Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any thoughts on this? Apparently they believe new bearings can be improved
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
I saw this and what they are talking about is the type of wheel bearings used in
914 rear.

Re-greasing new sealed bearings if racing with them

When we buy FAG or SKF bearings for $40 to $80, are they cheaping out on the
grease used within?
zambezi
Yes I have heard the same thing, maybe even on this site. This guarantees future sales for them.
Mueller
Makes sense to me, the grease installed is spec'd out for general purpose use.

What is really different than your front wheel bearings that you have to grease yourself?

I'm sure people with race cars spend a few more dollars on higher quality grease for their unsealed front wheel bearings instead of using cheaper general purpose grease.

When I use to order special spindle bearings used in Semiconductor processing equipment we had the option for different grease or oil (in simple terms, grease is really oil with a thickening agent, grease offers more resistance or drag over oil)

6freak
idea.gif
brant
I wish I had done that on the rear bearing I replaced 4 months ago.... and I also wish I had done that on the rear bearing I used to replace the 4-month old one, about 2 weeks ago.....
Mark Henry
I wish I had thought about this as well, but they are already installed.

On a similar note I've read a few times that clutch release bearings are not serviceable, but I found them quite easy to press apart, clean, regrease with Swepco 101 and press back together.
You do need a small press, but in a pinch you could do it with a vice.

Valy
No need to press out the clutch release bearings.
I clean them at high temp in an ultrasonic bath with degreaser.
Then I repack them under pressure.
Works like magic every time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.