Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
The windshield on my car needs replacing before I invest in a new one I have a question regarding installation.

The current windshield has a rubber seal around instead of the chrome trim. Can anyone tell me if the install procedure is the same as for the chrome trim and can I reuse the rubber?

The car is a 76 are the windshields the same for all models?

Thanks
IPB Image
green914
The windshield is the same cut on all the 914 models. I believe the rubber seal is an after-market part, if you want to go back to the chrome trim the rubber seal is not used.
Tom_T
Hi David,

All MY 70-76 914 4 & 6 used the same windshield shape, but the OEM makers varied between Sigla, Sekurit & apparently now Pilkington, as well as aftermarket suppliers like the latter & PPG back in the day, & the Chinese made ones now.

However, some of the aftermarket glass varied from having a flatter top, rather than the original curved back top. Look at the ProSource topic on their getting new made Sekurit windshields for a good pic of the difference.

Sekurit is apparently making them again, so you should be able to get one from them in Sweden, or from the Porsche dealer near you.

They also all originally had the polished aluminum trim (3 large pieces & 3 connectors-2 "L" & 1 straight) with the setting blocks & sealant under it, but in recent years some have changed to the rubber seals for the black trim look (not my tastes, but you may like it).

I would think that the rubber seal may stretch too much in removal to have it fit correctly & tight upon reinstall, &/or it may have gotten brittle over time. Mark W./Mikey914 on here & at 914Rubber still makes them, so you can PM or email hm to see what he thinks.

If it were me for the cost of the replacement windshield + installation, I'd just get a new rubber seal from him anyway.

However, for my own 914 resto I'll get new aluminum trim (or stainless steel?) & new set of setting blocks/etc. parts because I prefer the brightwork on our cars - especially with the chrome bumpers on my early 73 2.0. That trim kit is also available in Europe from various sources, if you prefer the original look.

One note on the tinted windshields - if yours came that way originally, is that the factory tinted windshields did not have the dark green tint band at the top, but when the insurance replaced mine with a PPG after a rock strike in 1980-ish, it had the dark band, which I found helpful in our bright & hot SoCal sun. However, I will replace it with a proper OE no-band tinted one in my resto.

BTW - the windshield in your pic above doesn't look like it needs replacement, but I cannot see the details of what flaws or cracks & "spiders" that you can see in person. But if it is okay, then you can take your time on the replacement to find & have in hand all the parts you'll need for it.

I'd also recco having a glass pro replace it for you, just for the fact that - if they break it or mess up the install, etc. - then they have to replace it & re-do it - vs. at your cost if you mess up! It's probable a $300 - $600+ job, depending on if you go with rubber or metal trim, & Chinese or OEM glass - so not a cheap mistake "on your own ticket" (you can convert to Euro or Kroner or whatever).

I hope this helps.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
All the windshields are pretty much the same. Check availability at your local sources. The install with rubber trim is easy and if your trim is in good shape it can be reused. If it is starting to crack, then have the glass shop replace it. A good glass guy will be reasonably priced and make it look great.
Darren C
Can anyone tell me if the install procedure is the same as for the chrome trim?

With the aftermarket rubber seal the screen will most probably have been bonded in using a modern sealant. This will need to be cut out with a cheese wire tool.
The chrome trim is clipped in using a series of “use once” plastic clips. Chances are these clips have been removed by whoever fitted the rubber seal. If you would like to go back to a chrome surround its always best practice to get a new set of clips anyway.

and can I reuse the rubber?

Cutting out the bonding agent/sealant risks damaging the rubber, but it’s a low cost item so you’d be wise to get a new one if you want to stay with the aftermarket look, especially as with such an expensive job, it would be a shame to spoil it by using an old re-used cheap rubber seal.

Yes.
Porsche Centre are by far the best (and I found) the cheapest for a new GENUINE windshield, plus it fits and has Porsche optical quality.

Good luck

Check out my Build-off thread for picture/information on windshield replacement.
worn
QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 26 2016, 07:49 AM) *

Yes.
Porsche Centre are by far the best (and I found) the cheapest for a new GENUINE windshield, plus it fits and has Porsche optical quality.

Good luck

Check out my Build-off thread for picture/information on windshield replacement.

I can say that I bought one from Rock Auto, which was convenient and it made it to me intact via China. Very thin glass. You are making the right move. I am using butyl sealer tape for the install.
Mikey914
For the replacement you can go OEM, which will require the use on 19 retainer clips. If these clips are used there is not enough room to use the rubber replacement. It will be more expensive to keep OEM mostly due to the cost of the chrome. The rubber is an inexpensive way to replace the windshield. The rubber is typically glued in with urethane.
There is a thread here somewhere where the procedure for install was documented along with the block to space it. I know as I posted it. Should be able to find with a little searching.
Mark
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 26 2016, 11:43 AM) *

There is a thread here somewhere where the procedure for install was documented along with the block to space it. I know as I posted it. Should be able to find with a little searching.
Mark

Here is one: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74816

And another: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91864

From Fourteener Magazine: https://fourteenermotoring.com/2015/08/31/i...914-windshield/
76-914
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 26 2016, 07:18 AM) *

The windshield on my car needs replacing before I invest in a new one I have a question regarding installation.

The current windshield has a rubber seal around instead of the chrome trim. Can anyone tell me if the install procedure is the same as for the chrome trim and can I reuse the rubber?

Thanks
IPB Image

Hell no. Not even close. I used the Honda rubber before 914rubber started making them. I took a lot of patience and "hammering" the windshield with the palm of my hand to get it in place. The OEM method which employs the frame and butyl tape was extremely easy.
wes
After completing my car with virtually no experience to begin with I have found a lot of parts I assumed no longer available are actually available to includ windshields and trim at your local Porsche dealer. Well yes you may have to wait for shipping and likely more $$ but it's right! Now as for windshields I used the one form China and aluminum trim pieces from Auto Atlanta. Yes of corse the result was not good on eather, at 127 miles the car setting in the sun and when I came back I find a small crack in the windshield wich grew on the way home. Next trip first tiime I pushed the new engine a bit driving between 80 to 95 for a good stretch and when I got home looking at my beauty the trim has come off or loose at the top.
Thinking I did something wrong I talked to a friend who has a Porsche repair shop and he just laughs and says the trim is a very poor sloppy copy and I should know better than to buy Chinese junk glass also that Auto Atlanta probably bought the trim from China as well. Of course Auto Atlanta called it an exact copy made by the same manufacture as Porsche used. I now know better than to save a few dollars and end up doing the job twice, in the end paying more. My two cents says always check with Porsche, Volkswagen first, buy 914rubber and others on the 914world site.
Pezz
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 26 2016, 06:18 AM) *

Thanks
IPB Image

I have an original windshield (and all other windows) in good to excellent condition from a 1970 for sale. I can get photos.
In Oregon.
I can ship.
classicsworkshop
QUOTE(Pezz @ Jan 25 2020, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jul 26 2016, 06:18 AM) *

Thanks
IPB Image

I have an original windshield (and all other windows) in good to excellent condition from a 1970 for sale. I can get photos.
In Oregon.
I can ship.

howdy sir, do you still have that glass set?
VaccaRabite
When you use the rubber (which I did and prefer) you should put some frit paint on the inside of the windshield. Otherwise, the glue will show and look bad though the windshield.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.