Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT Project Temporary Webpage...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ajserrano
Please visit my temporary website at http://hobbystage.net/porsche/9146gt/ until I finish the permanent home...

If you do come across photos of some of the parts that I am missing to complete my 914-6 GT project, please feel free to pass them along to anyone you think may be able to offer some assistance in finding them. I have already spent over $100,000 in this project (not finished yet) and would like to continue with my main goal of using almost all 914-6 GT original factory parts. I would only compromise when the part is no longer available and reproduction is my only choice.

Below is a short list of the factory 914-6 GT parts I am now missing: confused24.gif

(1) Original Oil Pressure Relief Valve. pray.gif
(2) Original 914-6 Rally Muffler and Header Extensions. pray.gif
(3) Original 110 mm Aluminum Fuel Cap for 100 Liter GT Fuel Tank. pray.gif
(4) Original 70 mm Aluminum Oil Cap for GT Oil Filler Neck. pray.gif
(5) Original Aluminum Prop. Rod and 2 Hinges used in the Fiberglass & Balsa Wood Reinforced Front Trunk Lid. pray.gif
(6) Original Scheel Seat Rails. pray.gif
(7) Original Plexiglas Rear Window. pray.gif
(8) Original Plexiglas Driver and Passenger Windows. pray.gif

Not really missing a whole lot, but I think I am still forgetting something... blink.gif

I thank you ALL in advance for your assistance with my project.

Armando smile.gif
Jeroen
Hey Armando,

Do you already have the the mechanical headlight operating mechanism? biggrin.gif

You should check this guy (if you haven't already)

914 - Sport - IG
Udo Frey
Ippenstedter Straße 23
30982 Pattensen - Jeinsen

Tel: 0049 (0)5066 / 900-406
Fax: 0049 (0)5066 / 900-430
Mobil: 0049 (0)173 619 20 10

Email: udofrey@aol.com
URL: www.914-sport-ig.de

Ask him what you are looking for, he's got some pretty good resources.
Also check the German 914/6 club, they also have got lots of good leads and NOS or repro parts every once in a while

cheers,

Jeroen
ps. did I mention that I LOVE your project yet biggrin.gif
ajserrano
Thanks for the tips Jeroen!

I have no less than 2 complete "mechanical headlight riser kits" with "split pull cables" and all. These mechanisms were reproduced years ago by Jon Lowe (PCA Tech Committee, 914) from whom I purchased two kits at $375 each. The cables are another $175, so the complete kit is not cheap. At $550, still does not include the two (used) 911 front hood shock absorbers ($30 +/-).

I did ask Udo on several emails about any 914-6 GT original parts that may be available but I never received any real leads yet. A lot of 914-6 GT "involved contacts" like to keep those hard to find GT parts for a car they will some day build, as a conversation piece, or who knows all the real reasons why... I do know that there are GT parts still out there, for example; in private collections and auto museums as spare parts, no less. I just have to find them.

It makes it worth while spending all this money when I get encouragement and positive feedback about the car. I am glad you like my project. A lot of people think I am a little crazy mueba.gif or maybe going overboard wacko.gif Maybe they don't understand... I just say pissoff.gif

Please keep the leads coming on those parts I don't have yet. wink.gif

Thanks again!

Armando
Aaron Cox
keep up the good work...anxious to see final result clap56.gif
914Timo
Well, Armando.... I dont know what to say after seeing your webpage, again... blink.gif

You have really interesting project and I am very happy someone can do something like that and is willing to share it with others. Your webpage is now my favorite link beside 914CLUB. Every morning nearly first thing I do in the work I check if you have updated your site with new pics. I really like those pics. It is very interesting to see how you have done some parts and how the original cars look like.

