Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concours judging for preservation class
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
22truckie
Ok. At the risk of offending I have a question. I plan on submitting my unrestored 914 in the preservation class for judging at the national Porsche Parade in Spokane WA next year ( live in the state). I was advised by a very helpful member of this site about how the judging goes. He stated in preservation class judging, if you have factory paint and there are some runs in it , from the factory, that I needed to wet sand those down or I would get deducted. I also noted to him that on my car there were areas where the person at the factory who applied the adhesive for the weather stripping was a little over jelious and got some brush strokes outside the weather stripping. He also stated those would probably need to be removed to prevent point deduction. He then stated he was a concours judge for 914's. Now I have entered major concours shows in preservation classes and placed and never heard anything along those lines. I guess my question is this : If you are not judging on how the car was made exactly from the factory with no alterations or modifications at all, including, and especially, factory imperfections. Then what exactly are you preserving? How the car was made at the factory or how you wish the car looked from the factory. I know I am a new member but I am a long term unrestored, untouched addict who works hard at having people understand how important these treasures really are. Hope this spurs some good posts. Again no offense was ment by this post. I very much appreciate the help the judge was trying to give me
Cuda911
Interesting questions. I find it very hard to believe that you need to "fix" anything that is exactly as it came from the factory.

Maybe the judge might think that the errors (paint run, glue excess) came during a restoration?

Just for fun, I took a concours judging class a couple years ago, and I sure never heard anything like what you were told.

Anyway, Tom T. will certainly be able to answer this.
mepstein
He was advising you to over restore the car. Don't do it. Once you do, your cars history is gone. It's a beginner mistake. He just doesn't has any experience judging at a higher level than local events so he doesn't know any better.
Tom_T
Hi again 22truckie,

My apologies if I was unclear &/or misstated some things in my other prior response to you on this matter. And no offense is taken in you're asking on here, because you can get the opinions of more than one judge (past or current), since there will be a range, & possibly some more/longer experienced than I (see mine at the end below). It shows that you are seriously trying to prepare yourself & your 914 for PCA CdE competition.

What folks need to also be aware of, is that the PCA rules are different now, than they were 30+ years ago when "Originality" was more strictly judged (although I believe not on your questioned items above) - & PCA is also quite different from the other car clubs' concours rules, judging, etc.

If you're going to enter a Porsche in a PCA event - whether Parade, Zone or Regional (local), then you need to know the rules & how each level is judged - which will probably vary somewhat between the levels, as well as between individual judges, & between each event of each type.

Because of the large number of members & competing cars in our Zone 8 area of Central & Southern California, Southern Nevada & Arizona, as well as due to a longstanding & well organized Concours program - Zone 8's rules, program offerings, etc. are more stringent as some of the other Zones/Regions (except maybe Zone 1 & a few others). Ergo, our rules & procedures are perhaps a bit closer to those at Parade, but still not exactly the same (e.g: our judging the undercarriage of our Full Concours Division cars, similar to at Parade).

As to your specific questions in your OP, to clarify - well .... no .... I believe that I advised in Unrestored or Preservation Division (or meant to do so), that:

1.) The excess door seal adhesive - whether factory or not - would be a deduction in our Zone 8 Concours (assuming that the interior judge saw it - we don't always see everything in only 5 mins. allotted time for us to judge), & probably at Parade too (see #4 below).

2.) I said that the paint runs on the secondary surfaces like the undersides of doors or jambs were not an issue in Zone 8's Unrestored, & probably would not be at Parade, but again advised you to check (again see #4).

3.) I said that an obvious & noticeable run - even in factory paint - would probably be a deduction in our Zone 8 Unrestored - & that is especially because we allow up to 25% to be not original, & a good paint panel touch-up may not be easily recognizable, so a run could be assumed to be factory or touch-up.

> Note that this should not include things like the original slight "eggshell" finish of the 914 & some early-356, etc. factory paint jobs - although some more anal judges will deduct for even that (& other otherwise non-issues).

By the same token, poor panel or door fitment & gaps are also deductible items - whether "from the factory or not" - as well as any dings in the panels would be, because an owner can use PDR on the back to bring them out &/or touched up.

From what the Parade judges & entrants/winners whom I know personally have told me, these could likewise get deductions at Parade. Two of those were the most recent Monterey Parade Peter Porsche award winner, & one of our top concours Judging/Prep instructors (see about BeeVee on pg. 70 in the Aug. 2015 Panorama).

Remember that - in either local Zone/Region or Parade the individual events - judges, etc. can vary from one to another.

