Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, Dumb Oil Thermostat Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PorscheTom
Hello all,

I've never installed one of these, so I have a dumb noobie question... rolleyes.gif

When a remote oil thermostat is closed, oil that is currently being pumped into it...does it return back to the engine or is it just stopped at the thermostat until it reaches it's opening temp?

In other words, when cold, does oil go thru the thermostat and back to the engine - make a loop...?

Thanks for any info!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (PorscheTom @ Apr 11 2005, 11:36 AM)
In other words, when cold, does oil go thru the thermostat and back to the engine - make a loop...?

yes.

it always makes a loop. it's either a short loop that bypasses the cooler or a long loop that includes it.
dmenche914
Generally the cooler is in a loop, and the thermostat bypasses the cooler when cold. (many oil thermostats are two way valves, one inlet, and two outlets, selection on which outlet (or varied amount of each outlet) is dependant on the temperature)

Do not let a cooler get cold oil, cause it could rupture as cold oil can reach very high pressures if taken right off the pump.

If you fit the oil cooler in place of the stock cooler (ie use the stock cooler inlet and outlet ports on the engine) the engine already has a pressure relief system to bypass the cooler when things are cold. This regulates the pressure so the cooler won't leak under high start up pressures.

On an external cooler, you will likely have more cooling capacity, so a thermostat is required to prevent over cooling the oil, hence you run at an optimal oil temp.

The external thermostat is required on aftermarket systems that bypass the stock pressure relief system, and is nice to have even on external coolers that are using the stock pressure relief system, as they go futher, and better control oil temp.

StratPlayer
This is where I mounted my thermostat, cooler is up front
Aaron Cox
what size lines?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.