I hope you will find all those missing parts.... Well, I am nearly sure about that wink.gif

Many thanks for publishing those interesting pics and stories. I really enjoy following your project. Good luck.
ajserrano
I get as much pleasure reading your replies as I do making this project a reality. Let me just say that is not only the money required to make this GT project happen, but the hundreds of hours talking to people and searching for parts, the emails, the "doing-it-again-until-it-is-correct" syndrome (you all have been there before, right?), the lost hours and $$$ from lost revenue of my primary business, simply, it is NOT EASY!

And why do we do this? For our love affair with the 914! Thank you for your kind words! wavey.gif

Armando
yarin
WOW! Your project is truely amazing, an inspiration for us all. It's fun to see a restoration with no budget limit. Any idea when it will be complete? When did you start?
ajserrano
Well, I am not sure about the "no budget limit", after going this far, do I stop at $125,000, $140,000?... <_< Where do you draw the line?

Over the years, I have owned three other 914-6 cars and have been buying GT related components thinking, "next year I should get started" but never did (for one reason or another). In reality, I started 20 or so years ago with the idea of this project, however, I did purchase my original 914-6 as the base for this GT project in August of 2002.

Listed below is a copy of my yet “To-Do” list (I’m sure we're still missing something!); blink.gif

Fabricate tooling to reproduce factory GT front oil cooler frame/screen.
Weld GT steel shock tower reinforcements.
Weld sway-bar stainless-steel reinforcement tube.
Weld floor-pan cross-member square-tubing (reinforce pedal cluster).
Remove existing 6-cyl. engine and 901 transmission.
Weld rear sway-bar brackets.
Weld posts for mechanical headlight raiser shock absorbers.
Trial fit, align and test mechanical headlight raisers.
Restore original 914-6 GT fiberglass front and rear fiberglass bumpers.
Restore original 914-6 GT fiberglass lower valance.
Fabricate tooling to reproduce aluminum front trunk lid pivot brackets.
Trial fit front fiberglass and balsa wood trunk lid.
Weld triangular support brackets for aluminum hood posts/pins (adjust).
Install front trunk lid hood pin plates.
Fabricate tooling to reproduce the aluminum rear trunk lid pivot brackets.
Trial fit rear fiberglass and balsa wood trunk lid.
Install rubber “draw-latches”.
Fabricate tooling to reproduce hinges and finish GT side rocker panels.
Fabricate/reproduce four GT lower seat rail brackets.
Rebuild Marelli Twin-plug 2.5 liter 6 cyl. Engine.
Fabricate new shift-rod for 916 side-shift transmission.
Fabricate GT roof reinforcements, finish GT targa top, trial fit and adjust.
Removed cracked windshield.
Fabricate and weld GT windshield frame reinforcements.
Finish powder coating remaining parts.
Restore all gauges.
Restore all doors window mechanism hardware.
Restore front headlight buckets, powder coat.
Re-align both doors.
Cut rectangular hole and fabricate door for engine fan-belt and distributor access.
Fabricate GT style roll-bar, weld attachment points in chassis, trial fit and test.
Re-check doors alignment.
Finish driver/passenger compartment area (remove soundproofing material, primer, prep. for paint).
Complete remaining body metal work, small dents, prime, bloc, etc.
Paint entire car.
Install front suspension, shocks, etc.
Install front sway-bar.
Install rear suspension, shocks etc.
Install rear sway-bar.
Install master cylinder.
Install rotors & calipers, bleed brakes, etc.
Test braking system.
Install new Euro wiring loom.
Install dashboard.
Install gauges.
Install rear light buckets, etc.
Install GT fuel gauge and wiring.
Install GT style seatbelts.
Install GT style seat rails.
Install GT Scheel racing bucket seats.
Re-install 100-liter fuel tank.
Re-install 908 front oil cooler, steel shroud, bug-screen and oil lines.
Install fuel pump, wiring and test.
Install all rubber seals.
Install new windshield.
Install new Plexiglas rear window.
Install door window hardware.
Install GT inner door panels, leather pull-strap and plastic door handle.
Install door latch/hardware.
Install front fiberglass trunk lid brackets, lid, alu. pins, etc.
Install rear fiberglass trunk lid brackets, lid, and rubber draw-latches.
Install Porsche round emblem to cover rear trunk lid lock hole.
Install VW-Porsche emblem.
Install 916 side-shift transmission
Install engine
Install GT headers.
Fabricate GT header extensions (if original is not found)
Fabricate GT Rally muffler (if original is not found)
Install brass side oil lines.
Install oil console and console extension.
Connect all engine oil lines.
Oil Pressure Relief Valve (still missing…) Now what?
Oil (no oil in engine!)
Complete engine wiring.
Test engine.