4.) I have not judged at Parade, but know a few others who have done so, as well as entrants at Parade & they have told me some of what goes on) - so I advised you to get the official final 2017 version of the PCR Parade rules just before the event (i.e.: about April/May 2017 for the Seattle 2017 so you get the latest changes for then), but you can get the 2016 rules for advance reference & prep now (see below).

That said, we do also give allowance for issues which would be very expensive for an owner to repair/resolve, & won't deduct for say a several $1000 repair. It is always up to the owner to decide for themselves what to keep, & what to change/resolve or keep as is.

Yes, you can elect not to clean off the adhesive & anything else which a judge or detailer, concours instructor or fellow competitor advises may be an issue, & hope that it isn't deducted for any reason, but because it doesn't at a particular event, doesn't mean that it may not be at another.

If you elect to keep some based on your own principals, then I suggest that you not say anything up front about them - other than to explain the originality of your 914 (911, 912, etc.) - & if you get dinged on one or more, then you can try to politely make a case with the individual judge on why you retained it, & they may not deduct for it - but accept their decision gracefully.

They/we are all volunteers & aren't out to "get" anyone as judges - quite the contrary, we're really mostly there to help with suggestions & improvement of the preparations on your P-cars. As you might guess from my lengthy & perhaps TMI answers, often my fellow judges have to pull me away to go on to the next car, when I'm answering a competitor's questions, pointing out ways to improve, etc.! biggrin.gif

Along those lines - I strongly recommend that you not wait until the last minute & just enter your 914 at next year's Parade. Instead, start entering your 914 now - 2016 & into 2017 - in all of the PNW local PCA Zone & Regional events which you possibly can, & explain to the judges that you want their help in getting it ready for 2017 Parade. If they do their Concours like ours in Zone 8, then you will get their judging sheets at the end of each event, which you can then use as a road map for improving preparation each time over the next 12+/- months (you may have to ask for them).

You should also definitely read all of the PCA documentation on Concours judging & preparation at all levels - Parade, Zone 6 & its Regions, as well as some of the more generally applicable preparation & judging info at our Zone 8 site at the link below:

http://www.zone8.org/events/format/concours.php

Note that these Zone 8 docs are not the ones applicable to your Zone 6 specifically, nor directly to Parade. However, other Zones around the US & Canada do/have used some of these documents for their own Concours events (I've personally seen them printed out & on the table at a Peachtree Region Concours in GA in 2010).

You should also see if there are any PCA specific Concours Judging &/or Concours Preparation courses offered in your area in the next year, to help you get up to speed on how things work at Zone 6 & at Parade. Our Zone 8 did a Parade Concours Preparation specific class before the Monterey Parade a couple of years back (in lieu of the Zone class that year), so you could lobby your Zone 6 to offer one too, as the host Zone & PNW as the host Region.

Even if your 914 isn't ready to put on the show grounds yet - go out the the local PCA Concours in your area now, which you can make, & tell them your plans & ask to follow around the judging team for Unrestored, until you can get your 914 out there to get picked over by a range of different judges. Do this at least once as only an observer so you can see & they can explain what they look for, how & why - & if they know you're shooting for the Parade CdE, then they can hopefully also advise you where it will be different there. But beware! - you may just also get roped into volunteering as a runner, timer or judge (after some training) in the process!

You'll have to contact someone at Zone 6 &/or at your "home" Region (PNW?) about getting their Concours rules, Judging & Concours Prep classes, etc. - because I don't see a specific link to that info. at their link below:

http://zone6-pca.org/

The latest Parade Competition Rules (PCR) for Concours from the 2016 Jay Peak Parade can be found here:

https://www.pca.org/resource/2016-parade-co...ion-rules-final

Lastly for you & Mark Epstein's benefit - as I said above & previously - NO I am NOT a Parade judge, & in fact have never competed in a Parade CdE (yet!).

However - & not to brag, but just give you a better understanding of what experience my recommendations come from - I have been judging 1-5+ Concours of our 13-15 yearly in Zone 8 since 2010, have taken our Judging Classes every yer or two since then as required by our Zone 8 rules, & have been ranked as a Senior Judge since 2014 (our 2nd highest level).

I would have already been at our highest Master Judge level in 2015 by our point count & other rules, IF & only if I had my 914 or other car to enter in at least one Concours every 2 years - but alas, the 914 resto is still going slowly, as is our search for a 2008-13 Cayenne S to tow our vintage Avion trailer to shows/rallies (even one simple Wash & Shine Div. entry would qualify me as Master). However, I had helped my uncle prep his `58 'Vette for the big Corvette Club shows back in the 1960s, & have helped others to prep their cars over the years more recently, have taken our PCA Concours Prep classes - so I certainly know how to do it.

