Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 is 1st race car driven at this venue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg914-6GT
The pictures have some pretty subtle hints. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=565
910]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tom_T
The building looks to me like the new PCNA HQ & Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

I was going to go in early May while in ATL for a biz conference, but had ahealth issue & had cut the trip short to fly home early to get it taken care of (emergency root canals are no fun! sad.gif ).

They're still screwing around with finishing the one here in SoCal due to successive delays pushing it back from the original opening of Spring 2016 IIRC. I heard it was ground settlement issues being built on top of an old landfill, which they could've easily planned ahead properly for, if they'd just contacted me, since I did work in the 1980's on the site next door where they want to do the proposed stadium for the Chargers & Raiders (if it's even still in the works now, with the Rams here).

For those in CA - it's in Carson CA just off the 405 - across from the Goodyear Blimp's airfield & the Carson Mall - so convenient to both local SoCal & those flying into LAX.

popcorn[1].gif
Tom
///////
carr914
I can't believe they put the Armco in like that!
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 27 2016, 03:02 PM) *

The building looks to me like the new PCNA HQ & Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

I was going to go in early May while in ATL for a biz conference, but had ahealth issue & had cut the trip short to fly home early to get it taken care of (emergency root canals are no fun! sad.gif ).

They're still screwing around with finishing the one here in SoCal due to successive delays pushing it back from the original opening of Spring 2016 IIRC. I heard it was ground settlement issues being built on top of an old landfill, which they could've easily planned ahead properly for, if they'd just contacted me, since I did work in the 1980's on the site next door where they want to do the proposed stadium for the Chargers & Raiders (if it's even still in the works now, with the Rams here).

For those in CA - it's in Carson CA just off the 405 - across from the Goodyear Blimp's airfield & the Carson Mall - so convenient to both local SoCal & those flying into LAX.

popcorn[1].gif
Tom
///////

You are correct. The Porsche Experience Center.
Racer
Nice.. is it like the 'Ring ? Just pay a few $$ and go for a ride wink.gif
jim_hoyland
Cool pics; does the Atlanta facility look like it could accommodate the 2018 Rennsport Reunion ? Laguna Seca had 60,000 attend over 3 days
JmuRiz
Cool, I have up my pass to drive there this coming weekend to my brother. He'll have a blast!
My 914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 27 2016, 09:16 PM) *

Cool, I have up my pass to drive there this coming weekend to my brother. He'll have a blast!

Looks very nice! I have heard the driving school experience there is great but expensive. Has anyone been?
r_towle
Heading there for some work for the next few months . Will see what the menu is .
db9146
I've been to the facility a couple of times but I didn't know they let you drive your own car there. I thought it was just to have a chance to drive one of the new Porsches.
pete000
I hope they let us on the new Experience Center here in LA when it opens !
porschetub
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 28 2016, 02:44 PM) *

I've been to the facility a couple of times but I didn't know they let you drive your own car there. I thought it was just to have a chance to drive one of the new Porsches.

Appears the new guy got on the track....
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 27 2016, 04:53 PM) *

Cool pics; does the Atlanta facility look like it could accommodate the 2018 Rennsport Reunion ? Laguna Seca had 60,000 attend over 3 days

It isn't a race track, it is a place you can drive new Porsche's for comparison.
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(My 914 @ Jul 27 2016, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 27 2016, 09:16 PM) *

Looks very nice! I have heard the driving school experience there is great but expensive. Has anyone been?

I've been, the price is based upon the car you drive. Boxster/Cayman are cheapest, GT and Turbo S cost the most.
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 27 2016, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 28 2016, 02:44 PM) *

Appears the new guy got on the track....

I'm only new to this site, been racing for years. No you can't take your private car on the track. The car is on display at the classic center at the PEC. Car was driven by one of the Chief Driving Instructors.
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jul 27 2016, 06:44 PM) *

You are correct, that car is on display there and was taken out with each model year of the Carrera RS for demo laps.
Cracker
that car has is too softly sprung...lots of roll. Nice looking car though - where's the wing? The Atlanta course is a glorified go-cart experience - not worth your time or money. JFYI.

