Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission - speedo connection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
installed new cable and new speedo. still doesn't work. the cable isn't turning. must be at the transmission end. does that right angle connection between the transmission and the cable go bad? is it available? also, it looks like it will be difficult to remove and replace. does anyone have any experience with this?
TheCabinetmaker
Speedo drive gear. available at all the usual places. Around $60 I think.
jfort
striking out at the usual places, at least with a quick search on line. is the speedo gear inside the transmission, or is this the right angle fitting? if the former, does that mean i have to take apart the transmission? damn, i hope not.
Dave_Darling
Disconnect the cable from the speedometer, and move the end so that it is visible from the driver's seat. Does the cable end turn while you are driving? It should spin around... If so, then the cable and angle drive are fine--replace the speedo or repair it.

If it does not spin, then check the angle drive. You can do this, if you are very careful, by putting the rear of the car in the air, starting the engine, and then putting the transmission in 1st gear (parking brake off) with the engine idling. Look to see if the angle drive moves. If not, then something in the angle drive or inside the transmission is hosed.

The angle drive should just come off; I think the large nut around it loosens and you can spin the drive off?? I forget. The drive shaft inside the rear cover is held in with one very short bolt. Oh, and if you need to get inside the transmission (unlikely), you can just take the rear cover off. That's an easy job; no shims to measure or anything like that.

Before you pull the angle drive, drain the transmission fluid. Or some of it will come out when you pull the drive.

Link to the angle drive in the Bird's catalog:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg3.htm#item18

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
Angle drive failure is quite common. You DO NOT have to drain the tranny to replace it, as no oil will come out. The assembly that is held in the tranny by the special 8mm bolt can stay in there. You need a 27mm wrench (or the pliers equivalent) to loosen the nut, then just spin it off. The Cap'n
jfort
ordered a new angle drive from Stoddards. I think I understand, now, how to replace it. You guys are great. I'll let you know how it turns out.
jfort
I know the suspense is killing you, so here's an update. I was worried how I would loosen the right angle gear since a socket would not fit over it, a wrench can't get in there, hell, I was thinking about channel locks or vise grips. Anyway, when I disconnected the cable, the angle drive fell apart. This allowed me to put a socket on it. I tightened-up the new one as best I could. IT ALL WORKS! Lesson learned: If you need a new angle drive anyway, rip it apart to get it off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.