So I have the judging experience at "near the top level" for our zone, but am far from the longest standing, most experienced & perhaps not even close to even a great judge - let alone the best! But I have tried to help you understand PCA Concours from what I've learned over that time - both first hand & from others.

However, it will be best for you to continue to seek others on here - & especially those near to you who can come over & see your 914 in person - who have competed in past Parade CdEs to further advise you on the finer points - especially as your prep comes along over the coming months.

Hopefully the above is helpful to you on your quest Sir Knight, just beware the Knights of Nee, The Black Night, Swallow Riddles, Virgin Maidens, & other perils on the way to the Holy Grail! biggrin.gif first.gif

If I can kick-start my own "ole gal" 73 914-2.0's resto, then I may just make it to the Seattle Parade in 2017, albeit in the Restored Division.

I hope that some other past Parade judges &/or competitors will chime in here too, in order to both correct anything I have wrong above, &/or to add to it for your benefit.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Okay 22truckie,

FYI & that of others reading, I've excerpted the 2016 Parade Concours PCR for "Preservation Group" below, but make sure to download that whole document, in case I missed anything, & to get their other relevant forms, charts, Protest info./rules, etc. - then do the same thing next year for the 2017 Final Rules -& you can get an early heads-up on the new coming proposed rule changes early in 2017 or late 2016 (I think date-wise) - but you'll have to do a search on the PCA web site to get to it, as I did to get the link in my other post above with the link to the 2016 rules.

One difference between our Zone 8 rules & judging procedures, & those at Parade of which I was reminded in doing this excerpt - is that our judges are each assigned a separate area to judge on their own without conferring with the other judges (except to ask the team head judge a question, & we do change areas from show to show for variety).

Whereas, the Parade Judges do so as a team on each area & are asked to confer - so you've got more eyes on your car in all areas.

Note that our Zone 8 doesn't judge undercarriage (or "Chassis" below) for the Unrestored Division, but does do so for our Full Concours Division, as does Parade in the full set of rules (we both split it for half of the chassis/undercarriage - with & without engine to each judge).

While there are no direct answers to your OP questions per se in the material below, this will get you started - plus on the score sheets & originality documentation sheets & collection docs from the full version's appendix. You'll really just have to get with an experienced Parade judge on Preservation Group to the in's & out's of their judging guidelines/etc. docs., training & interpretation, etc. of same.

My notations at beginning, end & one place inside the excerpts below are identified by italics, plus square brackets [] for the inner one.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
////////

Excerpted from:
2016 PORSCHE CLUB OF AMERICA COMPETITION RULES

C-2.2. Preservation Group
The grouping “preservation” implies that the entered
Porsche has been maintained in its original condition,
with evidence that the automobile has been reasonably
used (driven) and not simply stored. The Preservation
Group criteria includes overall presentation, originality
and utilization. It implies that the entered Porsche has
most, if not all, of its original parts and surfaces (at least
75% original factory applied top-side exterior paint, at
least 75% original upholstery and at least 75% original
carpet). Should the automobile show with less than 75%,
(more likely less than 60%), the judge may ask the entrant
for further explanation and/or more information. The
engine and transaxle must be original with no visible
upgrades. Non-standard reproduction parts are subject
to demerits (if the judge can tell the part is a reproduction,
by definition, it is non-standard).

Reference Judging Standards C-5.1.(b/b.1) for further
class information.

Classes for Preservation Group

All entrants in this group are designated “Full.” All classes
are identified with the suffix “F” following each class
number. Classes are created from the following classifications,
which include Limited Production models where
applicable.

PS01F 356
PS02F 914/4 & 914/6
PS03F 911/912 (1965-1973)
PS04F 911/912 (1974-1989; 911/912)
PS05F 911 (1989-1998; 964/993)
PS08F 924, 944, 968, 928 (1977-1995)

Note: classes are for automobiles regardless of mileage;
judging will adjust for mileage.

All automobiles entered in the Preservation Group will
compete using a complete six-component inspection and
will be eligible for the “PCA Preservation” group award.
The Kardex (build data sheet), Certificate of Authenticity
or original Monroney Label (window sticker) for automobiles
in the Preservation Group is required and will be
examined by the judges. See Appendix III for instructions
for obtaining the build data for your Porsche and samples
of acceptable versions of the various documents. Other
documents may be used as proof of authenticity if, in the
opinion of the judges, such documentation substantiates
the automobile’s authenticity. Automobiles without such
documentation can be shown but will not be judged. It is
recommended that any documented history of the automobile
that the owner might have, including date of
acquisition, should be available in case any questions that
may arise during judging.

