Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So saturday morning I get the good idea that I'll jack the car up on the street and do a valve adjustment. I get the thing up on jack stands and try to pull the valve cover wires down. Blegh, I can't reach so I'll just take the exhaust off to reach it.

Well, that wasn't a good idea. Needless to say cars kept zooming up and down the street (little rice burners) and almost hitting me, thought for a second this might not be a good idea. So i start putting the nuts for the exhaust back on.

I guess the exhaust tubes didn't set into the heads right, cause now I have a small exhaust leak on 3 and 4. Oh wells. I'll pull into the garage and do it right today. Boy oh boy I love doing things twice.
brp914
Dont take off the exhuast - you're asking for trouble (as you have discovered). Careful putting it back on. Dont overtighten the nuts or you could easily pull the studs out of the head, then you'll really be in a world of hurt. Put a dab of grease on the copper exhuast gaskets to secure them in the head before you lift in the heat exchanger.

For removing the valve cover I use the handle from my floor jack. Pry up against the control arm. Easy.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (brp914 @ Apr 11 2005, 02:26 PM)
For removing the valve cover I use the handle from my floor jack. Pry up against the control arm. Easy.

or a long screwdriver...
Toast
Just ask Slits about adjusting valves. laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 11 2005, 12:35 PM)

laugh.gif

i use a shoprag.... loop it over...and pull down....
bd1308
i just cuss at it and hope my valves magically adjust on thier own
Brando
Well, I found the source of my exhaust leak. The manifold was seated into the head properly it turns out. Driver's side manifold has one nut that is rustwelded on to the stud. I decided after it turned a tiny amount with a lot of force that I shouldn't attempt lest I break the stud or pull it out (both bad).

Anyhow, seems my the rust finally gave way on my Passenger's side manifold. Is this supposed to wiggle?
Aaron Cox
can you say backdate to early style exhaust??

BTW - PM skline...i belive he has a set of lat emodel (your style) heat exchangers leaning up on his fence in the backyard....
SLITS

finger.gif finger.gif finger.gif finger.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 11 2005, 01:18 PM)
Just ask Slits about adjusting valves.   laugh.gif

finger.gif finger.gif finger.gif finger.gif

busted!
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 11 2005, 12:15 PM)

BTW - PM skline...i belive he has a set of lat emodel (your style) heat exchangers leaning up on his fence in the backyard....

I think i'll just ride it out until i get those 2.0 SSIs...

Actually, I'm gonna give Ron a call. (dun dun dun) finger.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Brando @ Apr 11 2005, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 11 2005, 12:15 PM)

I think i'll just ride it out until i get those 2.0 SSIs...

Actually, I'm gonna give Ron a call. (dun dun dun) finger.gif

I might have one set of the exhaust manifolds.....need to look....none are loose from the HEs though.

Hell, even if you back dated to the 1.7/1.8 style you would be power ahead.
TheCabinetmaker
Yep, dump the late model crap, or if ya really need the manifold, I got three sets I'll give ya.
Brando
What's the difference between the late style 1.8 and the early style 1.7/1.8? If it's the dual-port outlet where it bolts to the muffler I don't really have the necessary parts for my heating to switch over just yet... I got the single large outlet currently, not the dual-large outlet. Although, beggars can't be choosers. I'll go with what's best reccommended and in stock wink.gif
Dave_Darling
The difference, in a nutshell, is "everything". The only parts they have in common are the flapper valves and the hoses that go from those to the body.

--DD
Elliot_Cannon
The best way to remove the valve cover wires is to reach up and grasp it firmly between your thumb and index finger and pull down kinda hard. Works everytime. laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Brando
Shyaddup Elliott laugh.gif

My bail wires were stuck to the covers by rust, wouldnt budge by hand or with a big screwdriver. So I used a 8ft breaker bar with a 35lb angled tip. Set reached it on past the HEs and set it on top of the wire. Gave it a little tap with my palm a couple times and the wires sprang down eventually.

Does anyone make aftermarket Aluminum valve covers? Preferably ones that bolt to the case instead of wire-affix... Kind of like empi aftermarket ones for most VWs.
skline
Joe Buckle has them on his car, I dont care for them but they do add a little bling to the engine. As for the bails, I always take a large screwdriver and go from the side and pop it off the head and it falls right out. That way you can clean them before putting them back in. It make it easier to pull the cover off too and reinstall it. It works for me and it takes about 2 seconds. Works everytime.

As for your exhaust, yeah, I have a couple of sets here that you can have. I have to agree with others that you should back date it to the earlier style. As DD mentioned, the flappers are the same parts. I even have a set of the big 74 1.8 liters here you can take with you. The tubes are the same size as the 2 liter. It even has a monza exhaust on it. The guy who wanted them at first no longer wants them and is going with something else.
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif with Scott. Damn, I thought I was the only one to do that way. Get the damn thing out of the way.

Brando
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 11 2005, 05:48 PM)
Joe Buckle has them on his car, I dont care for them but they do add a little bling to the engine. As for the bails, I always take a large screwdriver and go from the side and pop it off the head and it falls right out. That way you can clean them before putting them back in. It make it easier to pull the cover off too and reinstall it. It works for me and it takes about 2 seconds. Works everytime.

As for your exhaust, yeah, I have a couple of sets here that you can have. I have to agree with others that you should back date it to the earlier style. As DD mentioned, the flappers are the same parts. I even have a set of the big 74 1.8 liters here you can take with you. The tubes are the same size as the 2 liter. It even has a monza exhaust on it. The guy who wanted them at first no longer wants them and is going with something else.

Yo Scott, I'll take it!

I'll give you a call today.
TheCabinetmaker
Good call Brando.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Brando @ Apr 11 2005, 05:29 PM)
Does anyone make aftermarket Aluminum valve covers? Preferably ones that bolt to the case instead of wire-affix...

Yes, someone does. They suck--you don't want them unless you really like oil leaks and trying to figure out how to time-sert the rocker stands.... See a discussion on this very subject from last week elsewhere on the board.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.