Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Jack for 73 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
CW,

IIRC it may depend upon when in the Aug 72 - July 73 production run, & what was in the parts bin at the time, but I don't recall seeing the red-band one in any 73, but maybe.

Heck, I'd even had to look at the one in my early 73 again to see what it is! huh.gif See pix below, which are similar to your left one, with Bilstein on the top, but I can't read the left one's top in your pic,

I'd suggest looking at the pix in your owners manual (they're only B&W) to try to match it to what you have in the pix above, or if you don't have the manual - then find a local with a near build date to yours & look in their owners manual.

Ditto to check with a few other 73 914 owners in your area with cars around the same VIN date / Karmann plate Chassis # build date - Chassis # is decoded as: WW-D-95-###, with WW being week # in the year, D is day # M-F, 95 is Karmann plant ( or 96 adds 100 to ###, 97 200, etc.), & ### is car # that day - use a 72 or 73 calendar to get your precise date (based on year of VIN sticker on the rear driver door jamb).

The resources on the p914.org & .com websites are still in the process of being rebuilt after a lightning strike, so it doesn't show the extra info (yet, or as before).

http://www.p914.org/p914_tools.htm

Here's pix of mine + tool kit, in case that's the next post which I see (note that early 73's often also had white handle screwdrivers, but this black one was in my car when I bought it from the OO in 12/75) - FYI - mine is a `73 My 914-2.0 "914S" with a 8/31/72 build date -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment .... tool kit at next post ....

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
... & my tool kit ....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Obviously I have some rust clean-up & re-plating to do on these, or else find CW quality replacements! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dlkawashima
I don't know about early vs. late, but the jack on my very late '73 (June 1973 build date) is the same as the one on the far left and the same as Tom's.

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Thanks guys
rgalla9146

That must be a replacement tool kit (bag only ?) given that it has a period parts number sticker on it.
The part number has a VW Beetle prefix !
Steve Snyder
914 Jack information: http://www.p914.com/p914_tools_jack.htm

I've never seen one like the center example in a 914, but that means little.
scallyk9
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 28 2016, 08:44 PM) *

I don't know about early vs. late, but the jack on my very late '73 (June 1973 build date) is the same as the one on the far left and the same as Tom's.

Click to view attachment

The one on the left is the one I received with my 1974 CanAm LE (build date 3/74) and from the looks of the straps, it had never been released from them in 42 years.
mgphoto
Just check my MY '72 it has the red band around the top of the jack, the one with the long handle.
Built May 1972
Mike
StarBear
Here are mine. The top one is the original that came with my 74 1.8L. The other one I got a few years later at a swap meet or something - note a) no extended finger on the jack hole insert and b) not chromed top. Otherwise, they are very similar.
brant
resurrecting an old-ish thread

I pulled this jack out of my shed.
I believe it came in my 1972 (now race car)

oddly, I went into my 1974 to compare
it is the long handle, red banded one as pictured above.

there is a small chance the 2 jacks were switched...
but not likely. I think the red banded one has been in the 74 since I bought it in 85
but there is always a chance.

still interesting that this one I believe to be 1972, is different than the pictures in this thread. has no indentation in the handle
the 1972 was entirely original, and very low miles.
I'm not saying that it couldn't of possibly been switched.
but every nut and bolt on that car... every door panel, everything I removed looked as if it had never had a wrench on any hardware in its entire life.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.