C-5. JUDGING
All entrants will present their car completely closed. After
completion of and an initional inspection of the exterior,
the Chief Judge (exterior judge) will request that the
entrant fully open all areas , including but not limited to
doors, engine cover and the storage compartment.
For all groups, no demerits shall be given for properly
applied factory recall modifications (the burden of proof
of proper application is upon the entrant), or for removal
of transportation (e.g. factory to distributor/dealer) protection.
Non-original equipment safety items added to
the automobile (e.g. aftermarket seat belts, fire extinguisher)
shall not be judged.

(b) Preservation Group-Emphasis is on preservation of
the automobile, it is to be given for maintained in the
original condition. Judging of automobiles in this
group will take into account the overall "utilization"
of the Porsche as intended by the Porsche factory.
Overall "utilization” will consider age of the car and
total millage within each class. Ownership and
preservation of an automobile with reasonable
mileage shall be considered superior to an automobile
simply “stored” to avoid usual wear encountered
from normal use. Proof of authenticity such as
Kardex (build data sheet), Certificate of Authenticity
or original Monroney Label (window sticker) is
required for the automobile to be judged and will be
examined by the judges. Other documentation may
be used as proof of authenticity if, in the opinion of
the judges, such documentation substantiates the
automobile’s authenticity. In the case of two automobiles
being equal in the opinion of the judges, length
of ownership will be considered. The judges rating
for the chassis (if judging is requested) will not be
altered due to the presence of fresh road dirt or signs
of recent use.

C-5.1.1. Judges. Each automobile will be inspected by a
team of judges, approved by the PCR Committee. Judges,
including the Head Judge, will have had experience on a
national or multi-regional level, or the equivalent, as a
judge and/or entrant.

C-5.1.2. Inspection of Automobiles

(b) Preservation Group - The entrant may volunteer to
remove caps, lids, covers for inspection by the judges,
provided no tools are required unless needed to gain
specific access to the spare tire or engine compartment.
(The judge may not request such items be
removed, nor remove any item from the automobile.)
For Preservation Group, the following six components
may be judged:
1. Kardex/ Certificate of Authenticity (COA), utilization
and accompanying documentation (data
plate, paint plate. ect,).
2. Exterior
3. Interior
4. Engine
5. Storage
6. Chassis

C-5.2. Judging Procedures
The judging procedures are to be described on information
sheets provided to Concours entrants at on site
Parade check-in.

C-5.2.1. Removal of Caps/Covers/Lids

C-5.2.1.2. Preservation Group. The entrant may volunteer
to remove caps, lids, and covers for inspection by the
judges, provided no tools are required. (The judge may
not request such items be removed, nor remove any item
from the automobile.)

C-5.2.2. Judging Sequence

C-5.2.2.2. Preservation Group. The Preservation Group
judging process will be primarily a “hands-off” process
employing a three or five (based on availability of qualified
judges) person team per division, judging each automobile
as a focused team, with all judges examining each
judging component of each automobile. The same team
will judge all automobiles in a given division except where
divisions are split or when precluded by time limits.

Example: all judges will, as a team, examine the exterior
fit, finish, trim, etc., with discussion as necessary. Then, as
a team, they will examine the interior, then the engine,
etc., discussing each particular component of the automobile
with other judges as necessary during the examination.

The judging time will vary, with a minimum and a maximum
time period (based on number of entrants), to
judge each automobile. Interaction with the owner (initiated
by and terminated by the Team Chief Judge) and
examination of the automobile’s documentation are integral
parts of the Preservation Group judging process. The
time taken for interaction with the owner and for examining
the documentation is not to be considered part of
the judging time.

C-5.2.2.3. Judging Procedure for Split Classes. When more
than one team of judges will be required, due to the large
number of entries in a given class, the following procedure
will be implemented. The class shall be split
amongst the different judging teams. The “best” entries
from each portion of the split will be re-judged by a new
team of judges that may be composed of judges from each
of the previous teams and/or new judges. (Only the second
set of scoring sheets will be given to the re-judged
entrants.) The number of “best” entries from each portion
of the split class should be equal to half the number
of trophies to be distributed (See G-11.1., Class Awards
(e.g., if the total number of entries in the class is 14, six
trophies will be awarded; therefore, three entries from
each portion of the split class will be re-judged).

C-5.2.3. Last Minute Preparations. The preparations to be
allowed on the display site must be determined and rules
must be formulated for inclusion in the Parade supplementary
regulations. The supplementary regulations
shall also include instructions regarding the removal of
cleaning paraphernalia and spare parts from the display
area, including any related time limitations and the identification
of any storage area, if provided, for contestants
who do not have a safe place to store such items.

