Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electric problem w/ frankfurt deck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I've got a blaupunkt Frankfurt deck with 6 & 7 pin DIN ports on the back. my understanding is that the 6 is mono & the 7 is stereo.

I'm using the image that floats around the internet (including here) for how to build an input cable for the 7 pin. problem is, any time I power the deck on with this connected it pops the 7amp fuse I'm running the deck on. The wires on the non-connector end are still loose, so I can easily try different wirings. Doesn't matter what I do, power on equals POP!

If I power it on with the plug in everything is fine. The plug jumpers a set of the pins. But if I try to jumper my wires the same way, POP!. I'm getting continuity across each wire and have triple checked the wire to pin mapping.

anyone every made one of these and have any ideas for me?
Spoke
Could you post the DIN pinouts or provide a link?
bradtho
thanks, here's the pic. I haven't done anything w/ the ground to shielding on pin-out 6 because I don't actually have any shielding on the wires. I could run this to the same ground as the deck is using. that's the only thing I've considered trying to do, but I don't really understand electronics well enough to know if that's a good idea or a bad idea!

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
The ground is the negative half of the signal. You should need it to get any audio. The other wire are the left and right positive signal. Most early head units use a common ground signal; chassis ground is signal ground.
GeorgeRud
If you get too frustrated, these cables are available on eBay already prewired. But, basically you're tapping into the left and right channels between the tuner and amp on the radio. I've made the cable (along with a switching box) to allow me to use either the tuner or my iPod on my mono Frankfurt. Works better than I thought it would!
stugray
A common mistake made when wiring connections: is the diagram for the male side or the female side? Some diagrams show the back of the connector to make it easier to wire
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.