Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few more pics of my $100 73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daniel James
I was able to fix the front suspension so now it's a roller! I pulled the battery out and the tray has some rust holes in one corner but is still mounted in there firmly. Should I patch it up or pull it out to see what's going on underneath?

I'm not sure what is going on with the engine yet. I found the air filter and starter in the trunk along with the speedometer (84,000) miles. Keep in mind this is my first 914 so this next question might be dumb. in the trunk I also found a part that goes on the right side of the engine. It looks like a fan or something. The one on the left is still mounted in the car. Can any of you tell me what that is? Just curious. I'll put a pic of left side and battery tray/hell hole. I have not had a chance to inspect the rails for rust. Anyway, I know you all like pictures so here you go.
Daniel James
Left side and tray
Daniel James
Batt tray and from what I gather, the hell hole
Daniel James
I also removed the front bumper. It was a task because the last guy put in smaller nuts and bolts through the original threaded holes. I also need to have a key made. Is the door lock matched to the ignition on these cars? And if anyone wants to get rid of an extra set of wheels and tires near the Central Valley of CA that would be awesome. Or if someone wants to offer me an obscene amount of cash for the car I might think about selling this project. (This fulfills my obligation of listing car for sale per the wife). Lol
jrblackbox
nice car for a $100 bucks! Wish I could find 1!
76-914
Looks good. That is the fan for the heater.
ben*james
My first 914 was Olympic blue. I've loved the color ever since. Your fog lights appear to be from a 75 or 76. Steel rims probably from a 71 or 70?.. The antenna hole is usually seen on the driver side from what I recall. You've got an interesting car and absolutely worth saving. Best of luck with it and hey: post some more pictures!!
Localboy808
Nice score! Gratz!!
Larmo63
Clean it. Vacuum out all of the leaves and debris in the engine compartment.

We've seen worse, and that is Olympic Blue, a great 914 color.

I'd keep it and fix it up.

I wouldn't keep a wife who can tell me what car I can or can't keep.

My $.02
veekry9
Well,those 10 hole steelies can be refurbished for cheap,and it's the nice blue that can be buffed out(mostly).
Rubber,the stuff that's there is delicate,treat with care.
Fuel system is kaput,re n re,totally.
welcome.png

Let the obsession begin.
smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is how you do it.
smile.gif
Daniel James
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jul 30 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Well,those 10 hole steelies can be refurbished for cheap,and it's the nice blue that can be buffed out(mostly).
Rubber,the stuff that's there is delicate,treat with care.
Fuel system is kaput,re n re,totally.
welcome.png

Let the obsession begin.
smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is how you do it.
smile.gif

Lol I was able to talk the tow company into letting me steel those wheels off of a 71 super beetle vert that they were going to crush. 3 of the 4 wheels are bent but I can have Stockton wheel straighten them and then get them powder coated. Then I would have to come up with center caps.

Also the wife doesn't mind too much but I'm in the middle of a sportster build and renovating the house. With that being said I may just have to make this a long term project. Good thing it doesn't take up much room!
veekry9
Take pix,see you in a couple of years.
biggrin.gif
Yes,there is rust,but,do not be discouraged.
TheCabinetmaker
Don't waste money on those wheels. Wrong offset for a 914
Larmo63
agree.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.