C-6. SCORING

C-6.1. Forms

Entrants are responsible for bringing the concours forms
furnished at the on site Parade check-in to the event. The
forms will include a display card, a Master Score Sheet,
and detailed score sheets. An announcer’s card may also
be provided. Entrants should complete all applicable portions
of the forms before judging begins. Official score
sheets, or reasonable copies there of, shall be returned to
each entrant. Samples of the score sheets that must be
used are in Appendix IV.

C-6.2. Tied Scores
[Note that Preparation Group is not identified]
(Restoration Group/Preparation
Group)
Tied scores will be broken by comparing the tied automobile’s
scores for each of the following areas:
(1) Highest of raw exterior score
(2) Highest of raw interior score
(3) Highest of raw engine score
(4) Highest of raw storage score
(5) Highest of raw chassis front score
(full Concours only)
(6) Highest of raw chassis rear score
(full Concours only)
Scores for each of the judging areas will be compared in
the order listed above. The first automobile having the
highest score on the first judging area at which the scores
differ will be awarded the higher position. If a tie still
remains, duplicate awards will given.

C-6.3. Posting of Scores

Concours scores shall be posted at the event site within
one hour after all properly completed score sheets for
each class has been received by Scoring. Copies of official
score sheets shall be returned only to the entrant at time
of posting. The results of the judging shall not be disclosed
by the organizers and/or judges to any other competitor.
The Group Award judging will begin after all class competition
scores are posted, copies of each entrant’s score
sheets have been returned and after completion of the
protest period. (See G-9.4. “Protests.”)

//// end of Excerpts
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2016, 03:48 AM) *

He was advising you to over restore the car. Don't do it. Once you do, your cars history is gone. It's a beginner mistake. He just doesn't has any experience judging at a higher level than local events so he doesn't know any better.

Mark, please read my posts above, as I wasn't advising an over restoration.

We DO in fact judge in Zone 8 on Preparation, & too much grease or adhesive over-run/over-spray left on a car - even when it's direct from the factory - are in fact deductible items in our scoring.

Just ask SoCal Andy or anyone else on here who has competed in our Zone 8 Concours.

Andy forced me to learn our rules even more so last year, with his questions, & due to his unfortunate gas station accident mishap on the way to the San Diego Concours - which we were able to get the event's Head Judge to waive judging that damage for that show - similar to a Parade rule for same (we have no such rule specifically on that in Zone 8, other than Head Judge's discretion).

Sometimes some of the judges IMHO are too picky on certain items on which they ding - both very experienced through to novice, but that's the way it goes with a volunteer workforce with differing opinions!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 26 2016, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2016, 03:48 AM) *

Mark, please read my posts above, as I wasn't advising an over restoration.

We DO in fact judge in Zone 8 on Preparation, & too much grease or adhesive over-run/over-spray left on a car - even when it's direct from the factory - are in fact deductible items in our scoring.

Just ask SoCal Andy or anyone else on here who has competed in our Zone 8 Concours.

Andy forced me to learn our rules even more so last year, with his questions, & due to his unfortunate gas station accident mishap on the way to the San Diego Concours - which we were able to get the event's Head Judge to waive judging that damage for that show - similar to a Parade rule for same (we have no such rule specifically on that in Zone 8, other than Head Judge's discretion).

Sometimes some of the judges IMHO are too picky on certain items on which they ding - both very experienced through to novice, but that's the way it goes with a volunteer workforce with differing opinions!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Ask scotty b to color sand a run on a 356 speedster where the factory got it wrong. Tell him it's a zone 8 thing. I'm sure he'll understand. Cheers beerchug.gif Mark
22truckie
Tom. First off, I hope you come up to Spokane next year as I would love to meet you and talk. Congrats on your achievements on judging. Trust me when I say that the far majority of judges are very nice people who are doing their job and are very respectful and appreciative of what they are looking at. A little about myself ( also not intending to brag). I have entered 4 national high end concours and have placed in all 4 with my last one being a first in class, that car is being invited to Amelia Island Concours next year. It is absolute unrestored/ factory original in every way and a very rare car. I have also achieved a Bloomington Gold Award. My question is still the same ( it is not geared tward you as you are just going by the guidelines given to you). In these top venues where supream attention is given tward originality, factory blemishes are embraced and expected to be there. Preservation is what the name states : to preserve what was originally made. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because the car is in a concours does not change this fact. Look at Pebble Beach and Amelia Island. Both have preservation classes. They would never dream of deducting points for such. In fact they would rather see patina, some chips and a little worn through paint caused by the drivers arm than to touch that up. They would actually deduct points for such an act. They are the top two concours shows around so they must be doing something right. Same with Bloomington Gold. I have also judged at concours shows in preservation classes and as mentioned in another post, wrote the authenticity manual for Studibaker Avanti's (400 page full color photos). I guess what I am saying is that my 914 will be a true unrestored survivor with every finish left as time and the factory made it. The car will be extremely detailed by way of cleaning only it has lasted this long, my feeling is I need to respect that. I would LOVE to talk to the head of concours judging for the national Parade and see if I can respectfully change a few of these areas. Again Tom, thank you so very much for your time and helpful post and links. Look forward to meeting you next year!!
alfagta
Along the lines of this discussion could any current or past regional/Parade judges comment on presence or absence of cosmoline on the underside and suspension components when it comes to demerits?
I'm wondering whether most entrants clean it and leave it or try to remove it.
Thanks, Bill
Scott S
I just stumbled on this thread - I find it concerning.

