Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arsprod
I need to replace my clutch soon. From looking at records this clutch only has 20k miles on it but the last replacement was in 1985. I'm going to assume the flywheel is toast (car has 106k). The kit from Pelican looks like the way to go (with 6 spring disc with flywheel) but kinda pricey. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish but if there's a cheaper way to get all the parts I'm anxious to hear it! Thanks
Larmo63
Check eBay listings, they seem to be the cheapest.
BeemerSteve
ebay does have good deals on clutch kits. $284. for Sachs kit disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. And yes, if you don't need to do any engine stuff leave it in and drop your transmission only. Took me almost an hour this way.
Frankvw
Why would the flywheel be toast ?
arsprod
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 28 2016, 10:01 AM) *

Why would the flywheel be toast ?

106k miles?
arsprod
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Jul 27 2016, 09:52 PM) *

ebay does have good deals on clutch kits. $284. for Sachs kit disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. And yes, if you don't need to do any engine stuff leave it in and drop your transmission only. Took me almost an hour this way.

well that's encouraging - didn't even think about trying to do the clutch without dropping the whole motor
dcheek
I just did this job. I used the Pelican Tech forum which has an excellent step by step procedure, with pictures, to do the job by removing the transmission only.

I bought everything from Pelican. Yeah, you can get it cheaper on Ebay but, if there is a problem, I would rather deal with a real company than someone on Ebay. I believe it's important to support those that support us.

As far as the flywheel, I would use the old one if it's not scored too bad or shows signs of excessive heat or warping. I was going around and around with whether to resurface my original or buy a new one. Mine had mild ridges, not deep scores. I just took some emery cloth and scuffed it up. The new clutch disk seated in after 50-100 miles. It works fine-engages smoothly with no chatter. Keep in mind that the original flywheel was balance with the crankshaft at the factory. Installing a new flywheel will not be balanced unless you pull the motor apart. Resurfacing, you run the risk of it not being done properly, and you will also have to adjust the clutch fork to make up for the amount of material taken off the flywheel.

Since everything is apart change all the seals, even if there is no sign of leaking. Seals are cheap and easy to install. The last thing you want is to button everything up have a leaky seal ruin your new clutch disk.

All in, including shipping I spent about $700.
I was very happy with the quality of the parts (Sachs) and the quick delivery from Pelican.

Dave
arsprod
Very helpful Dave. I read that Pelican article and assumed it included engine removal - goes to show how important it is to read multiple times! I'm also leaning towards buying from Pelican based on previous experience and their willingness to answer my stupid questions!

I'm curious which "kit" you bought - original or 6 spring, super kit, etc? thanks!
dcheek
QUOTE(arsprod @ Jul 28 2016, 08:28 AM) *

Very helpful Dave. I read that Pelican article and assumed it included engine removal - goes to show how important it is to read multiple times! I'm also leaning towards buying from Pelican based on previous experience and their willingness to answer my stupid questions!

I'm curious which "kit" you bought - original or 6 spring, super kit, etc? thanks!

I went with the original 4 spring clutch disk.

Dave
colingreene
106k on a flywheel. no big deal. they can be re surfaced you know.
arsprod
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 29 2016, 01:39 AM) *

106k on a flywheel. no big deal. they can be re surfaced you know.

yeah, thanks for the reminder!
cjmace
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jul 28 2016, 08:04 AM) *

I just did this job. I used the Pelican Tech forum which has an excellent step by step procedure, with pictures, to do the job by removing the transmission only.

I bought everything from Pelican. Yeah, you can get it cheaper on Ebay but, if there is a problem, I would rather deal with a real company than someone on Ebay. I believe it's important to support those that support us.

As far as the flywheel, I would use the old one if it's not scored too bad or shows signs of excessive heat or warping. I was going around and around with whether to resurface my original or buy a new one. Mine had mild ridges, not deep scores. I just took some emery cloth and scuffed it up. The new clutch disk seated in after 50-100 miles. It works fine-engages smoothly with no chatter. Keep in mind that the original flywheel was balance with the crankshaft at the factory. Installing a new flywheel will not be balanced unless you pull the motor apart. Resurfacing, you run the risk of it not being done properly, and you will also have to adjust the clutch fork to make up for the amount of material taken off the flywheel.

Since everything is apart change all the seals, even if there is no sign of leaking. Seals are cheap and easy to install. The last thing you want is to button everything up have a leaky seal ruin your new clutch disk.

I was very happy with the quality of the parts (Sachs) and the quick delivery from Pelican.

Dave

Did you have the link or title of the post showing the step by step? I've been looking but nothing comes up easily
Keith914
QUOTE(cjmace @ Nov 25 2016, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Jul 28 2016, 08:04 AM) *

Dave

Did you have the link or title of the post showing the step by step? I've been looking but nothing comes up easily

Pelican tech articles come up blank on my computer until I scroll down about a page, then they begin to show sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.