T
6freak
glorified go-cart

Rev thats what a 914 is driving.gif .. a go cart with a windscreen and doors lol-2.gif
MikeC

Mark Henry
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 27 2016, 07:22 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

huh.gif blink.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif

That is unsafe track barriers for high performance cars!
Armco is at best marginal on highways.
It's not a matter of if some rookie will get killed hitting those barriers, it's when.
I see a wrongful death lawsuit in their future.

I can see a car launching 20' in the air and crashing into that building. WTF.gif
Cracker
It is NOT a race track, nor a high speed facility...marketing purposes only.

T

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2016, 01:22 PM) *

It's not a matter of if some rookie will get killed hitting those barriers, it's when.

I can see a car launching 20' in the air and crashing into that building. WTF.gif

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 28 2016, 01:27 PM) *

It is NOT a race track, nor a high speed facility...marketing purposes only.

T

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2016, 01:22 PM) *

Yeh OK...and that tire track heading pretty close to straight into the rail is a figment of my imagination.

IPB Image
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 28 2016, 06:09 AM) *

that car has is too softly sprung...lots of roll. Nice looking car though - where's the wing? The Atlanta course is a glorified go-cart experience - not worth your time or money. JFYI.

T

Do you ever have anything positive say? You clearing have no idea WTF you are talking about. I know you've never driven that car and I doubt you have turned a wheel at the PEC. The pictures were to enjoy and have a fun engagement with positive people.
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM) *

Jim, I've heard that Laguna Seca is still in the running - & PCNA wants to keep a West Coast presence, so it's possible up there.

However, the LA PEC is not a track, so it wouldn't be in the running.

IIRC you can't "normally" take your own car on the PEC in Atlanta, nor LA & elsewhere in the future - except that there may be some special PCA events there which could allow it .... time will tell. I think the ATL-PEC may have doen one with their local PCA at the opening, but I don't know if they allowed personal cars on the track for a "display lap" or something (i.e.: led in a controlled group).

Maybe one of our PCA-Peachtree Region members on here will know & chime in.

You can see their rates to drive the vehicles at the ATL-PEC website, as I looked at them when I was planning to go out there for a few hours to look around when I was in ATL for biz in early May, but I didn't plan to drive on that trip due to time limits in my schedule.

For those looking at the Armco barriers - I don't think those are the typical ones we see on the freeways etc., but a heavier duty type - but I cannot say how effective they are at whatever level of high speeds that they'd be allowing on their DE type classes there.

From the driving classes I saw online when I looked, it seemed like you had one of their driver/instructors in the car with you most of the time (maybe all), or else in a lead car if/when alone in the car.

There are several car print & e-magazine articles out there about the courses, & it may have been in Pano or Excellence that I read one. For those who are interested &/or concerned, go read up on it.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cracker
Stand down my northern enthusiast. Yes, I have driven PEC. Yes, I am a National PCA driving instructor and Peachstate PCA is my "local" club. Yes, I say positive things all the time (and even did in my posting this morning regarding your car).

Tom: It will never happen, most likely, as there is no racing, no high speed potential at the facility (certainly no racing) and size and viewing space is a poor match. PEC is for marketing to customers and potential customers - not race cars or exhibitions. The location that WOULD be considered is Barber Motorsports Park (Porsche Driving School is also located there) - it has everything needed for a successful Reunion!

Regarding the Armco and facility - they are not doing DE's there and it wouldn't be possible anyway. The "instructors" there are doing more babysitting and selling cars via the experience than anything else. There is NO HPDE aspect to the program. Several of our PCA instructors - the suckers who work for pennies - serve as "driving instructors" at the PEC. The service is outsourced and is not run and operated by Porsche NA directly.

T

QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Jul 28 2016, 03:05 PM) *

T

Do you ever have anything positive say? You clearing have no idea WTF you are talking about. I know you've never driven that car and I doubt you have turned a wheel at the PEC. The pictures were to enjoy and have a fun engagement with positive people.
carr914
[quote name='Tom_T' date='Jul 28 2016, 04:13 PM' post='2377616']
[quote name='jim_hoyland' post='2377317' date='Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM']

For those looking at the Armco barriers - I don't think those are the typical ones we see on the freeways etc., but a heavier duty type - but I cannot say how effective they are at whatever level of high speeds that they'd be allowing on their DE type classes there.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what you made the Armco out if you install it incorrectly! That Armco has gaps especially at the bottom. Many cases of Drivers dying when hitting Armco and submarining under it!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 28 2016, 03:09 PM) *

Yes, I am a .... Peachstate PCA is my "local" club.