Tom,
I agree wholeheartedly with 22Truckie. I may have missed it, but if PCA is making deductions on a truly original car, what is the rational behind it?

If PCA has decided to generalize the judging, it would really be disappointing to me. Anyone can restore/over restore a car to be perfect. To me, part of the fun of the preservation class is to see the differences/anomalies that happened in the manufacturing process on any given day. As I recall, someone on "world" has a car where a wrench was left behind by the factory and actually painted with the car. So awesome - and equally such a tragedy to change it to "perfect" to avoid a deduction.

I have an national concours winning E-type - the car has just 15k miles and is 100 percent original down to the tires and brake pads. JCNA used the car for a judge training event at our place this past spring for close to 9 hours. At the end of the day they came away with a 1" thick binder on just this specific year and model. While obviously the judges would not carry around such a thing at an event, as I recall, they may have access to some sort of data base electronically. From my experience, the Jag groups don't have half of the passion that the Porsche groups have. In fact, I would say that the Jag groups are in danger of fading away, as there is very little new blood being brought in. This makes me even more confused on why Porsche would set an easier/broader standard, being that they still have the passion behind the brand.

The way this thread reads, it appears you could lose a PCA zone or parade event, but win at Pebble or Amelia. That doesn't make sense.
smg914
Scott S Quote: The way this thread reads, it appears you could lose a PCA zone or parade event, but win at Pebble or Amelia. That doesn't make sense.

That is a fact. Amelia Island, Hilton Head and most likely Pebble Beach are all Beauty Contests. Also, your dialog with the judges at these events, is as important as the Q & A section of the Miss America Pagent.

My Sahara Beige 914 won Best in Class (Preservation Class 1954-1974) at Hilton Head last year but based on the PCR's, it wouldn't have a chance at Parade.
Scott S
Hi Steve -
I have drooled over your car for years. What a shame (sham?) that your original car is deemed not original enough due to what appears to be a group that just wants to keep things easy. I understand the dialog requirement. Hopefully PCA would be quick to make amends if their judging is proven to be in error because of using an overly simplified template approach.

Always fun to see pics of your car.
mepstein
QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 13 2016, 07:32 PM) *

Scott S Quote: The way this thread reads, it appears you could lose a PCA zone or parade event, but win at Pebble or Amelia. That doesn't make sense.

That is a fact. Amelia Island, Hilton Head and most likely Pebble Beach are all Beauty Contests. Also, your dialog with the judges at these events, is as important as the Q & A section of the Miss America Pagent.

My Sahara Beige 914 won Best in Class (Preservation Class 1954-1974) at Hilton Head last year but based on the PCR's, it wouldn't have a chance at Parade.

Steve - do you plan to make improvements to the car as Tom T suggests so it will be better received at Parade or the zone 8 crowd.
smg914
Thanks Scott!

Mark,

Probably not. My goal with the Sahara Beige car is to continue to preserve it as is and more then likely participate in a few more beauty contests along the way.

