Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels.....I can't stand them any suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
Hi these are the present wheels on my 1972 914. UGLY! Any suggestions? One enthusiast said I'm missing hubcap/covers. Thanks in advance!Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Hi Tom -

Those are actually not from 72 MY, those "Star Mag Style" steel wheels were the 73-76 base wheels on our 914s, as well as the special wheels used on Super Beetles of the day. They actually look better all silver as OE.

They should actually be painted all silver with black on the back, with a black plastic center cap - which you can see in well restored form in the O&H forum's Wheels & Tires nailed thread at the top, along with a bunch of the other OE wheels, as well as some aftermarket ones thrown in.

There were also a different silver painted steel 914 wheel for 70-72 MY - often with a baby moon sized hubcap (sometimes with chrome trim rings too), plus the Pedrini, Mahle & Fuchs 4-lug alloy wheels, the various flavors of 8-spoke Mini-Lite etc., Western wheels, & many more!

It all depends on what look you like, so also cruise 914 pix in google to see a variety (for any wheel choice, you'll want a 40ET offset though - not the VW offsets).

A common way we got the 5-spoke look without any hub adapters or mods, was the Riviera Alloys (they're on my 914 in the avatar).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Racer
I ran the same style on my '70-4. Till I cracked em. Well, 3 of the 5 developed cracks along the bolt holes. Silver paint made it easy to spot too.

Nothing really wrong than they look old and worn. Pull and clean em up or ditch em completely. Either with some factory alloys (Mahle, Pedrini or Fuchs) or aftermarket like Revolution or Minilite style wheels

And yes, there were center caps for them.
C-Ya MK
I powder coated mine and now I really like them.
rhodyguy
The crested cap looks great.
A&P Mech
I bead blasted mine and painted them. I really dig them now.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Hated the steelies on mine. Before and after:

Cuda911
Some wheel choices (forgot where I saved these images from, so credit whomever put this together):
Cuda911
Then there's the turtleback... is it a VW wheel?

steuspeed
4-bolt Fuchs about 500-800 depending on condition for a set. Add some alloy center caps from 914rubber.
Big Len
I have changed my mind and now I really like the steelies. I would paint them silver after widening them. Google them - they look fantastic.

Or this - https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3...=mrc&uact=8
rhodyguy
Who owns the red one with 4 lug steelies? Looks like the picture was taken at PRI (ustabe SIR).
rhodyguy
Think I figured it out. David Said's car.
KELTY360
If you want something a little different try painting the centers black and the lips silver. Looks really good.
NJTom
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 29 2016, 04:30 PM) *

Hi Tom -

Those are actually not from 72 MY, those "Star Mag Style" steel wheels were the 73-76 base wheels on our 914s, as well as the special wheels used on Super Beetles of the day. They actually look better all silver as OE.

They should actually be painted all silver with black on the back, with a black plastic center cap - which you can see in well restored form in the O&H forum's Wheels & Tires nailed thread at the top, along with a bunch of the other OE wheels, as well as some aftermarket ones thrown in.

There were also a different silver painted steel 914 wheel for 70-72 MY - often with a baby moon sized hubcap (sometimes with chrome trim rings too), plus the Pedrini, Mahle & Fuchs 4-lug alloy wheels, the various flavors of 8-spoke Mini-Lite etc., Western wheels, & many more!

It all depends on what look you like, so also cruise 914 pix in google to see a variety (for any wheel choice, you'll want a 40ET offset though - not the VW offsets).

A common way we got the 5-spoke look without any hub adapters or mods, was the Riviera Alloys (they're on my 914 in the avatar).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thank you
NJTom
Thank you!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jul 29 2016, 08:08 PM) *

Some wheel choices (forgot where I saved these images from, so credit whomever put this together):

The top half was from Pelican. I scraped up the photos, Wayne put the page together.

Not sure about the bottom half.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.