Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaky reservoir seals on master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Localboy808
So every time I try add brake fluid it slowly leaks at the master cylinder at the reservoir inlet. It's just the front one from what I can tell. I've pulled the tube and seal out. Seal looks newer. Master cylinder looks new. I'm guessing maybe the seal was installed incorrectly? Can anyone help me out with an explanation on how those seals are supposed to be installed? Tried searching around but haven't found anything.

Click to view attachment

Maybe this picture helps? This is what I'm dealing with.

Thanks, Scott
mark04usa
You might be missing the washers that go beneath the seals in the brake master. 14mm OD, part number 901 355 936 00

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
You don't want to hear this but....
The best time to install the supply tubes is before lifting the MC into position.
This way it's possible to feel the nipples seat into the grommets.
Using vise grips or pliers to reach up and over the mounted MC is difficult and iffy.
Detach the reservoir from its mount, that will allow you to lower it to fit the supply tubes.
Be sure to sure to feed the push rod into the MC as you mount it.
I've had good results doing it this way.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 29 2016, 05:59 AM) *

You don't want to hear this but....
The best time to install the supply tubes is before lifting the MC into position.
This way it's possible to feel the nipples seat into the grommets.
Using vise grips or pliers to reach up and over the mounted MC is difficult and iffy.
Detach the reservoir from its mount, that will allow you to lower it to fit the supply tubes.
Be sure to sure to feed the push rod into the MC as you mount it.
I've had good results doing it this way.

agree.gif I just made this repair myself. The best way to work the fittings is on a workbench.
Localboy808
Thank you guys. So what is the correct direction for the seals? Wider side in first? And the tubes go all the way through the rubber grommets? Washers first?
MartyYeoman
Washer in first, seated in the recess in the MC bore. Grommet in next, large end to bottom of bore. Then work the tubes into the grommets. Push each tube thru its grommet until it seats against its washer. Rotate the tubes to orient for correct positioning to mate to the reservoir location.Then install back onto your car. Good luck it's actually not that hard to do.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jul 30 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Washer in first, seated in the recess in the MC bore. Grommet in next, large end to bottom of bore. Then work the tubes into the grommets. Push each tube thru its grommet until it seats against its washer. Rotate the tubes to orient for correct positioning to mate to the reservoir location.Then install back onto your car. Good luck it's actually not that hard to do.

Great explanation! Thank you! I'll give it a try!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.