The M471 is even more fun because it gets invited to be displayed. I never have to worry about judges but it gets seen and I get to talk about it.
oakpark
THe best way to find out what will happen on the Parade level is ask people who actually do the judging. My suggestion is to send your questions on how Preservation is judged to Ed Mayo. I've had my car judged by him in two parades (touring class, not preservation) but Ed is very approachable and was very patient in explaining how the judging process works.
JFJ914
QUOTE(22truckie @ Jul 26 2016, 01:33 AM) *

Ok. At the risk of offending I have a question. I plan on submitting my unrestored 914 in the preservation class for judging at the national Porsche Parade in Spokane WA next year ( live in the state). I was advised by a very helpful member of this site about how the judging goes. He stated in preservation class judging, if you have factory paint and there are some runs in it , from the factory, that I needed to wet sand those down or I would get deducted. I also noted to him that on my car there were areas where the person at the factory who applied the adhesive for the weather stripping was a little over jelious and got some brush strokes outside the weather stripping. He also stated those would probably need to be removed to prevent point deduction. He then stated he was a concours judge for 914's. Now I have entered major concours shows in preservation classes and placed and never heard anything along those lines. I guess my question is this : If you are not judging on how the car was made exactly from the factory with no alterations or modifications at all, including, and especially, factory imperfections. Then what exactly are you preserving? How the car was made at the factory or how you wish the car looked from the factory. I know I am a new member but I am a long term unrestored, untouched addict who works hard at having people understand how important these treasures really are. Hope this spurs some good posts. Again no offense was ment by this post. I very much appreciate the help the judge was trying to give me

I did ask a Parade judge about this, and he said that these defects should have been fixed by the selling dealer.
Cracker
I am about as far removed from your position as possible - not a big fan of stock cars. However (fwiw), I'd leave it alone if I were you. Who cares about concours scores anyway (over having your car as it was originally delivered)? In your corner of the hobby world - its only original once! How it left the factory rules the day - no other changes! Judges can be a strange breed...contrary to what they think, they don't know everything.

Tony
Ferg
Judges are not perfect, I think I would document other known original paint cars with the same conditions. Remember to engage yourself with them during the judging, and in this case, have proof of your claim.

mepstein
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Sep 14 2016, 11:57 AM) *

I did ask a Parade judge about this, and he said that these defects should have been fixed by the selling dealer.

You mean the teenage kid who preps the cars? Because that's who probably did it at the VW dealer.
JFJ914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 14 2016, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Sep 14 2016, 11:57 AM) *

You mean the teenage kid who preps the cars? Because that's who probably did it at the VW dealer.

True, didn't say I agreed with him! But what he really said is that's it beauty contest and all judges have there own opinions. If you want to play at Parade, you'll play by their rules.
JeffBowlsby
Concours. Beauty contests. Who needs' em? Beauty is subjective and cannot be judged. I have seen stunning cars 'lose' to mediocre cars because of political connections of their owners in these events. And technical goofs like backpad adhesive being mistaken for rust because the judge was not competent regarding 914s. Gives me a distaste for the whole concept of these events.

Cleanliness and technical things can be judged but those are merely rational evaluations which is what these events are really about. These events become so subjective and often times the car owners and participants know more and care more about their car than the judges do. Then there is the winners/losers issue - someone always 'wins' and someone 'loses'...anyone who cares enough to display their car 'wins' in my book - they are putting it all out there - to share what is important to them, with others.

I wish all events like these were simply for display purposes only, for everyones enjoyment. No judging, no awards - they take the fun out of the event.
tod914
Every one of the cars that I've owned over the years, had glue residue and paint runs. Paint runs were mainly in the front and rear trunks, and the under side of the doors. I wouldn't even consider wet sanding it smooth. Never came up as an issue in zone 1. What did come up, like Tom and others mentioned were untouched up chips/scratches and dings. If they were touched up, then no deduction. A couple tenths of a point is the difference between winning and losing.
I did have glue residue pointed out on some of the cars at events. For the following show, I addressed that. Being I pulled a fair amount of the seals to prep the cars anyway, cleaning that up wasn't a big deal. Nor did I feel it was detrimental to the car's originality. The products I used, took it off anyway. Getting a coat of wax under where they lie for protection was more important to me.
The front trunk gutter seal I would always pull off and clean up. Each time you wash the car, water will get trapped in there. I made it a point to pull the front trunk seal, and rear trunk seals off after a wash so they could be properly dried, and prevent future rust. Make sure the seals are completely dry before you put them back in.
Glue residue, up to you. But think about water sitting in the gutters when you wash it. Factory paint runs leave.
By all means enter your car. You can use the gigs as a check list for the next event. If you feel something is going to diminish the cars originality, then don't do it irregardless of who is suggesting it to you.
Like Tom said, you can always bring that matter up with the panel to discuss it and right the wrong wink.gif

Good luck!
CVLCPorsche
Small world, I sold the OP the car he is prepping for Parade. Great car and RARE color! I just stumbled across this thread and figured I would add my experience.