LOL Rev - I've gotta chuckle at myself sometimes! biggrin.gif

I guess with just about every other street in ATL being named "Peachtree" - I guess I just transliterated in my head today, that to your Region's name! biggrin.gif

Peachstate Region it is!

BTW - I meant a leisurely drive in a led group of members in their own cars at a Peachstate or other PCA event - not a victory lap at speed.

I agree that it's just a high price "pay to be sold" sales pitch event there, ergo I didn't plan to waste any money on that myself! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
[quote name='carr914' date='Jul 28 2016, 04:08 PM' post='2377687']
[quote name='Tom_T' date='Jul 28 2016, 04:13 PM' post='2377616']
[quote name='jim_hoyland' post='2377317' date='Jul 27 2016, 05:53 PM']

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what you made the Armco out if you install it incorrectly! That Armco has gaps especially at the bottom. Many cases of Drivers dying when hitting Armco and submarining under it!
[/quote]

IIRC TC - I've seen something similar on some track somewhere & tall - but without the bottom gap. That said - even the top height at PEC is probably too low as well, so time will tell if they have any safety problems (as Mark H said).

I any case, it's basically only used to take potential buyers - or someone wanting to drive a new model without purchasing it - to go around a loop to explore street level handling & performance only.

Even at that, they'd be better served to have used one of the energy absorbing systems used on freeways & interstates with 65-75 mph speed limits, which are closer to what they do at PEC - rather than those rails typically used on lower speed roads at curves & drop-offs.

There is also a defectively made Armco or similar "guard rail" product which separates incorrectly & skewers drivers/passengers/cars, which are & will be liability problems for state & local governments. They've been in the news already.

But then, this post was to show a cool car going around the ATL-PEC, & not debate guard rails.

Personally, IMHO - you're better off just renting a Porsche from Hertz, Enterprise's special div., etc. for a weekend or week to evaluate, & explore one for your own purchase, or to try out - then go on a mini-road trip! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Jul 28 2016, 02:09 PM) *

Stand down my northern enthusiast. Yes, I have driven PEC. Yes, I am a National PCA driving instructor and Peachstate PCA is my "local" club. Yes, I say positive things all the time (and even did in my posting this morning regarding your car).

Tom: It will never happen, most likely, as there is no racing, no high speed potential at the facility (certainly no racing) and size and viewing space is a poor match. PEC is for marketing to customers and potential customers - not race cars or exhibitions. The location that WOULD be considered is Barber Motorsports Park (Porsche Driving School is also located there) - it has everything needed for a successful Reunion!

Regarding the Armco and facility - they are not doing DE's there and it wouldn't be possible anyway. The "instructors" there are doing more babysitting and selling cars via the experience than anything else. There is NO HPDE aspect to the program. Several of our PCA instructors - the suckers who work for pennies - serve as "driving instructors" at the PEC. The service is outsourced and is not run and operated by Porsche NA directly.

T

QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Jul 28 2016, 03:05 PM) *

T

Yah I'm just an enthusiast. The claim of being a PCA instructor explains a lot. So mister expert, what track expansions are planned for the "go kart" track. FYI the ridiculous wing and splitter were removed since only PCA allows it. My cars are now running in HSR. Kind of nice the R8 talk site doesn't have the negativity you post.
Cracker
I hope you have a great weekend.

PS: I do apologize if you took offense to being called an enthusiast...no offense intended by it all. Damn! shades.gif

Tony

[quote name='Greg914-6GT' date='Jul 29 2016, 03:59 PM' post='2378093']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yah I'm just an enthusiast. The claim of being a PCA instructor explains a lot. So mister expert, what track expansions are planned for the "go kart" track. FYI the ridiculous wing and splitter were removed since only PCA allows it. My cars are now running in HSR. Kind of nice the R8 talk site doesn't have the negativity you post.
[/quote]
KELTY360
ar15.gif fighting19.gif Yack.gif blowtorch.gif sawzall-smiley.gif jerkit.gif jerkit.gif hitfan[1].gif hitfan[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif
krazykonrad
I haven't driven on the track (yet), but that place is truly amazing. Very much worth the effort to see just the historic cars there. 917... need I say more?

Konrad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.