Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need battery charging help and advice!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
'76 2.0, I replaced the alternator and installed a new Beru VR. Started car up and it was charging at 18 volts at the battery, no good! I then tried 3 differents used Bosch VR's. (Thank you Dominic!). All of the VR's slid into the relay board socket very loosely, so I tried slightly bending the VR connector tabs to make a better contact. In each case, either the voltage meter reads 12.6 volts (not charging), or it swings back to 18 volts! Also, when I'm pulling the throttle cable to increase engine speed and at the same time I am touching the metal VR case to wiggle it to see if that helps, I can feel a low electric pulse sometimes coming through me. I read that I might try a new relay board for this kind of problem, here's a picture of mine. Anyone have an extra relay board, or any other ideas of what is wrong and what I might try next!!! I'm stumped. screwy.gif
Click to view attachment
76-914
Is one of the female spades in the relay board dropping when you try to push the regulator onto it? Push on each one to see if it stays in place or drops. If so get another relay board. beerchug.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 28 2016, 05:07 PM) *

Is one of the female spades in the relay board dropping when you try to push the regulator onto it? Push on each one to see if it stays in place or drops. If so get another relay board. beerchug.gif

i will remove the relay board and see if the contacts are holding, thanks
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2016, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 28 2016, 05:07 PM) *

i will remove the relay board and see if the contacts are holding, thanks

Removed relay board, you were right, female spades in board were pushing out. Does the bottom of my relay board look normal? Looks like it's opened up and melted somewhat on the edges? Is that the way it should look??? WTF.gif
Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
Yikes! barf.gif No. Your relay board should not look like that with the big section of insulation gone. You should probably take the time to clean all that gunk off and check the traces. Solder and repair them if necessary, and then re-coat in something like liquid tape.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 28 2016, 05:34 PM) *

Yikes! barf.gif No. Your relay board should not look like that with the big section of insulation gone. You should probably take the time to clean all that gunk off and check the traces. Solder and repair them if necessary, and then re-coat in something like liquid tape.

Anyone have an extra old relay board??
Tbrown4x4
That red D+ wire from the alternator looks melted too.
76-914
I've got one but PM BDStone here (Bruce Stone). He is local and makes a living selling good parts at very reasonable prices. If he doesn't hook you up ping me. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jul 28 2016, 07:45 PM) *

That red D+ wire from the alternator looks melted too.

agree.gif I was going to suggest replacing the alternator harness too. I will Frey where it passes through the tin.
oakdalecurtis
Thank you for all of your excellent advice! I found the problem, the relay board, and repaired my board as best I could and the car is finally charging the battery at about 13.2 volts!!!!! BeatNavy nailed it, a special thanks to him! cheer.gif
cwl
76-914
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2016, 07:35 PM) *

Thank you for all of your excellent advice! I found the problem, the relay board, and repaired my board as best I could and the car is finally charging the battery at about 13.2 volts!!!!! BeatNavy nailed it, a special thanks to him! cheer.gif
cwl

So much for the Credits Dept!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.