I have never shown a 914 at Parade but have shown my 88 3.2 Carrera and 964 in Parade Preservation class. I recently won Best in Class (964/993) at the Rennworks Reunion 2016 in Monterrey which utilized Zone 8 Concours Rules. I have also shown and judged in my local regions. Here are my key takeaways:

-Rules- READ the rules over and over, know them inside and out. Sadly I have seen amazing cars lose because they didn't know the rules, the expectation or the classing. Winning is a good portion knowing how the system works and how to work within it.

-First Impressions is HUGE- The Judges for your class will walk all the entrants and usually decide on a very preliminary basis the first couple winners. You will find at most of these shows that this will be obvious to you as well. If there are 5 914's they will all be nice cars but 1 or 2 will literally POP from 50 feet away. Trust me, the judges need to streamline the process and while they won't admit it, they know which cars are the likely winner before official judging starts.They may alter their 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 spots, but keep this in mind. When you get to Parade Prep be there 2 days ahead and scope out your competition. Figure out how to make your car stand out before hand. Also talk very nicely to everyone who comes by during Prep, often the judges are walking the garage and seeing the cars early. You never know when your cars fun "backstory" plays into a Judges initial impression...

-Preparation and Cleanliness are EVERYTHING- Winning cars are WAY cleaner than the day they were delivered. In Preservation its full judging only (exterior, interior, storage and chassis). The chassis judging is a hands off style of judging (as opposed to Touring classes where judges are physically touching underneath the car looking for dirt, grease, etc. So it needs to look immaculate in EVERY nook and cranny. A lot of it is BS, remember you are playing the game. Little stuff is really ridiculous like Judges putting their finger in latches and finding grease. Of course it should have grease... Not in Concours! Clean, Clean, Clean is the mantra. As you prep this year disassemble every item as you service it and take the time to clean in places you can't get clean otherwise. If you think it could be cleaner, it can...

-Wear/Tear/Patina- In Preservation in theory you are not deducted for evidence of use as long as you have attempted to attend to it. So for example rock chips should be touched up as best as possible, but a car showing evidence of use is expected. I happen to know your car so other items should be attended to such as Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) as you can remove some door dings and not touch the original paint. The key with these items is as best as possible try to minimize their visual impact without repairing/restoring as that defeats the purpose. Its a fine line, ultimately its your car so attend to it as you see fit.

-Personality- Be prepared to tell a great story about your car when you meet the judges. They will give you a minute to tell them about your car, use is wisely and make it memorable. When they are judging your car, be quiet (observe closely for the future!) but don't stand over them. Make yourself available if they have any questions and use friendly body language. Basically be likable! Thank them when they finish! As a Judge its VERY distracting when your have an argumentative owner who is looming over you with crossed arms...

-Politics- Never forget PCA like any other organization suffers from the inevitable Politics, favoritism, etc. etc. The vast majority of the people are GREAT and they are volunteers but don't ever forget that sometimes you can do your best and not win and it isn't always just about the cars or the rules... Keep it in perspective, this is truly a first World problem!

-Judges- Never forget they are human and volunteers. If you are lucky you will get some people who are VERY 914 knowledgable. But its also possible you get a Judge or 2 who shockingly doesn't know much. This is quite common on less common models like 914's. You might get a Judge who knows 996 and 997's very well but somehow gets recruited to Judge 914's. Hence make yourself available and become a subject matter expert on your car. Oftentimes you can head off a potential issue just by providing a little background.

Second Set of Eyes- Ideally before you leave for Spokane recruit some local Judges to pre-judge your car. They will show you areas that could be improved. Do the same thing the day before the event at Prep. Even less experienced people will sometimes see things we don't. I lost points on a dirty spot on a battery that was OBVIOUS but I had looked at it so many times I simply didn't see it!

Have Fun and Don't Take it Personal- If its not fun, don't do it! Also don't let it affect how you feel about your car. You have an amazing car regardless of how it fares!

Nathan
Cracker
Nathan - Very nicely written and honest advice - anyone interested in this-side of the hobby should listen...none of which sounds like fun to me. Different strokes for...

You seem to know exactly how to win, what buttons to push, and stories to tell. I particularly like the "Also talk very nicely to everyone who comes by during Prep"; like as in odd/funny/sad. Isn't that how you should be naturally - cynical, I know on my part but...

There is a purity to racing - first one across the line wins. Much easier removing the human elements (mostly that is)!

Again, a well written blueprint to winning "car" shows...

Tony
alfagta
Nathan, I'm in Tacoma and was wondering about how judges look at factory cosmoline on the underside of cars in preservation class. Do you think it's neutral or a deficit worth going through the effort to clean it off? Thanks, Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.