After reviewing my “timeline” and “to-do” list, I estimate we are about another 14 months away from completion and several thousand dollars more...

Next time we see an original 914-6 GT for sale and the owner is asking $100,000 or more, I'll for sure think twice before saying "he's crazy, asking too much!"... (for as long as the original GT is in overall very good condition and I don't have to pay another $100,000 restoring it!)
headbang.gif
L8Apex
BIG ENOUGH FONT?

Great site! I am truely jealous now. pray.gif
ajserrano
Not for me! I started wearing glasses a year ago and use a 22" monitor... Going blind! cool_shades.gif
Jeroen
Hey Armando,

Tell me about the "hinged" rocker panels
I don't think I've heard or seen that feature before...

cheers,

Jeroen
ajserrano
Evidently, a GT had a modified rocker with a hinged mechanism for access to the rear suspension. This modification kept the rocker in place while servicing the car. If you take a close look at this photo

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media.cgi?si...54533458-006394

and

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media.cgi?si...54534068-006395

in my temporary website, you will see why... wink.gif

See these photo links below also... (courtesy of Jon Lowe)

http://fly.hiwaay.net/%7Ejonlowe/colli15.jpg
http://fly.hiwaay.net/%7Ejonlowe/colli35.jpg
http://fly.hiwaay.net/%7Ejonlowe/colli36.jpg
http://fly.hiwaay.net/%7Ejonlowe/colli37.jpg
Jeroen
Thanks! I guess it's one of the features of the GT I hadn't noticed yet biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
ajserrano
huh.gif *** F Y I *** huh.gif

For anyone that may be interested in ordering a reproduction set of the 914-6 GT steel "shock tower reinforcements", they will only be available for a "limited time only". Here is why...

Currently, I have yet to weld the reproduction pieces in my 914-6 GT project to insure that ALL the sets we are currently fabricating fit accurately on both shock towers of the 914.

Once I weld the "steel shock tower reinforcements" in place, we will not have a 914 shock-tower "mock-up" to test for proper fit as my 914 now serves as part of the required reproduction tooling set. Additional tooling/molds will have to be fabricated at a high premium and I have no plans to spend any more money just to fabricate one or two more sets. It will not be worth it for me, besides, the price of those new sets will have to be increased from the current $1,800 to well over $2,000. At the current price of $1,800, these reproductions are not cheap!

We are currently fabricating 3 more sets and ALL are already spoken for.... Below is a link to the parts.

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media.cgi?si...56577685-006813

Today is June 26, 2003, and I will only stall my GT project for 3 more weeks. After that, my reinforcements will be welded in to continue with my GT project. beerchug.gif

If have any questions, please feel free to email me at "ajserrano@msn.com"

Thank you for your time! wink.gif

Armando
ajserrano
headbang.gif I need the public's help in finding the Scheel Seat Rails used on the 914-6 GT's...

Please go to my website at http://hobbystage.net/porsche/9146gt/ and look at the latest photos of my missing rails to see if you, or anyone you know may be able to offer some assistance.

Thank you! rolleyes.gif
krk
Armando,

I've been on the road (and otherwise engaged) for the last couple of months. Today, I got to spend a decent bit of time rummaging around your project site. And it has been an excellent time. You deserve several suitable beverages (probably from each 914club member) for posting your progress pics! There are always bits that most of us would just never know about the 914's history if not for sites like yours. (Jon's site is also a wonderful site!)

