it back to the factory notch.
Adjust the rpms to 950
Adjust the ECU knob if its hunting one or two notches clockwise
Readjust the rpms
IF its hunting (rpms varies up and down) there is a vacuum leak somewhere, so you need to find it. install new injector seals, reseal the TB to plenum, check all the hoses. etc.
ThinAir
Make sure that you check your valve adjustment BEFORE you start digging into FI problems. It's not that you don't have FI issues, but you'll not get them sorted out successfully if the basics aren't in place. Besides, tight valves is a classic cause of an engine that idles fine when cold, but won't idle when warm. It's amazing how many times a simple valve adjustment has fixed what was thought to be an FI issue.
dralf
clap.gif
I thank you guys for all the input, I feel better already.
Yesterday when the engine died at the stop light, my first thought besides "Oh Shit" was pushing the car off the street and posting my problems.
I would never have ventured back into TEENER Territory with out your guys as my gardian angels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.