Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - Another Take on the Gulf Racing Livery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Well, it is powered by the later gen bus Type IV 2.0L derived from out 914s, but i'ts still only good for 0-60 mph in 30 minutes! biggrin.gif

Still, as a Pittsburger where Gulf headquartered during the time of our 914's run, before being bought by Standard Oil, as well as an `88 Westy owner - I found this evil-bay ad for one in this paint scheme interesting!

Perhaps others will too? And the PNW folks may even know it well! confused24.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272318993455?force...5&viewitem=

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Maybe it could be the support vehicle/living quarters to a 914-6 in Gulf Livery!? idea.gif

Enjoy! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
76-914
I like it. Looks better on a 914 but I like it. biggrin.gif
Alphaogre
This would be great to flat tow a Gulf livery 914... biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 26 2016, 04:54 PM) *

This would be great to flat tow a Gulf livery 914... biggrin.gif

I'm guessing you've not driven a Vanagon before? confused24.gif

I wasn't far off on the 0-60 = 30 mins.! huh.gif .... on a downhill, with a tail wind, etc....
.... well, you get the idea! biggrin.gif

You might flat tow a 914 on the flat with a tail wind & not much over 55-60 mph with a stock 2.0L aircooled, or the 1.9L or 2.1L waterboxers. A built 2.2-2.7L GoWesty, Subie or Porsche H-6 conversion would all do progressively better in that order.

It's even slower with the full camper version like this one, plus all your luggage & gear, food, water (tank inside), driver + 1-3 or 4 passenger(s) (4 with a jump seat, or 3 across the back). Grades are even slower!

Still, they are great fun for camping, traveling, beach, mountains, skiing/snowboarding, etc., so long as you're patient with their pace.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 26 2016, 03:58 PM) *

I like it. Looks better on a 914 but I like it. biggrin.gif

Like this!? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Possibly a member here, but I just googled for a nice looking one to keep you happy! biggrin.gif

So a souped-up GoWesty 2.4-2.7L flat 4 up-grade "built" OE engine, a Subie flat /4 or /6 conversion, an Oettenger WBX6 3.2L or 3.6L flat 6 waterboxer conversion from the `80's, a real `85 Porsche B32 Carerra Van, or a Porsche flat 6 air or water boxer conversion powered Westy/Vanagon in the same Gulf colors would be nice to flat tow it with without too much strain - assuming you likewise upped the brakes to big discs & wheels/tires all around! happy11.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.