Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cover up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Question regarding Covering a car, or in this case cars.

I'm in the beginning stages of building a large workshop and will have to store my cars outside, until it is completed. Depending on how things go, the construction may go through the winter, which means the teeners will sit out in the cold. Does anybody know of a reasonably priced cover out there that will last through the winter but will breathe, and what other pointers does anyone have regarding proper storage techniques.

Suppose I could also just put them out without a cover, but thought this would cause havoc with the interior fading and possibly causing the rust to grow further.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
sixnotfour
been there done that.. standard car covers and recycled billboards.. have 2 14' x 48's tough...one is suicide prevention the other I cant remember content will vary ,,black side up.. haha

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&sid=72770&ad=32253310
Gunn1
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 31 2016, 05:37 PM) *

been there done that.. standard car covers and recycled billboards.. have 2 14' x 48's tough...one is suicide prevention the other I cant remember content will vary ,,black side up.. haha

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&sid=72770&ad=32253310

You gave me a great idea.

I've got some 15 mil membrane that's used as a liner in the bottom of man made ponds.

Going to check that out tomorrow......but membrane doesn't Breathe.

Want to store them and try not to go backwards..
Tom_T
I use WeatherTech's top line all weather cover - it's something like 7 yr. warranty & good for snow, rain & wind, but not rough on the inside, & it breathes. They're not cheap - IIRC the BWM E30 325e semi-custom one I got with the mirror pockets was about $120 about 7 years ago & it's still good & weatherproof (they're a bit less for the generic type S-M-L sizes). Out here in SoCal the constant sun & smog ate up all the others I'd tried in 2-3 years.

Good thing is, you can still use them long term when the cars are running!

That pond membrane won't breathe, & I'd think that your MN humidity would have "sweat" on the underside against the car bodies.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Gunn1
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 1 2016, 12:58 AM) *

I use WeatherTech's top line all weather cover - it's something like 7 yr. warranty & good for snow, rain & wind, but not rough on the inside, & it breathes. They're not cheap - IIRC the BWM E30 325e semi-custom one I got with the mirror pockets was about $120 about 7 years ago & it's still good & weatherproof (they're a bit less for the generic type S-M-L sizes). Out here in SoCal the constant sun & smog ate up all the others I'd tried in 2-3 years.

Good thing is, you can still use them long term when the cars are running!

That pond membrane won't breathe, & I'd think that your MN humidity would have "sweat" on the underside against the car bodies.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,

Thank you for the great information.

Good point on being able to use the covers after the restore process
maf914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 31 2016, 09:58 PM) *

"They're not cheap" and you're not kidding. laugh.gif

I didn't know WeatherTech made car covers so I checked their site for a 914 outdoor cover. $475! shades.gif

http://www.weathertech.com/sunbrella/
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jul 31 2016, 05:40 PM) *

Question regarding Covering a car, or in this case cars.

I'm in the beginning stages of building a large workshop and will have to store my cars outside, until it is completed. Depending on how things go, the construction may go through the winter, which means the teeners will sit out in the cold. Does anybody know of a reasonably priced cover out there that will last through the winter but will breathe, and what other pointers does anyone have regarding proper storage techniques.

Suppose I could also just put them out without a cover, but thought this would cause havoc with the interior fading and possibly causing the rust to grow further.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Try Auto Anything. I've used them in the past for several cars and all there covers are custom made to fit. Our 2008 Passat VR6 sits all winter, indoors, and is always covered

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/10A50166.aspx
JmuRiz
I used a Noah cover from covercraft (I think) when I had to store mine outside. It did wonders. I actually put one of the bikini covers over the top, then the Noah on top of that.

Did something similar with my Mercedes when it had to be outside for a time. I think both cars fared well.

BTW: give it a good paint sealant treatment and wax before doing so...if you have nice paint.
steuspeed
I get condensation in the car. I pull my cover off after it rains to air it out. I pop the trunks and air them out as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.