Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paper Gaskets under weber IDFs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I am putting my intake manifolds back on tonight after finding leaks using the "spray starting fluid on the manifolds" trick.

I have always used a thin coat of RTV Blue Silicone on the paper gaskets between the carbs & intake manifolds.
Now I read that RTV is bad news on the intake and should not be used.

So I did many searches (yes even on this site) and cannot find a definitive answer.
Most say use the thick paper gaskets all by them selves, dry.
Some say use some grease.

I found a few on this site that said use a "thin coat of non-hardening sealant", but they didnt say exactly which brand.
I have a couple of Curils, some permatex gasket maker (non-hardening), etc.

Any ideas?
I need something where you dont have to wait 24 hours as I dont have that kind of time. (loading for race tomorrow)

Thanks for the help in advance.
I'll go do the second manifold before putting the first carb back on.
iankarr
Assuming the paper gaskets are new, I say use them dry.
green914
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 28 2016, 07:05 PM) *

Assuming the paper gaskets are new, I say use them dry.

agree.gif I just replaced the carbs on mine recently, and used just the clean dry paper gaskets driving.gif great.
Mark Henry
Wheel bearing grease, just rub it into the gasket, remove any excess.

Seals up nice and the bonus is it won't stick to the head, manifold or phenolic spacer and the gasket can often be reused.
Been doing it this way over 25 years. wink.gif
colingreene
^ interesting.
ive always put them on dry though.
re used mine a few times.
most of the time they have glued themselves to the bottom of my carb so i leave them there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.