A question for you -- the rear fenders were re-done. I'm assuming that it was a tire fitment issue. But I was wondering if you had data/information on flare sizes from original GT cars to base your changes on?

Thx again for the progress pics -- I'm sure the group here will continue to be eyeing your progress! (enviously I might add)

kim.
Jeroen
Hey Armando,

Have you checked this site?

cheers,

Jeroen
AJS
Hello Kim!

I am glad to hear you find my site entertaining enough to peruse around for a while. The steel fender flares... I probably have to go over my notes to accurately answer your question, but this is what I read, was told, etc.

The GT's used 7x15 front and 8x15 wheels at the rear. Some GT cars used the "Minilite" wheels or a combination thereof (Minilites at the rear and Fuchs upfront). To my knowledge, there was a 914-6 GT that was built as a prototype to use the 908 Flat-8 racing engines. This GT, because of the added torque and H.P., could benefit from the use of larger rear tires and therefore, the 9x15 wheels were selected for this car. With the larger rear wheels and racing rubber, the Porsche factory stock steel fender flares were not wide enough and were extended to solve this problem.

Read this http://home.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/2sonauto011.JPG and look at this http://home.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/2sonauto03.JPG

Since I don't own a factory built GT, I have the flexibility to incorporate in my GT project any combination and/or modifications that was ever implemented in all the GT cars. Some of the more unusual features were the “9x15 Fuchs” in the rear and "wider" steel fender flares in back, the "hinged side-rockers", and the "domed" headlight steel covers. My GT will be unique in the sense that it will have all of these GT features combined. More photos can be found at Jon Lowe’s website, located at http://home.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/

You can see more photos of the #121 prototype 914-6 GT at http://home.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/2sonauto08.JPG

I can’t remember the exact specification or size of the factory produced steel fender flares and will have to look this up for you later. Depending on the expertise and talent of the individual doing the steel fender flare installation, even if you started with the stock factory steel fender flare, you could actually extend the steel flare by at least an extra 1/2 inch or more without having to do the extra cutting, etc. that we did to correctly (and proportionally) space the rear steel flares. We used our method of installation to retain the intended look and shape of the steel fender flares and not make them too boxy looking. Grafting several pieces of metal between the spaced steel flares and the body of the 914, then making them look as if they were all one-piece, takes talent. See the links above of the extended rear flares on the #121 car and note how boxy looking they really are. I actually considered and almost used the 11x15 Fuch wheels at the rear for that "extra-wider-aggressive-look" but changed my mind because it would make them look waaayyy toooo wide!!! blink.gif
AJS
Jeroen, no, I have never seen that 911 RS site you suggested and already sent them an email.

Thank you for your tip!

Armando
Jeroen
Hey Armando,

Hmmm... I just rechecked your page, and see that you are not so much looking for the rails, but a typical release-lever...
Not what I was thinking about when forwarding the above site, but heck, you never know biggrin.gif

Other than that, you could try Kevin Jeanette from Gunnar Racing. He seems to be a(nother) sucker for details like this.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is just another VW part

On the other hand, the part that is welded to the frame looks like an ordinary hinge from a house-door. The lever itself looks kinda familiar too...

Good luck in your queste!

cheers,

Jeroen

PS
Cool! The bubble on the headlight cover is another feature I was ignorant about biggrin.gif
What's it for?
thesey914
Jeroen, I thought exactly that -"what's the bump for"?. It looks too far back to foul an extra large lense a more powerful light might have.
Quote from Jon Lowes (amazing) site ........."Unique bump on the headlight door to clear extra large racing lights. "

Maybe its to clear the connections at the back of the headlight pod?
AJS
IMHO, that GT used a higher power dual-bulb racing headlamp, the bulb and connectors was obviously larger and needed relief...

I am not sure of the brand/model lamp used (Carrelo?) (sp), but I will make that modification as well and worry about getting the correct headlights later. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.